Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:15 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrate to Canada or Australia

Originally Posted by rae
no shit. an email went around recently and i have bloody deleted it, i must try and get it back. actually dboy may have it cause i am sure it was an RCMP lad. anyway, cop hunting gets stalked by this grizzly, luckily he has a remington rifle with him, or i think thats what it was. anyway, a bloody big gun, and he slots this thing, several times. the photo on the email shows his head next to the bears, like this 0 0, only it was nothing like that cause it was not a 0 and it had loads of blood teeth and fur and stuff and still looked mean as a bastard even though it was brown bread.
anyway, when they cut bear open they find half a person and another 5 small calibre rounds from a pistol. tracking back, said person is found. looks like his firearm did not cut the mustard and the bear ate him.

you can shoot bears, try shooting a spider.
But you can't flush bears down the plug hole.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
figures/links then please.
Google it. Deaths by shark in Australia in 20th century, and death by bear in Canada in 20th century. In fact it is way, way higher.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:25 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
no shit. an email went around recently and i have bloody deleted it, i must try and get it back. actually dboy may have it cause i am sure it was an RCMP lad. anyway, cop hunting gets stalked by this grizzly, luckily he has a remington rifle with him, or i think thats what it was. anyway, a bloody big gun, and he slots this thing, several times. the photo on the email shows his head next to the bears, like this 0 0, only it was nothing like that cause it was not a 0 and it had loads of blood teeth and fur and stuff and still looked mean as a bastard even though it was brown bread.
anyway, when they cut bear open they find half a person and another 5 small calibre rounds from a pistol. tracking back, said person is found. looks like his firearm did not cut the mustard and the bear ate him.

you can shoot bears, try shooting a spider.
I though that story was about a forestry worker in BC. Put two clips into the the bear before it died. It was later found to have been shot before and to have eaten someone.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:54 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I though that story was about a forestry worker in BC. Put two clips into the the bear before it died. It was later found to have been shot before and to have eaten someone.
he's smashed on Bud light
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
he's smashed on Bud light
That takes some doing.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

That takes some doing.
he's lightweight
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:30 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had a of a problem with bears in Burnaby coming down from the mountain into North Burnaby we usually a half dozen a year. If anyone knows the area, it would be like a bear wandering around a inner city suburb in a UK city - we are not talking rural.

I was once called to a cougar trapped in a kitchen - took wildlife hours to show up. He just sat there looking at us under the table. I think he was more scared than we were - he was taken alive!

The most frightening calls i've has as a member are not some desperate bank robber, it's been bear calls and i'm all fingers and thumbs when it comes to shotguns - when you put a 2.5 foot piece of metal between yourself and a bear, you hope to god you loaded it right. And unless you have a serious hunting rifle or a shot gun loaded with a slug (not double O buck) I wouldn't bother - handgun rounds will just piss him off.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...ee029a&k=41055
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
We've had a of a problem with bears in Burnaby coming down from the mountain into North Burnaby we usually a half dozen a year. If anyone knows the area, it would be like a bear wandering around a inner city suburb in a UK city - we are not talking rural.
My father-in-law gets them in his garden all the time on the outskirts of Maple Ridge. Certainly makes gardening a little more exciting.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:07 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy

I was once called to a cougar trapped in a kitchen - took wildlife hours to show up. He just sat there looking at us under the table. I think he was more scared than we were - he was taken alive!

The most frightening calls i've has as a member are not some desperate bank robber, it's been bear calls and i'm all fingers and thumbs when it comes to shotguns - when you put a 2.5 foot piece of metal between yourself and a bear, you hope to god you loaded it right. And unless you have a serious hunting rifle or a shot gun loaded with a slug (not double O buck) I wouldn't bother - handgun rounds will just piss him off.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...ee029a&k=41055
i heard somewhere that in the USA they shoot the bears with rubber bullets to try make them afraid of humans. is this true?
if it works, why not do it in canada?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:21 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

you are right thats the one, i thought it was RCMP but now you mention forestry worker it puts the bulb on. don't suppose you have the photo do you?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:29 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Google it. Deaths by shark in Australia in 20th century, and death by bear in Canada in 20th century. In fact it is way, way higher.
no thanks, i am not the one making the suggestion. and you said snakes, spiders and sharks not just sharks. if you are making these statements as fact then they need to be supported.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The OP joined on Nov 14, made one post. I guess we answered his question.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:33 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But you can't flush bears down the plug hole.
very true. but you have to pick it up to put it down the plug hole, and you must have big plug holes in aus to get one of these down.
Attached Thumbnails Migrate to Canada or Australia-huntsman_spider_1_mid.jpg  
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:34 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The OP joined on Nov 14, made one post. I guess we answered his question.
hes probably been eaten, stung or bitten by now hence the lack of reply. either that or some large hairy aussie with three teeth left is taking him roughly from behind.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:52 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
i heard somewhere that in the USA they shoot the bears with rubber bullets to try make them afraid of humans. is this true?
if it works, why not do it in canada?
I never heard of that. No idea. The reality is that Wildlife issues are not a primary police function and is more of a default issue when there is a risk to the public - if we get there before wildlife - which we always do, I'm sad to say the bear is going to get shot, if he represents a danger to the public. We are simply not trained or equipped to deal with bears etc. Most front line officers in large urban areas don't readily use shot guns anymore.

Such calls though are still extremely rare. People who live in areas where there are more bears around learn to live with them - tie up the garbage, don't let small dogs/children out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.