Exchange rate

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:01 am
Banned

tim01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

The moves today have been excessive, but as it is a bank holiday in Canada there will be more volatility in the market, i think we could easily see it back above 1.90 by the end of the week.... but i wouldnt put money in it
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Crowne Currency Exchange are the best I know of. Use them all the time. I'd never go to a high street place.

With regard to the GBP, my feeling is that it will go lower eventually. This house price dead cat bounce won't last beyond the summer, and then the realisation that our economy is saddled with debt for a generation will kill the pound off. We may even see a 1970s style run.
I mostly agree with your analysis - however there is a risk of major inflation in the US if the fed times the ending of ZIRP/QE badly (which is possible) - this will be good for the GBP/CAD exchange rate.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I mostly agree with your analysis - however there is a risk of major inflation in the US if the fed times the ending of ZIRP/QE badly (which is possible) - this will be good for the GBP/CAD exchange rate.
Interesting thought. Just curious as to why you think the CAD$ would go down to, are they as likely to see inflation? Also, I think we are just as likely to see inflation (in consumer goods anyway, not assets) over the next few years.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly agree with your analysis - however there is a risk of major inflation in the US if the fed times the ending of ZIRP/QE badly (which is possible)
Given the Fed's record, I would say 'almost 100% inevitable'.

They printed money for far too long before the crash, and they'll continue printing money for far too long after the recovery. The next decade could easily be the 70s all over again, except with lower wage inflation due to competition from China, India, etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

They printed money for far too long before the crash, and they'll continue printing money for far too long after the recovery. The next decade could easily be the 70s all over again, except with lower wage inflation due to competition from China, India, etc.
Which will translate to no inflation in assets. Disinflation is a term you will hear a lot in years to come. It will basically mean a devaluing of our economy (and the US). Our purchasing power and net worth will decrease, while costs will rise. Canada is a to an extent protected from this due to its Oil and other natural reserves.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thought. Just curious as to why you think the CAD$ would go down to, are they as likely to see inflation? Also, I think we are just as likely to see inflation (in consumer goods anyway, not assets) over the next few years.
No reason other than CAD *tends* to track the USD to a certain extent. My feeling is that sentiment would go against CAD in the eventuality of major US inflation or a currency collapse.

Oh, I completely agree, we are all going to be poorer - I was just toning down the bearishness a notch (didn't want to depress everyone)
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Which will translate to no inflation in assets.
Depends on which assets: inflation of the money supply will end up in the markets _somewhere_, and push up prices there as a result. Significant increases in money supply will eventually raise prices, even if the extra cash goes into bankers' bonuses and billionaires' stock portfolios rather than auto workers' wages.

Our purchasing power and net worth will decrease, while costs will rise.
But declining purchasing power requires either wage deflation or price inflation.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:44 am

But declining purchasing power requires either wage deflation or price inflation.
It's not one or the other though is it - we'll be getting both.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not one or the other though is it - we'll be getting both.
Quite possibly. In the long term, due to Peak Oil, I think we'll be protected from this in Canada.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:17 pm
Banned

tim01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its realy moved a hige amount over the past couple of days, its doesnt track the USD that closely, if you look at a graph compared to oil prices you wil see a closer fit!
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim01
Its realy moved a hige amount over the past couple of days, its doesnt track the USD that closely, if you look at a graph compared to oil prices you wil see a closer fit!
That's what I thought...CAD$ is a commodotiy currency.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

canada being rich in oil, metals and minerals will forever find strength in exportation..... but when its primary customers are the americans, if there are no USD with which to buy stuff, then there is little CAD to be made from selling.

hence the link between the two dollars, and to a lesser extent to the Euro / GBP.

lucky then that canada is looking to strenthen trade links with the russians. russia will be eager to buy oil, so it can export more of its gas reserves. frankly, this is preferrable to a russian reliance on their ancient nuke power plants, which remain as their sole alternative for their domestic energy needs.

and canada will be reassurred that russia would be less likely to venture too far in the frozen north and thus threaten any international borders....
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like its on the way down now.

not sure weather to buy now. or see weather it comes back up.

Ive got a month before I need my money. Should of got it when it was at 1.9
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

this recent down turn is primarily (from what i have seen) due to the UK releasing a bunch of info this week, which inspired absolutely zero confidence.

in contrast, economic data from canada has been next to nothing. the consequence is a net swing in favour of the CAD.

next week, what with UK entities being eager to make up for their myriad failings, plus canada being over their midweek celebrations.... hopefully the trend of last week can restart.....
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds logical. Ill be crossing my fingers as well.

Currecny direct wont offer a forward contract on just 2000 pounds so looks like I will be waiting Till I get to canada and open my account next month before I can transfer anything anyway.

unless anyone knows someone who usually has good rates and will do forward contracts on smaller amounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.