Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Migrate to Canada or Australia

Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrate to Canada or Australia

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I think "plenty" is an exaggeration when you mean "southern BC and VI" - and even then you're looking at a lot of rainfall, which might not be an incentive to move if you hate British weather.
I don't think they're referring to Vancouver Island or Coastal BC/Vancouver - I think they're referring to the interior of BC (Kamloops) and the Okanagan Valley region (Kelowna, Osoyoos, etc.), which is not only frequently 30-40 degrees in the summer, but very, very arid year round. It's a completely different climate than coastal BC. In fact, Osoyoos (only a 5 hour drive east of Vancouver) is technically desert. Very similar to Southern California and South Australia in climate.

Last edited by Lychee; Nov 18th 2009 at 12:56 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I don't think they're referring to Vancouver Island or Coastal BC/Vancouver - I think they're referring to the interior of BC (Kamloops) and the Okanagan Valley region (Kelowna, Osoyoos, etc.), which is not only frequently 30-40 degrees in the summer, but very, very arid year round. It's a completely different climate than coastal BC. In fact, Osoyoos (only a 5 hour drive east of Vancouver) is technically desert. Very similar to Southern California and South Australia in climate.
Even with the inclusion of these regions we are still talking about a small percentage of inhabited Canada. The vast majority of it has extremely cold and long winters. As for Osoyoos, etc., regular highs there in the summer are more like 38 and the average summer temp is 30. 30 degrees in most parts of Australia is a cool day - trust me I'm having one today - and a high of 48 last year is expected to get broken this year. This is because Osoyoos is on the same latitude as France and Germany and South Australia is on the same latitude as Morocco or Saudi Arabia.

Also, remember that we are comparing an inland area of BC with coastal Australia. Inland South Australia has officially reached just a shade under 51 degrees, and Queensland has gone to 53.

When I made my point to the OP about extremes I really wanted to convey that both countries will provide a challenge. I didn't want it to turn into a dick-measuring contest about temperatures - even one as ridiculous as people trying to compare a British Columbian summer with that of the Australian outback. I could hav emadethe point that Australia also sees temperatures as cold as much of Canada, including a -23 measured in 1994 in NSW. But I didn't because like I said - this isn't a contest, although someone upthread kind of made it one I guess.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

30 degrees in most parts of Australia is a cool day - trust me I'm having one today - and a high of 48 last year is expected to get broken this year.
Seems like a good reason not to live there.

Osoyoos is on the same latitude as France and Germany and South Australia is on the same latitude as Morocco or Saudi Arabia.
I think some geography and climatology lessons might be in order.

Morocco 33°N

Saudi Arabia 21-26°N

Australia approx 12 - 35°S
Different hemispheres!

55°N London, Dawson Creek BC, Grand Prairie AB, quite different climates.
Latitude is only a part of the climate of a region.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:34 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herculepirate
Hello,

We are on the verge of deciding which location we choose to migrate to and later on decide on citizenship ....

I am an Oilfield Engineering Professional and my wife is an IT SAP ABAP professional.
I have read the Canada vs Australia article.....

I would love to have more inputs on this issue:

My decision will be based on
1. Job opportunities and Pay packages.
2. Health Care (I have read that healthcare is bad compared to the US and a patient would have to wait for months before a critical diagnosis is made .... Also Canada has only 1 insurance company and they decide what issues are insured or not.)

HP
Okay I have to know...where did you read this? Cos that's some pretty funny shizz right there.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:25 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Even with the inclusion of these regions we are still talking about a small percentage of inhabited Canada. The vast majority of it has extremely cold and long winters. As for Osoyoos, etc., regular highs there in the summer are more like 38 and the average summer temp is 30. 30 degrees in most parts of Australia is a cool day - trust me I'm having one today - and a high of 48 last year is expected to get broken this year. This is because Osoyoos is on the same latitude as France and Germany and South Australia is on the same latitude as Morocco or Saudi Arabia.

Also, remember that we are comparing an inland area of BC with coastal Australia. Inland South Australia has officially reached just a shade under 51 degrees, and Queensland has gone to 53.

When I made my point to the OP about extremes I really wanted to convey that both countries will provide a challenge. I didn't want it to turn into a dick-measuring contest about temperatures - even one as ridiculous as people trying to compare a British Columbian summer with that of the Australian outback. I could hav emadethe point that Australia also sees temperatures as cold as much of Canada, including a -23 measured in 1994 in NSW. But I didn't because like I said - this isn't a contest, although someone upthread kind of made it one I guess.
I've never been to OZ, never liked Ozzies - put me off - silly I know, but i once worked with 4 of them and little old me for about 3 months- drove me nuts.

I think I would prefer the sunshine to Vancouver's winters, which I agree are crap, at least for about 75 - 80 percent of the time. The trade off, I hear, is skiing. Not sure if I would be able to handle the extreme heat though.

