Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Quite possibly. I think rush hour brings out the worst in most people. Everyone is on a mission to get from A to B and courtesy and safety go out the window. Every morning the kids and I morph into the Ant Hill Mob and join Dick and Mutley to 'catch the pigeon'.
It might be easier for you to be less judgemental of the driving in Aus as your experience is gained here. Possibly a better situation to be in as old practices and expectations won't confuse the issue.
Just be sure not to turn into one of those zigzagging arses who weave, inside, middle, outside, middle, inside lane along Anzac Highway....unless of course you're aiming for 100% aussie integration.
Haven't done Anzac Highway yet Main North Road is bad enough

I did have some lessons in the UK, but I used to get really stressed and scared with people as they all seemed to tailgate. I don't get that as much now, although it does happen now and then. Plus I find it a lot easier because I am learning in an automatic - so that's probably affecting my perceptions as well (I hate gears )
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybee
I find it really strange that people give "too many immigrants" as a reason to leave the UK. What do you think you will be when you arrive here?

Cor blimey! In 10 years time the Australians will be headed elsewhere!

Yehp, my Daughter took of to England to mix with some nice Polish people, because of all the riff raff poms that came here.

Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp, my Daughter took of to England to mix with some nice Polish people,

Clever girl.

Last edited by manc1; Nov 28th 2007 at 6:08 am.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by NedKelly
This is the typical response that fwits give to people that give "too many immigrants" as a reason to leave the UK. When Brits move to Oz it is very difficult to tell them apart from the locals, unless they are real dim and still wear a Manchester United football shirt or have a St.George Cross bumper sticker on their car.

You can tell the immigrants to the UK as they tend not to speak the language (apart from uttering the word A S Y L U M ), the men wear dresses during the day and they often hang around benefit offices.
Well said, says it all really.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

This is the typical response that fwits give to people that give "too many immigrants" as a reason to leave the UK. When Brits move to Oz it is very difficult to tell them apart from the locals, unless they are real dim and still wear a Manchester United football shirt or have a St.George Cross bumper sticker on their car.

You can tell the immigrants to the UK as they tend not to speak the language (apart from uttering the word A S Y L U M ), the men wear dresses during the day and they often hang around benefit offices.
Thére's a degree of truth in that.....(!)

The real issue is that you get poor immigrants and rich immigrants.

British migrants tend to be rich ones, Eastern European/African ones, or, asylum seekers aren't.

Creates a dual standard.

There are loads of areas in Melbourne's SE touted as bad and key areas where these relatively poor migrants live. Tis the way of the world.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:11 am
Just Joined

finona is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=themerlin;5608657]I think it's a female mating symbol, anyone with a frangipani in the window is gagging for it

I hope it's not some aussie kind of rhyming slang
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:44 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Haven't done Anzac Highway yet Main North Road is bad enough

I did have some lessons in the UK, but I used to get really stressed and scared with people as they all seemed to tailgate. I don't get that as much now, although it does happen now and then. Plus I find it a lot easier because I am learning in an automatic - so that's probably affecting my perceptions as well (I hate gears )
good luck with your test and remember to spread the love and let people in, when they're trying to merge or join the traffic. Together we can make Adelaide an even nicer place to live!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
good luck with your test and remember to spread the love and let people in, when they're trying to merge or join the traffic. Together we can make Adelaide an even nicer place to live!

Test?? There's no test

It's an assessment after 10 lessons (now you know why they are all mental drivers ) I have to clock up 50 hours as well though
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:55 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Test?? There's no test

It's an assessment after 10 lessons (now you know why they are all mental drivers ) I have to clock up 50 hours as well though
all is now frighteningly clear.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:57 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
In my experience those that come here because of the negatives in the UK are far less likely to settle than those that come because of the positives of Australia
Exactly. In a nutshell.

We didn't 'leave' the UK per se, we decided Oz was more suited to us.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:27 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alipally
We want an adventure.... We are going with the attitude that if it's terrible we can come home, but at least we can say... wow! what a ride!... If we love it we can stay. Whatever, we will make the most of our experiences and we'll learn from them!
I'm looking forward to doing business 'Oz Style'! and I know that OH is too!
How exciting is it to move to the other side of the world!!!
WooHooo!!!
Exactly the same here. We're not leaving the UK because we don't like it. If we decide to move back, I'll be happy to, no probs, no regrets. This country is great and I think too many others think the grass is greener elsewhere and sadly find out it isn't.

Instead, we are leaving for the adventure. To experience another country fully, instead of just as a holiday destination.

We chose Oz because of the decent weather and the language. Non-English speaking countries were the first choice but I insisted on France (I'm pretty fluent), and the missus insisted on Italy. So we moved on to English speaking and the US was our first choice, but we couldn't get PR type visas. So our adventure will be in Perth and I have never even been to Australaia before! We wanted PR visas so that if we indeed do truly love it and decide it's the place for us, we can stay as long as we like.

I hope all of you who are moving away from the UK because you don't like it, find what you are looking for and don't have to move back to this country that you dislike so much.

Maybe we are just lucky in that we would be happy anywhere. Our lives are what we've made of them and we'd be content sat in a bedsit eating tesco value beans. But we have the chance at an adventure, so we're going for it.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozoz
aussies work some of the longest hours in western society
Yea? When? All the ones I've met piss off home at 5 on the dot, irrelevant of what they're in the middle of.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

"hubby" got home today at 2pm having done a full days work. Jeez it's crap here
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to name one thing that was so noticeable about Australia it is the lack of dog shit. It is so pleasant to be able to walk down the street without treading in a big dog turd in the middle of the pavement that some filthy dog owner has watched their dog expunge.

mers, you are going to love it here!

What he said
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

dj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the rough

can someone tell me what a frangipani is? Never heard of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.