Exchange rate

Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Exchange rate

I suspect that there is a deliberate effort by the Bank of England to devalue the Sterling, so as to inspire foriegn trade and investment in the UK to sustain activity through current economic times.

Point is, the £ is now becoming under valued, even when compared to the currency of countries who have now exited recession, such as Canada.

As with most variable trends, peaks and troughs will settle down around a 'happy medium'.

I just hope that this happens sooner rather than later, because i still have no Canadian income and will be needing to move more £s over here before long.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

so I'm house hunting here in BC - but my deposit is still in £'s. At this rate we're going from an acreage to a trailer
With the housing market starting to pick up over here, I really don't know what to do for the best??????
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone say whats going on or has got a good idea if it will keep going down ?,or would anyone know this,i have noticed everytime the gas goes down here in canada that the pound drops against the dollar,i am interested in why its happening
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:18 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

1.68660 holy cow I guess I won't be moving any pension funds over for a while.

The reason it is falling and will probably continue for a while (especially if other governments start to raise interest rates) is the realisation that the UK is in such a bad way and the near zero interest rates mean there is no incentive for buying pounds or saving in UK banks. The sad thing is the UK isnt the manufacturing base it once had so there are not lots of goods to sell at a competitive price.

Gold is roaring ahead because of the rush to it's safety (apparently two oz of gold in Roman times would kit a gentleman out head to foot) at $1000 per oz I think a decent set of kit could be purchase for 2oz of gold today. Now after 2000 years that is what I call inflation protection!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:19 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig25
can anyone say whats going on or has got a good idea if it will keep going down ?,or would anyone know this,i have noticed everytime the gas goes down here in canada that the pound drops against the dollar,i am interested in why its happening
I wonder if the UK is seen as a Petrol based currency (I wouldnt have thought there was that much left in the North Sea). That might explain it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

one other (slightly conspiratorial) reason for why what is happening is happening.... is that the UK is being 'softened up' prior to joining the Euro currency.

afterall if it continues to decline in value, but as part of a unionising deal, the UK is offered a sale of the century rate for Euros.... there isn't likely to be much opposition, especially if people are allowed to feel better off in real terms.

if £1 = C$1.20 but €1 = C$1.80, would you shrug off an offer of €1 for £1?

i am convinced that such a scheme is underway in the USA to facilitate greater favour towards the Amero concept.... even if it means sacrificing the mighty green back.

America has done well to sustain the US dollar as the global currency, but certain nations are leading the call t suspend such a status quo, gold is regaining popularity and of course China is marching to the beat of its own drum.

basically, the step preceeding true one world authority, is the realisation of a tri-polar market.... there is strength in numbers and such strength will draw lines along Europe / North America / Asia territories.....

but sure..... its coz Gordon Brown is a buffoon
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the interest rates remain low and the Bank of England continues to print more money the £ will continue to devalue. Britain is not booming outside of the Eurozone anymore and all the "Hot Money (speculation) has long gone.

It will get worse possibly after the next election when if we do appear to have got out of recession- we fall back in because who ever wins has to start making all sorts of public spending cuts.

It is a kick in the nuts for anyone who has lived sensibly and saved or is looking to move their £'s.

Personally I am gutted as it means when I move back over over my money will be remaining in the UK for quite sometime.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
I can almost guarantee when we plan to go to the UK it will be up around 2.40!!!!!!
Please book soon - I still have money in Sterling !
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Here is one point of view:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/exchange-rates

However, as Paolosmyth says, they could be softening everyone up for entry into the Euro.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

$1.65 !!!!! The Canadian dollar is doing particularly well against the pound at the mo, and other currencies. I'm reckoning they're going to follow Oz and raise their rates as they have one of the strongest economies in the western world...get ready for $1.50 everyone! (almost parity with the US $ and loonie)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheBear
$1.65 !!!!! The Canadian dollar is doing particularly well against the pound at the mo, and other currencies. I'm reckoning they're going to follow Oz and raise their rates as they have one of the strongest economies in the western world...get ready for $1.50 everyone! (almost parity with the US $ and loonie)
Unemployment is still a major issue and, in Ontario, the unemployment rate is more than 9%. Raising interest rates will slow down the construction industry which seems to be one of the few areas that is active at the moment. Chances are, in this part of Canada at least, they will have to wait until the US economy recovers.

However, yes, the rising Canadian dollar (or falling pound) is not good news for those coming to Canada from the UK. But for those going the other way....
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:16 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
....Yes you do. You're an "Immigration Consultant" touting for business by cherry-picking tabloid headlines. Exchange rate can't be helping business at the moment eh?
bsmith - I'm not sure that I'm following you. I'm not touting for business if thats what you're suggesting. I was offering an opinion based on first-hand personal experience of having made the move. You may not be aware but there isn't actually a shortage of people who wish to leave the UK at the moment!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:59 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
bsmith - I'm not sure that I'm following you. I'm not touting for business if thats what you're suggesting. I was offering an opinion based on first-hand personal experience of having made the move. You may not be aware but there isn't actually a shortage of people who wish to leave the UK at the moment!
I would imagine there is a queue stretching for mile. I was amazed at how many people attened the emigrate shows in 2003/4 and 5 (we left Nov 05). It seemed whatever day we chose the show was always busy.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
A few posters have joked in this thread about heading back to the UK if the exchange rate hits 1.50. I am curious if anyone would seriously consider this.
For those of us that waiver occasionally - the exchange rate should definitely be taken into consideration.

The difference in what we brought in May 07 to if we were to exchange this week is $155k

On the other hand, if I were to return next week, I'd only be about $20k down - even after living here and spending loads

It might be considered a jammy relief if the exchange rate went in one's favour (for once).
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

1.63 today. Though that will be on low volumes as today isn't a trading day for CAD. Still 1.50 doesn't look as far away as it once did...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.