I think the weather is one of those personal things that mean more to some than others. I lived in Miami and quite frankly the sun etc becomes part of the background and was n't a consideration at all in moving.

To me the downside to OZ is that's in the middle of nowhere. This, like the weather is a personal thing.

I think cost of living and standard of living wise there ain't much in it. Comes down to heat vs cold ..... and isolation as someone has already pointed out.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I've never been to OZ, never liked Ozzies - put me off - silly I know, but i once worked with 4 of them and little old me for about 3 months- drove me nuts.

I think I would prefer the sunshine to Vancouver's winters, which I agree are crap, at least for about 75 - 80 percent of the time. The trade off, I hear, is skiing. Not sure if I would be able to handle the extreme heat though.

I think the weather is one of those personal things that mean more to some than others. I lived in Miami and quite frankly the sun etc becomes part of the background and was n't a consideration at all in moving.

To me the downside to OZ is that's in the middle of nowhere. This, like the weather is a personal thing.

I think cost of living and standard of living wise there ain't much in it. Comes down to heat vs cold ..... and isolation as someone has already pointed out.
Hi dboy

Yes the heat can be draining at first but like you say it becomes part of the background in a way that extreme cold just cannot. When it gets really hot you slow down and relax, sit outside in the shade with a cold drink and a good book, wait for the sun to cool and go swimming. In my experience I have found this easier to deal with than long cold winters, and I think this is the majority view, expecially among older people (not me) because there isn't a universal desire all round the world to retire to the snow. Weeks of 28-32 degrees and really low humidity are the classic Mediterranean climate and it's really very pleasant - I can't complain. This morning we were at about 30 but now we're overcast and 38 and it's not too bad - but only because it was hotter last week and I've acclimatised. Not too long ago it dropped to 22 and I was quite put-out! So you do get used to it. I recall going back to London one February and it was 3 or 4 degrees - very early in the morning, and my word that felt so cold.

But I stress I am not saying this as a kind of hidden dig at Canada, as it must invariably be taken by those of a certain disposition. I like Canada a lot and consider it to be a great place to live, especially as a younger person (not sure about the retirement aspect - quite a few on here seem to be going back to UK to retire because of the winters). I think very highly of Vancouver and the Island and the people I met there.

Last edited by hereandthere; Nov 18th 2009 at 3:34 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:05 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dboy

Yes the heat can be draining at first but like you say it becomes part of the background in a way that extreme cold just cannot. When it gets really hot you slow down and relax, sit outside in the shade with a cold drink and a good book, wait for the sun to cool and go swimming. In my experience I have found this easier to deal with than long cold winters, and I think this is the majority view, expecially among older people (not me) because there isn't a universal desire all round the world to retire to the snow. Weeks of 28-32 degrees and really low humidity are the classic Mediterranean climate and it's really very pleasant - I can't complain. This morning we were at about 30 but now we're overcast and 38 and it's not too bad - but only because it was hotter last week and I've acclimatised. Not too long ago it dropped to 22 and I was quite put-out! So you do get used to it. I recall going back to London one February and it was 3 or 4 degrees - very early in the morning, and my word that felt so cold.

But I stress I am not saying this as a kind of hidden dig at Canada, as it must invariably be taken by those of a certain disposition. I like Canada a lot and consider it to be a great place to live, especially as a younger person (not sure about the retirement aspect - quite a few on here seem to be going back to UK to retire because of the winters). I think very highly of Vancouver and the Island and the people I met there.
Don't think I could hack the extreme cold either. A lot of Canadians migrate in the winter months to phoenix and what have you. Best place i'v experienced weather wise is San Diego - its the least variable climate in the world.

8 months here varies between great, nice and alright - the other 4 is wet and dreary. I try to get away during this time to break it up. It's manageable for the most part, but does get to you at times.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:29 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

When I made my point to the OP about extremes I really wanted to convey that both countries will provide a challenge. I didn't want it to turn into a dick-measuring contest about temperatures - even one as ridiculous as people trying to compare a British Columbian summer with that of the Australian outback.
My post made no such comparisons, nor did it imply any, and having lived in outback Australia it wouldn't make sense to. I merely stated that there are areas of Canada that do offer reliable hot, dry summers without extreme winter temperatures too.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dboy
Don't think I could hack the extreme cold either. A lot of Canadians migrate in the winter months to phoenix and what have you. Best place i'v experienced weather wise is San Diego - its the least variable climate in the world.

8 months here varies between great, nice and alright - the other 4 is wet and dreary. I try to get away during this time to break it up. It's manageable for the most part, but does get to you at times.
In Vancouver you're in the perfect place to snowbird down to SD anyway - and the SoCal climate is very nice and dry like here. That's another great thing about Canada - the proximity to all those US cities and sights. For me it's a six hour flight to Singapore and man oh man do they screw you on airfares down here.

