Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrate to Canada or Australia

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
See, I found the opposite. I could not hack the heat at all, or the sun which is very strong in Australia. I prefer the climate here (Vancouver).
I like sunny, nice weather, not the 'melt your face off kind. I had a shock in Bali one time. The lens cap off my camera melted when I left it outside! That can't be a healthy climate.

For me the typical Vancouver summer is just perfect. Its the present weather that get to me
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:39 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budgie1
OK - I'm an Australian who moved to Canada as a PR two years ago so I can give you an Ozzie perspective.

Medical - Canada all public versus Aus 2 Tier - overall you will pay more for medical treatment in Australia but you also get better treatment. Not a make or break decision regardless IMHO.

Education - no kids so can't comment other then to say that University seems to be much cheaper in Australia (HECS system is very good) than over here.

Jobs - I moved from Sydney to Vancouver as an accounting professional and couldn't find any decent jobs until I moved to Calgary (more head offices, I'd assume I would have found a good job in Toronto easily enough too).

It is really pointless comparing Canada vs Australia overall on this front - you will be better off researching into the exact cities you are interested in moving to for a more relevant comparison as both countries are too diverse. Perth is of course Australia's rough equivalent to Alberta for oil work, Sydney/Melbourne versus Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver for IT??

Australian economy looks stronger than Canada give we've already started lifting interst rates.

I personally didn't find any of the 'canadian experience' issues often thrown about and have far more leave here than I did in Australia - but I think that is the exception of the rule.

Culture - not much cricket here in Canada! Australia is more 'commonwealth' oriented, Canada definately US dominated.

Weather - huge difference obviously but having survived my first Calgary winter last year, nothing you couldn't adapt to either way.

Cost of Living - overall Calgary for us blows away (in positive sense) any big Australian city in terms of wages versus basic living costs, but again it will depend on your own job and family situation.

In all honesty they are similar countries with good standards of living - I'd just go for whichever one catches your fancy more. Never underestimate the fun factor!
what about the spiders though, i notice you don't mention the spiders eh.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:39 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Not down your local suburb no. It's as absurd as someone saying I'm not moving to Canada because of the bears. Which by the way kill loads more people every year than spiders, snakes and sharks put together in Aus.
figures/links then please.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:41 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
what about the spiders though, i notice you don't mention the spiders eh.
you're killing me tonght..............
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:45 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Natch, one expects such a response, and now I reply with how I saw a bear walking through a Canadian suburb on TV once.

The bottom line you are not going to come into contact with these things unless you're on their turf, or very unlucky. Bears kill more people in Canada than sharks do in Australia, yet the shark holds more fear for people because it is scary whereas bears also come made of polyster and live in the ends of beds all round the world.

None of these prejudices (death by spider, pom-bashing, savaged by bear) should be used as a reason not to move to Aus or Can - that's all I'm saying, yet people really do say it.
what utter tosh, spiders are everywhere, so are the snakes. bears do not live in my roof space or under the house or in my back garden.
part of the appeal of moving to aus is this beach life. therefore things that effect your beach life become things that effect your move. therefore things as big as a car with teeth like my mother in law swimming around where you fancy a dip, have an effect, cause you won't dip, if you catch my drift.
then there are the sea snakes, barracudas, jellyfish. i could go on. i really could. and saying the aussies don't have an issue with the brits is like saying the israelis don't have an issue with the palestinians.

now your average bear, living in the woods, miles away, eating 'is porridge all quiet like, is not a fret to anyone i wud say.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:48 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by dollface
you're killing me tonght..............
i'm going to make him 'av it. i saw a spider on the TV once, big as a house it was, chased this guy in a floppy hat into a blue postbox or somethink. that was in australia.

i've been on a shit course all day, there is nothing on tele, family are all ill in bed, so i'm getting pissed and taking the piss.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:50 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i'm going to make him 'av it. i saw a spider on the TV once, big as a house it was, chased this guy in a floppy hat into a blue postbox or somethink. that was in australia.

i've been on a shit course all day, there is nothing on tele, family are all ill in bed, so i'm getting pissed and taking the piss.
Share..........what you drinking? Timmies?

Yeah, the spider/snake/shark thing puts me off, although my best mate lives in Oz and she's rarely seen any of the 3.............only ont telly, possibly the same show you saw!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:54 am
rae
Settled.

Share..........what you drinking? Timmies?

Yeah, the spider/snake/shark thing puts me off, although my best mate lives in Oz and she's rarely seen any of the 3.............only ont telly, possibly the same show you saw!
bloody bud light, only thing left. wifes. lets see how generous she is in the morning when she realises its all gone.

friend lives in perth, has done for 4yrs, redbacks bane of her life apparently and none of them swim in the sea anymore. thats the friends not the redbacks. though i believe that is a possibility for all those going to aus, swimming poisonous spiders.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
bloody bud light, only thing left. wifes. lets see how generous she is in the morning when she realises its all gone.

friend lives in perth, has done for 4yrs, redbacks bane of her life apparently and none of them swim in the sea anymore.
One day we are going to read about some copper whose been eaten by a bear, and it will be you in some cruel twist of irony.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by rae

friend lives in perth, has done for 4yrs, redbacks bane of her life apparently and none of them swim in the sea anymore.
Bud light? get her on to Miller GD at least..............make her breakkie in the morning then tell her you've had her last beer.....

So when's your pal moving from Perth?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
One day we are going to read about some copper whose been eaten by a bear, and it will be you in some cruel twist of irony.
because he didn't pay it forward
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:03 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
no shit. an email went around recently and i have bloody deleted it, i must try and get it back. actually dboy may have it cause i am sure it was an RCMP lad. anyway, cop hunting gets stalked by this grizzly, luckily he has a remington rifle with him, or i think thats what it was. anyway, a bloody big gun, and he slots this thing, several times. the photo on the email shows his head next to the bears, like this 0 0, only it was nothing like that cause it was not a 0 and it had loads of blood teeth and fur and stuff and still looked mean as a bastard even though it was brown bread.
anyway, when they cut bear open they find half a person and another 5 small calibre rounds from a pistol. tracking back, said person is found. looks like his firearm did not cut the mustard and the bear ate him.

you can shoot bears, try shooting a spider.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:05 am
rae
Settled.

Bud light? get her on to Miller GD at least..............make her breakkie in the morning then tell her you've had her last beer.....

So when's your pal moving from Perth?
shes in the pool now, quite happy, thats friend not wife. wife may be in a pool of sweat as flu oncoming.
breakfast in bed is just a precursor to sex. i am not shagging sick people.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by rae
shes in the pool now, quite happy, thats friend not wife. wife may be in a pool of sweat as flu oncoming.
breakfast in bed is just a precursor to sex. i am not shagging sick people.
Poor woman- having flu I mean - and being married to you! Better shagging a sick person that a dead one nite all!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:17 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by G77
Those things wouldn't put me off - the main thing for me now is the Ozzies I've dealt with at work or run into here have been the most self righteous, pompous, pedantic, irritating idiots I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Not to say that all are like that of course, but has been enough to put me off!
and they like the chocolate starfish a lot apparently. threads elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.