Are you a snob??

Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:22 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a snob??

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Well are you?? Do you consider yourself a snob, would you look down on someone who lived in state housing or who drove an old banger?? The reason Im asking is that I think there is a lot of snobbery especially amongst some POMs if you live in the "wrong" suburb or your kid doesn`t go to the right school or even if (like me) you don`t drive a car. Some seem to forget what they came from in the UK - don`t get me wrong , I have nothing against people wanting to move forwards in life, or who are trying to do the best for their kids. It`s the one`s who give pitying looks and the bitchy little comments such as "Oh well never mind - Im sure it`ll be ok there" or "That`s terribly brave of you" No it`s freaking not!!! It`s where I like living and where my daughter goes to school end of discussion...... so why do I find myself making excuses and explaining my decisions???
I come from a council house background, my parents worked bloody hard (my dad was a fireman) to bring me up properly and we have done the same for our own kid. When me & hubby bought our first house we had a family who lived over the road - the house was minging, the mother used to wipe the youngests snotty nose on her own Tshirt but they were the nicest people I`ve ever met - nothing was too much trouble and they`d go out of their way to help. I refuse to get into a keeping up with the Jones`s scenario, has anyone else come across this or is it just me - maybe the problem is me and I have a chip on my shoulder, oh well rant over, as you were......

I think i told you that i experienced this when we got here and from the POMS too!!!!

Personally i don't give a shit what you've got or not got, i like a person because of who they are

BUt i have had the POMS who have turned up at my house, took themselves off for a look around (without invite) and compared it with what they have and turned their nose up at mine!

Have to say.....they are not on my invite list now!

but on the other hand

I have also met some that are like me and dont give a toss what you've got, we get together because we enjoy the company and have a laugh
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by justsarah

Personally I take people as they come but I hate braggers too!! Ive got this, Ive bought this, I only wear these clothes, state school... oh and I paid this for my pool & its THIS BIG!!! Yawn Yawn Yawn!!! I tend to switch off and try to keep my distance!!

However this is quite the culture in the UK so maybe a few of the brits just havent got into the aussie way yet and some will take longer than others!!

I havent met many aussies but they dont seem quite as materialistic as some brits can be ( and I mean the ones I know who arent here too! my expat mates are sound!!)
I hate braggers My BIL is the biggest gobshite i have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He has to have the biggest and best of everything. We went to visit Brisbane for 8 days, he has just booked to go for 2 weeks, we bought 2 cats here, he went out and bought 2 exactly the same. We bought a new car, he went and bought a sports car.
Why!!!
The nail on the head was when he said "i'm not being funny, but i earn 5 grand a week"
Needless to say i avoid him like the plague.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:47 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I take people as they come but I hate braggers too!! Ive got this, Ive bought this, I only wear these clothes, state school... oh and I paid this for my pool & its THIS BIG!!! Yawn Yawn Yawn!!! I tend to switch off and try to keep my distance!!

However this is quite the culture in the UK so maybe a few of the brits just havent got into the aussie way yet and some will take longer than others!!

I havent met many aussies but they dont seem quite as materialistic as some brits can be ( and I mean the ones I know who arent here too! my expat mates are sound!!)

You are in for a shock

When you get here go to the mall on a Saturday, look at how aussie women get dressed up to go shopping.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You are in for a shock

When you get here go to the mall on a Saturday, look at how aussie women get dressed up to go shopping.
Trakkie pants and skivvies just shouts out Keeping up with the Joneses
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You are in for a shock

I live in Bundall!!!! Have been here almost 3 months!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I dont get it?

There are some very smartly dressed ladies, which I think is lovely to see people making an effort and some in barely a pair of shorts and

NO SHOES!!.... That really annoys the hell out of me!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
When me & hubby bought our first house we had a family who lived over the road - the house was minging, the mother used to wipe the youngests snotty nose on her own Tshirt but they were the nicest people I`ve ever met - nothing was too much trouble and they`d go out of their way to help. I refuse to get into a keeping up with the Jones`s scenario, has anyone else come across this or is it just me - maybe the problem is me and I have a chip on my shoulder, oh well rant over, as you were......
well, I reckon that people who live in pig-stys and wipe their kid's snot on their t-shirts are disgusting....it doesn't matter whether they are the nicest people on earth, or not!!!

But does that make me a snob? of course it doesn't. This is nothing to do with keeping up with the jones's....this is just basic hygiene !
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunbather
Western and Eastern suburbs of where?
Sydney - sorry, arrogant, not to say snobbish, of me to assume that everybody would know where it is.

I was thinking about the 'society' pages in the Sunday papers - 'Lady Mcmahon' (a former secretary?) and 'Lady Renouf' (trophy wife - Peacock, Sangster, Renouf, et al, ad nauseam)

Aussies like to think of themselves as 'Jack's as good as his master' but really, they're just the same as 'us'.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa

According to the definition of the word I am not a snob. I was brought up in a council house, children's home and foster care.

I do believe you Vanessa, that you are not a snob...

However - snobs can come from council houses or mansions alike, as per that wikipedia definition !!

I think it is human nature to be snobbish, as Centurion mentioned already. Most of us would admit to being a little snobbish from time to time, often about very silly things. The minority of idiots seem to enjoy being snobbish 24x7, almost as if they need to behave in this manner in order to enjoy life!

The rest of us though, I reckon we all try our hardest to treat people as they come, for who they are....pushing away those feelings of snobbery when they pop up every now and then.

I reckon that this "reverse snobbery" is the real problem. Rich people, as a rule, don't feel "superior" to poor people. Its the poor people that, all too often, jump to silly conclusions.

just my opinion !
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

There are some very smartly dressed ladies.....some in barely a pair of shorts and
NO SHOES!!....
Yes I prefer the no top to the no shoes myself

shorts optional
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Fair point but I didnt mean it like that,
I know, sorry if it appeared snarky towards you - it was more intended a general point.

Its funny but at our daughters school there is more snobbery from newly arrived parents from other private schools. They soon learn and start turning up in trackie pants and in a way they look relieved in not having to keep up appearances.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I know, sorry if it appeared snarky towards you - it was more intended a general point.

Its funny but at our daughters school there is more snobbery from newly arrived parents from other private schools. They soon learn and start turning up in trackie pants and in a way they look relieved in not having to keep up appearances.

god you've not started to wear trackie pants,

thats it! am afraid i will have to disasociate myself from you
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ransi
No, Im not a snob...

I drive a 15yr old car and have been known to go to the shops barefooted........

you forgot to mention the dog turd on your feet
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, to be honest, I can be a bit of a snob. I'm not super keen on bogans or chavs (and before I get a pasting I spent part of my childhood in a council flat which has probably flavoured my attitude seeing the things I saw there).
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:16 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it`s about being comfortable in your own skin?? Or YSL y fronts
Maybe it`s what I perceive as snobbery but in actual fact may just be a case of people not thinking before opening their gobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.