Also, we should all remember how lucky we all are to be talking like this - a lot of people just do not have these opportunities. If I got Australian citizenship I would have the right to settle in 29 countries - how amazing is that? (EU nations + Aus & NZ). I've always fancied living in certain parts of Italy as well and would love to give that a try before the final curtain.

Last edited by hereandthere; Nov 18th 2009 at 4:34 am.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

OK - I'm an Australian who moved to Canada as a PR two years ago so I can give you an Ozzie perspective.

Medical - Canada all public versus Aus 2 Tier - overall you will pay more for medical treatment in Australia but you also get better treatment. Not a make or break decision regardless IMHO.

Education - no kids so can't comment other then to say that University seems to be much cheaper in Australia (HECS system is very good) than over here.

Jobs - I moved from Sydney to Vancouver as an accounting professional and couldn't find any decent jobs until I moved to Calgary (more head offices, I'd assume I would have found a good job in Toronto easily enough too).

It is really pointless comparing Canada vs Australia overall on this front - you will be better off researching into the exact cities you are interested in moving to for a more relevant comparison as both countries are too diverse. Perth is of course Australia's rough equivalent to Alberta for oil work, Sydney/Melbourne versus Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver for IT??

Australian economy looks stronger than Canada give we've already started lifting interst rates.

I personally didn't find any of the 'canadian experience' issues often thrown about and have far more leave here than I did in Australia - but I think that is the exception of the rule.

Culture - not much cricket here in Canada! Australia is more 'commonwealth' oriented, Canada definately US dominated.

Weather - huge difference obviously but having survived my first Calgary winter last year, nothing you couldn't adapt to either way.

Cost of Living - overall Calgary for us blows away (in positive sense) any big Australian city in terms of wages versus basic living costs, but again it will depend on your own job and family situation.

In all honesty they are similar countries with good standards of living - I'd just go for whichever one catches your fancy more. Never underestimate the fun factor!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Budgie1
OK - I'm an Australian who moved to Canada as a PR two years ago so I can give you an Ozzie perspective.

Medical - Canada all public versus Aus 2 Tier - overall you will pay more for medical treatment in Australia but you also get better treatment. Not a make or break decision regardless IMHO.

Education - no kids so can't comment other then to say that University seems to be much cheaper in Australia (HECS system is very good) than over here.

Jobs - I moved from Sydney to Vancouver as an accounting professional and couldn't find any decent jobs until I moved to Calgary (more head offices, I'd assume I would have found a good job in Toronto easily enough too).

It is really pointless comparing Canada vs Australia overall on this front - you will be better off researching into the exact cities you are interested in moving to for a more relevant comparison as both countries are too diverse. Perth is of course Australia's rough equivalent to Alberta for oil work, Sydney/Melbourne versus Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver for IT??

Australian economy looks stronger than Canada give we've already started lifting interst rates.

I personally didn't find any of the 'canadian experience' issues often thrown about and have far more leave here than I did in Australia - but I think that is the exception of the rule.

Culture - not much cricket here in Canada! Australia is more 'commonwealth' oriented, Canada definately US dominated.

Weather - huge difference obviously but having survived my first Calgary winter last year, nothing you couldn't adapt to either way.

Cost of Living - overall Calgary for us blows away (in positive sense) any big Australian city in terms of wages versus basic living costs, but again it will depend on your own job and family situation.

In all honesty they are similar countries with good standards of living - I'd just go for whichever one catches your fancy more. Never underestimate the fun factor!
I think this is a very balanced post and people should pay particular attention to the very last sentence!!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:56 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dboy

See, I found the opposite. I could not hack the heat at all, or the sun which is very strong in Australia. I prefer the climate here (Vancouver).
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:09 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine being a Brit in Oz would be irritating, having that rubbed in your face on a daily basis - whereas here people couldn't give a flying f**k that you're British, Italian, Dutch or whatever....

I considered Oz as well as Canada - satisfied now that I made the right choice....
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G77
I can imagine being a Brit in Oz would be irritating, having that rubbed in your face on a daily basis - whereas here people couldn't give a flying f**k that you're British, Italian, Dutch or whatever....

I considered Oz as well as Canada - satisfied now that I made the right choice....
Just absolutely does not happen. Along with "there's lots of snakes and spiders" this ranks as one of the most "out of touch with reality" reasons not to go to Australia.

I'm sure it happens to some Brits, but then it happens in Canada as well - I can recall more than one thread that had stories of anti-British and anti-immigrant comments made by Canadians.

Last edited by hereandthere; Nov 19th 2009 at 2:15 am.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:18 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just absolutely does not happen. Along with "there's lots of snakes and spiders" this ranks as one of the most "out of touch with reality" reasons not to go to Australia.
So there's not lots of snakes and spiders then?

Playing devil's advocate here, since I've seen far more snakes in Canada than I ever saw in the UK - in fact, don't ever recall seeing a wild one in the UK, seen about a dozen wild ones here in a year....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.