Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrate to Canada or Australia

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I accept that, just like I accept that, from the links above, it would appear that very few people are bitten by a snake while sitting on the shitter!
Ah, but if it is a pit shitter in the outback who knows whats going to come up and bite you on the backside. One thing for sure, it's unlikely to be a bear.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you are quite right. what is brushed over though is there are thousands of snake and spider bites each year, LINK below, excert - Each year in Australia as many as 4,000 people are bitten. Of these 200 require anti venom treatment and one bite proves fatal.- i would say that there are not thousands of bear bites, clawings, encounters involving injury only.

the difference between the last person killed JUST by a SPIDER and now, is the anti venom that has been developed and that is now more readily available, all in the LINK.

Now i know whats coming, you can't get an anti bear bite shot, once your leg has been gnawed off its pretty much gone. thats what large calibre rifles are for though i would contend.

http://www.spiderzrule.com/bites.htm

http://www.badspiderbites.com/wolf-spider/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...nel-web_spider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-identification.html

http://www.sydney100.com/snakes-spiders-sharks.htm

LINKS not just for you AC if you get my drift.

Sure.

It seems though that, statistically, one is more likely to be injured driving a vehicle in England than bitten by a snake in Australia. Would this be a reason not to live in England? (accepting of course that there are many more reasons not to want to live in England)
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:32 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you wouldn't be saying that if a big spider was crawling up your sheets to the bottom of your bed.
depends if it's spiderman or just the run of the mill redback

That's why I don't live in OZ - as the very old song goes "I don't like spiders and snakes".............................
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:34 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Sure.

It seems though that, statistically, one is more likely to be injured driving a vehicle in England than bitten by a snake in Australia. Would this be a reason not to live in England? (accepting of course that there are many more reasons not to want to live in England)
what are road deaths like in aus though? i've seen mad max, its looks bloody crazy to me.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:36 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
depends if it's spiderman or just the run of the mill redback

That's why I don't live in OZ - as the very old song goes "I don't like spiders and snakes".............................
i don't want anything biting me on the arse, or anything else around there for that matter. its alright for you girls, but us boys have things dangling into the pot when we sit down you know, and for those of us who dangle a lot that must look pretty tempting to a spider.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface

http://www.imeem.com/msbeckyboop/mus...rs-and-snakes/

Or the attached if linky don't work.

What's this VERY old, it's only mid-70's for goodness sakes.

Old is 40's or 50's.
Attached Files

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 21st 2009 at 5:55 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
would you lift that lid and have a look though? i know i bloody would, every time.
I think you might have a bit of a problem. Does your wife have to deal with creepy crawlies at home?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:04 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
for those of us who dangle a lot that must look pretty tempting to a spider.
<snigger>
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Sure.

I make this point a lot. It seems quite common for people to say they wouldn't live in Australia because of the spiders and snakes but I have lived in a few places in Australia and I have only ever seen one snake, a handful of lizards (crossing the road in the bush usually as you drive towards them) and I think three venomous spiders. It is not a reason not to live in Australia. And unlike bears, none of these insects actively hunt people either.

I just make the point that you can live in both Canada and Australia without risking your life every day with deadly creatures. You're more likely to get beaten to death by a scumbag or run over by a drunk in either place!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:01 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hereandthere;8115577] And unlike bears, none of these insects actively hunt people either.

QUOTE]

Bears are actively hunting people in Canada? Really?
I have cartoon bears jumping out on hapless campers running through my head.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:06 pm

Ok, so my experience of Canadian bears is limited to BC bear watching trip and I have never been to Oz, but for those who would like to see bears who weren't hunting people, this was a good BBC doc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00np2gk

Might not work for those of you not in UK.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Bali2010;8115586]
Originally Posted by hereandthere
And unlike bears, none of these insects actively hunt people either.

QUOTE]

Bears are actively hunting people in Canada? Really?
I have cartoon bears jumping out on hapless campers running through my head.
Yep, they are standing behind trees waiting for hapless tourists, ready to pounce
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:06 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
http://www.imeem.com/msbeckyboop/mus...rs-and-snakes/

Or the attached if linky don't work.

What's this VERY old, it's only mid-70's for goodness sakes.

Old is 40's or 50's.
Was it really? well I remeber it well then! although I was a kid at that point in time.......vhave to say I still love listening to 70's music.........
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by rae
i don't want anything biting me on the arse, or anything else around there for that matter. its alright for you girls, but us boys have things dangling into the pot when we sit down you know, and for those of us who dangle a lot that must look pretty tempting to a spider.
just as I was about to offer as well..............
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:18 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think you might have a bit of a problem. Does your wife have to deal with creepy crawlies at home?
yes i do, but no she doesn't. i'm one of these people who spend 10minutes trying to get it to crawl on some paper then flick it out the door so i don't have to touch it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.