Exchange rate

Old May 27th 2009, 3:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by montpro

Or is it that the EUR & USD are getting weaker and the CAD is getting stronger in general and the GBP is just reacting accordingly?
USD is getting weaker for sure - those investors that saw it as a safe haven during the economic crisis are now starting to venture back into other currencies.... The Canadian dollar is giving the US Dollar a beating at the moment - with a bit of luck they could get back to parity again soon
Old May 27th 2009, 3:46 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
with a bit of luck they could get back to parity again soon
nooooooooo
Old May 27th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

The pound rally won't last as our economy is truly fecked, and when it starts going down again, I'd expect it to go down further against the CAD
Old May 27th 2009, 4:37 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
nooooooooo
Can't you just go to Seattle to spend your $'s?

If it goes back to parity I'll be spending most of my cash in Detroit
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

1.85! Will it keep going or would it be wise to change anything now?

Any ideas??
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
1.85! Will it keep going or would it be wise to change anything now?

Any ideas??
My advice would be to filter it through if you can afford to.

Do some now at this price, wait, if it goes up, do more, and so on.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

best rate for a long time I'd risk 50% now! Realistically how much higher can it go! there nothing has changed to strengthen the £.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:04 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
nothing has changed to strengthen the £.
It's something to do with the announcement last week that the recession is over in the UK. I have been trickling small amounts through since then so that I always get a better rate than the one before.

Of course the UK still has huge problems so the rate is not going to go on rising indefinitely - we may have to be happy with a top rate of 1.9.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

It hit $1.90 to the £ today, now back at $1.89 !!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:28 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Long term the pound will go higher, Canada needs a weaker dollar for exports and the UK pound is closely linked to house prices. Any signs that the housing market is bottoming out then it will show on all rates vs gbp.

In technical terms we may see a drop to a lower support for while and 1.90 may seems like a natural resistance level.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Long term the pound will go higher, Canada needs a weaker dollar for exports and the UK pound is closely linked to house prices. Any signs that the housing market is bottoming out then it will show on all rates vs gbp.

In technical terms we may see a drop to a lower support for while and 1.90 may seems like a natural resistance level.
I agree with you there about strong resistance at 1.90, i think anyone needing some in the next few weeks its worth taking somethign in the high 1.80's, i bought a bit with Cornhill FX this afternoon at 1.8855, its not a huge amount though.

The days of well above 2.00 are still a long way off, commoditiess wil stay strong for a while and the UK economy is still in a bit of a mess, saying that it is impossible to second guess the market, anything is possible!!!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by greghal
I agree with you there about strong resistance at 1.90, i think anyone needing some in the next few weeks its worth taking somethign in the high 1.80's, i bought a bit with Cornhill FX this afternoon at 1.8855, its not a huge amount though.

The days of well above 2.00 are still a long way off, commoditiess wil stay strong for a while and the UK economy is still in a bit of a mess, saying that it is impossible to second guess the market, anything is possible!!!
I'd keep checking. Lloyds were offering 2.01 at 8am this morning but have now dropped to 1.79. Could have been a clerical error I guess...

That is retail of course, I'm just looking for my recce in 2 weeks...

NJ
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:44 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NomadicJ
I'd keep checking. Lloyds were offering 2.01 at 8am this morning but have now dropped to 1.79. Could have been a clerical error I guess...

NJ
I would have thought that both those figures are wrong. This is usually more accurate to what I normally get http://www.forexdirectory.net/gbp.html

The rate nearly always drops towards evening (UK) time.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NomadicJ

NJ
I think you were looking at tourist rates both sides of the market, 2.01 would be the rate to sell Canadian, and 1.79 to but, just shows how much money banks make on exchange
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greghal
I think you were looking at tourist rates both sides of the market, 2.01 would be the rate to sell Canadian, and 1.79 to but, just shows how much money banks make on exchange
Tourist rates are expensive for three reasons:

1 - they can get away with it
2 - the volumes are low
3 - they have to deliver actual currency (notes and coins rather than numbers on a computer screen).

Banks actually don't make a lot of money out of tourists.

As for the exchange rate - who knows what's going on. Suspect that CAD is tracking USD weakness rather than GBP strength. The economic problems (including real-estate deflation) in Canada and the UK are nowhere near over despite some heavy wishful thinking in the media.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.