Exchange rate

Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Well the mid-point this morning is showing $1.81CAD to £1

Hopefully the huge profits of Barclays bank will have a little helping hand with confidence.

I'll be waiting for 1.95 if i'm lucky and will probably start dripping my money over into CAD.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

yellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant future

Don't know which money site your using but HIFx it's been 1.8379 since Friday!! We've got a market order in for when it gets to 2.00 (Hopefully)

When we first applied in 2005 the rate was 2.45!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The 1.81 was from XE but looking at Bloomberg and FOREX your 1.83 looks more accurate.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:10 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Better but still sh*t for those waiting to exchange.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:25 am
getting ready to apply!

snowdemon is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it me ?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yellowbelly
When we first applied in 2005 the rate was 2.45!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is what floats thru my mind and produces cold sweats!

epic timing.

the exchange rate 'crashed' about a month before we received out passport requests.

cause and effect? effect and cause....?:curse:
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:24 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Taking a bit of a beating today.....
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

yup its a roller coaster....

from checking the long term graphs of 1, 2 and 5 years.... aside from the inevitable peaks and troughs, the long term trend is clear.

i fear hindsight will rear up in time to come, with the conclusion that i should have cashed in my sterling during the 'heady days' of $1.80!!!!!

i saw 1.79 today.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
cause and effect? effect and cause....?:curse:
Sod's law, I think
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:33 pm
mclauchlan35

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
yup its a roller coaster....

from checking the long term graphs of 1, 2 and 5 years.... aside from the inevitable peaks and troughs, the long term trend is clear.

i fear hindsight will rear up in time to come, with the conclusion that i should have cashed in my sterling during the 'heady days' of $1.80!!!!!

i saw 1.79 today.
It was 1.77 at custom house
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:08 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

It seems there's a bit of a rally today, HSBC are offering 1.801
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

The more I read, the more I think it's unlikely we will ever see 2.00 or maybe even 1.90 again. Canada is not even on a list of 40 countries most exposed to the financial crisis (UK is 10th). Europe is about to go very horribly wrong and we could see the Euro start to really slide over the next few months...whether this causes a sterling rally or drags the pound down with it by association is hard to tell. But in my view, Canada is one of the best placed countries to weather the deepening storm and come out of it in reasonable shape to take advantage of the global revival...that won't be for a few years though. If a growing number of investors start to think like that too, then the dollar will just keep going up. They may have started from a higher debt to GDP ratio than the UK, but that situation has reversed and will become much greater...this means that long term productivity will be better in canada as there will be less tax paid in debt repayments.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:48 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

" So it was worrying to hear Jim Flaherty, the Canadian Finance Minister, say at the G7 summit in Rome at the weekend that he expects to see more bad economic data in months to come. Canada is due to publish manufacturing sales data for December today – with analysts forecasting a 5.3 per cent decline year on year – and Mr Flaherty said: “I expect the numbers of all kinds to continue getting worse month after month this year.” "

A short Times story on Canada's impending recession ? - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5741490.ece

I agree with 'TheBear' that the Euro is going to be hit, how this effects Sterling is any ones guess, but I imagine Sterling will rise against the Euro, and this may have a positive effect on it's world value.

There is even talk that some Euro countries may leave the Euro and revert to using there own currencies again - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...fset=24&page=3

M.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:18 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

We changed most of our savings at $1.748. Not a great rate even now, but we had a small window between funds becoming available and buying a house.

The pain soon passes, and since we had planned our initial getting-established finances at $1.50, we even felt a bit flush. Now we're earning dollars and life is good.

Had we moved back in the heady days of $2.00+, our house would have cost a great deal more and we would now have less equity in it. Swings and roundabouts! Plan pessimistically and get on with life.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Swings and roundabouts! Plan pessimistically and get on with life.
It is swings and roundabouts. We sold our UK home at the height of the market, got a good price - exchanged at 2.19 - but then bought at the height of the market here and paid a lot for our home (compared to prices now). It seems all relative. (And I was cross that it had come down from 2.35!).

Hang on in there people. However, there must be a tipping point for some where things are not worthwhile ? I wouldn't move here, to be knowingly skint! So ruthlessly work out where your tipping point would be. Security in jobs is waaay more important that 5c on the exchange rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.