Are you a snob??

Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a snob??

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Special or Special ! PLEASE DEFINE

Both.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:05 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
In moderation

Hey, my 'special' friend hows you?
We are well and enjoying carefree existence. How are you guys after such a long hot spell? Bet you made full use of the pool
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:07 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say I was a snob in some regards, but not in others. We've distanced ourselves from a certain clique at my son's schools because they're a load of stuck-up Sydney seachangers who look down their noses at the locals. I like to think I give everyone equal footing, no matter what their background or circumstances.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Yep fair point - I guess we do all judge to some extent and really the ones who make rude comments aren`t worth knowing anyway, actually thinking about it- it doesn`t matter because they probably wouldn`t want anything to do with me any way because Im from a lower socio economic class!!.
I still cant believe that he said that.

Sometimes I believe that people emigrate with their wads of cash in the hope of a much better life and when they realise that money cannot get exactly the standards that they seek in Australia they throw their toys out of the cot.

In the short time that I have been here you and I both know that I have had the comments about 'poor you, you dont have a car'

Well I would like to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, we came with less cash than we originally planned - we cant afford a car yet and have hit the ground running.

As for buying into 'the dream', well a swimming pool and 4wd is not my dream, neither is a BBQ and living in the perfect area.

My dream was to live in Australia, have somewhere to live and appreciate my surroundings and feel happy with my decision.

And so far so good, my boxes are ticked.

But although I am not a parent, anyone but anyone that judges a parent because of their choice of school or 'socio economic class', is a complete tool and a snob to boot.

Gobbyjock, you should never defend where you live, your home, your daughters school - because there is nothing wrong with it and really when it comes to having everything, I reckon you have it all.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:08 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Special or Special ! PLEASE DEFINE
Very special thanks mate

Actually my doctor has suggested I undergo autistic testing for adults. But I refused have no such time for painting
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
We are well and enjoying carefree existence. How are you guys after such a long hot spell? Bet you made full use of the pool
I'm freezing

My pool was great, until the solar heating got a leak which meant I couldn't have it on. Didn't get in it much after that because it was 38 degrees outside and 28 in the pool - rather cold it felt too Not going to fix the solar heating now until after winter, will need to save up a little first.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:13 am
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
But although I am not a parent, anyone but anyone that judges a parent because of their choice of school or 'socio economic class', is a complete tool and a snob to boot.
By the same token, please don't snob at parents that choose a particular school because they see value in it for their children.

Snobbery is the byproduct, the school choice in the first place should be completely independent.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
By the same token, please don't snob at parents that choose a particular school because they see value in it for their children.

Snobbery is the byproduct, the school choice in the first place should be completely independent.
Fair point but I didnt mean it like that, Gobbyjock has had comments about the school she has chosen to send her daughter. As you say, parents need to choose the right thing for their kids but I dont think they should look down on other parents for their choice and consider them 'lower class' for their choice.

We both read a comment on another site referring to 'lower socio economic class' and the whole post was so offensive - shocked the pants off me.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving my 1982 toyota corrolla (all i can afford) and the kids in the local school not at the very 'nice' private on (not even in the local church school as we pray the wrong way so they wont have us even though they have space) I am a terrible snob.....

can't help it... but because of my 'breeding" I would NEVER mention any of my snobbery to ANYONE... though I once made a rude comment about a vocally snobby visitor having so much class she brought her own stubby holder to our barbeque... I don't look 'down' on people, I just cringe a little inside... especially when a Chief Exceutive of an international organisation cannot hold a knife and fork properly at a formal dinner... my husband doesn't hold his knife and fork properly when we are at home either... and I cringe, but I would never say anything to him, becasue he performs most of the time when we are out..

Its nothing to do with what people have is about what they tell you they have... worship of the almighty dollar... its how people behave, treat each other, its manners, its about politeness... Bragging about what one has is SO Neuveau Riche (Sorry can't spell)...

My son's friend and his family really are disadvantaged in the biggest ways, (Aussie Battlers?)some of our 'friends' look down on this family as they have few material possesions, they are a 'lower socio economic class'.. ... but the Dad is an absolute gem, and his son is a true friend to my lad, not a jealous, spiteful nasty bone in his body...

They love and value their children, they are careful of the (few) things they have, they respect other people and other peoples property and they are mindful of others needs, they are polite and responsible and I know that they go without extras to pay their bills on time... They are obviously not upper or middle class but they are the people we feel most happy and comfortable with... perhaps I am not a snob after all?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I'm not a snob. When someone says that they've got a Prada my mind conjures up an image of them in a small East European car.

I like nice people not nasty ones. Doesn't matter what their social status is.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

we have found since coming to Oz that people don't want anything to do with us or make lots of continual comments because we rarely drink. This is always Poms who look at us like we have two heads or something. FFS get over it, so what ?!! We don't judge people for drinking so why judge for not ???

Ok - am off soapbox now
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I love people who don't drink.... they are so MUCH cheaper to entertain than those that do...
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:32 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

No, Im not a snob...

I drive a 15yr old car and have been known to go to the shops barefooted........
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:07 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I like nice people not nasty ones. Doesn't matter what their social status is.
Hear hear.

I'm glad you've mentioned inverse snobbery too, gobbyjock. I read the start of this thread earlier and planned to mention it myself after I went off to do something. It's pretty evident in a few members of this site and it has on occasion stopped me being open and asking advice. Mention a half-decent salary and it brings out the hole in the road brigade:

http://www.phespirit.info/montypytho...rkshiremen.htm

I'm a joiner's daughter and we had some damn hard times (well-hidden from us by our Mum, but looking back I can see them), but I was brought up with manners, morals and respect for other people.

I'm still far from rich but worked bloody hard to have a more comfortable life. I still class myself as working-class but am often told I am not. (Does it really matter?) I don't brag but equally I don't know why I feel the need to keep quiet about how lucky I am - lucky is how I feel. I don't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses; I have my own values and priorities in life.

Just remembered a birthday lunch I had when I'd been in Singapore just a year or so. Two women I'd invited spent the whole time doing one-upmanship.

X: Oh yes, I love fois gras.
Y: Oh me too, but I prefer to cook it myself.
X: Oh yes, I find it's best done on the barbeque.
Y: Oh me too, I always do it that way at our house in France.

FFS. Never invited them again.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:14 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

A snob, guilty of snobbery, is a person that adopts the world-view that other people are inherently inferior for any one of a variety of reasons including supposed intellect, wealth, education, *ancestry, etc. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob

According to the definition of the word I am not a snob. I was brought up in a council house, children's home and foster care. I would never deny where I came from or disassociate myself from my family, nearly all of whom live on or below the poverty line. I do tend to take people for what they are. However, I have been called a snob on quite a few occasions by people who knew me years ago but I think that this is just jealously which is another ugly trait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.