Exchange rate

Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:15 am
Just Joined

J2FCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

I was expecting the rate to have improved this week. With all the poor news/indicators emanating from Europe, I was surprised the Euro didn't tank; Sterling usually benefiting, as the alternate (major) European currency.

I hope the rate improves toward 1.95 shortly, or our Canadian dream will remain exactly that!

J2FCM
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J2FCM
I was expecting the rate to have improved this week. With all the poor news/indicators emanating from Europe, I was surprised the Euro didn't tank; Sterling usually benefiting, as the alternate (major) European currency.

I hope the rate improves toward 1.95 shortly, or our Canadian dream will remain exactly that!

J2FCM
So, your first post.... welcome to the forum!

Even if the Euro tanked, I doubt it would affect the GBP / CAD rate, but I'm no dealer so am not sure.

The pound seems to keep starting to go back to average (about 2 ish) and then some knob head in No. 10 opens his gob and ruins everything!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

emmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to all

The pound seems to keep starting to go back to average (about 2 ish) and then some knob head in No. 10 opens his gob and ruins everything![/QUOTE]

... they are doing it on purpose now to keep the pound down.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

McDave is an unknown quantity at this point

The general trend for the pound is downward to the doller, don't see it bouncing back to 1=$2 anytime soon.

Don't know what other people use to track the exchange rate but I find google finance is the best place. Gives you a chart, related news on the timeline.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:10 am
Just Joined

muddypuddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree about Google Finance... a veritable 'one stop shop'!

Not sure that anyone can do much more than guess at the medium / longer term rates for Sterling / CAD, but my own gut feel is that a (gentle?) climb towards 1.85 is probable and even 1.90 is possible over the summer.

Obviously it's just another guess really, but I think the UK cycle is ahead of ours and Canada's economy will dip a bit more before flattening out.

Ahhh - who cares... the sun is shining, the mountains look stunning and I'm buying a BBQ this weekend!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hopefully a nice steady climb for the pound,
Todays canadian interest rate cut should help.
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

muddypuddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup - fingers crossed...
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Hopefully a nice steady climb for the pound,
Todays canadian interest rate cut should help.
cheers
Jerry
And then mr. comedy eyebrows delivered the UK budget.... we can't win.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Darling is irritating as hell
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:50 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

On the 3 months chart there seems to be a relatively strong resistance at about 1.82. If the price can break through there it may go a fair bit higher. Conversely, if drops below 1.77 I reckon it may dip further. Since Canada is a country that relies on it's exports then the Canadian government would not want to see the cad do too well over the next year. Weak cad may do a lot to keep Canada ticking over in the coming year.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
I think the blue guy in the picture has more idea about whats going on than Darling or Brown
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:17 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, I just took a look at my RRSP I transferred from a company scheme in the UK last year.

I'm going to have a lie down in a darkened room.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
I think the blue guy in the picture has more idea about whats going on than Darling or Brown
Hi
Probably knows more than most politicians...maybe Jim Henson created all of them.

But back to the thread..
at least the line has turned the right way again
(appx 1.795 and climbing )
cheers
Jerry
Old May 27th 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

montpro is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so if GBP is getting stronger against the EUR & USD why does it seem to be getting weaker against the CAD?

Or is it that the EUR & USD are getting weaker and the CAD is getting stronger in general and the GBP is just reacting accordingly?

Last edited by montpro; May 27th 2009 at 3:41 am.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:44 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montpro
OK so if GBP is getting stronger against the EUR & USD why does it seem to be getting weaker against the CAD?

Or is it that the EUR & USD are getting weaker and the CAD is getting stronger in general and the GBP is just reacting accordingly?
In theory - CAD is mainly driven by commodities. As the global economy shows signs of recovery, oil price increase and so does the CAD.

CAD is up against USD - which sucks cause I get paid in USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.