Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Wikiposts

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

There is another driving rule which not everyone is aware of...you cannot have any part of your body outside of the car. For example, if you wind your window down you cannot rest your arm/elbow on the door, thereby having your elbow on the outside
I was born in the UK, I went to school there, I worked there, I paid taxes there...but what if I wanted t go back and live there (I don't)...well if I did I would have to 'get to the back of the queue' and apply. And no claiming benefits off the British Government.
I only know this because some friends of mine who have lived in Australia for the same length of time as me, recently decided to look into it...and they were told they hadn't kept their British Residency up
I found this difficult to believe as they were nearly 30 when they came here...so I decided to check for myself and sure enough it was true
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont know if anyone else was on the Nicklin Way, Kawana going northbound, around 9.30 this morning, amulance with flashing lights, sirens, even went through red light, obvious life and death emergency, Dickhead in a white station wagon refused to move out of its way:curse: 3 times the ambo tried to get past it, just plain refused to move. Pig ignorant or what.
The drivers here are mostly pig ignorant, what a rude lot of dickheads they are. They wouldn't let you in to save their lives. I have no idea why Aussies are generally very nice and polite people but put them behind the wheel of a car and they totally change.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj nee
can someone tell me what a frangipani is? Never heard of it!
Its a flower

Originally Posted by moneypen20
"hubby" got home today at 2pm having done a full days work. Jeez it's crap here
He can't have eggs or milk at lunchtime though - doesn't he works in the strange land which has Daylight Saving?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:26 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most of these problems (maybe not the dog poo!) occur here - some better, some worse.
Come for the pull of Australia, not the push of the UK.
Agreed.

You can find all of the same problems in Australia if you are looking for them, apart from the dog mess. The driving is worse here though, as Fuego said.

You could move to a small, rural village in the UK if you want to escape all of the reasons mentioned for leaving.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
The drivers here are mostly pig ignorant, what a rude lot of dickheads they are. They wouldn't let you in to save their lives. I have no idea why Aussies are generally very nice and polite people but put them behind the wheel of a car and they totally change.
I agree, the driving and manners in OZ is terrible on the roads. When i first got here i used to flash my lights to let others out, or give way..but they don't like it at all. So now i go with the flow and ignore them too.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by alipally
I don't hate my life in the UK. We have a nice house... Up until June this year, I had a really good job, that I liked and was good at and I'm sure that I'll have another equally well paid job very soon. OH has a good, well paid job, we can go abroad 2 or 3 times a year on holiday, we have 2 cars, a few good friends, 2 teenage boys (yeah, not everything is perfect, but then they'll have to come too!) We don't struggle financially and we don't owe anyone other than the mortgage.

Our reasoning is that life is for living and for taking risks, we had our children young and gained our qualifications whilst they were small... struggled, but made it through.... Now our children are all but grown 15 and 19 yrs.... We want an adventure.... We are going with the attitude that if it's terrible we can come home, but at least we can say... wow! what a ride!... If we love it we can stay. Whatever, we will make the most of our experiences and we'll learn from them!
I'm looking forward to doing business 'Oz Style'! and I know that OH is too!
How exciting is it to move to the other side of the world!!!

WooHooo!!!

Count have said it better myself. i dont imagine oz is going to be perfect and I dont hate the UK. We just feel like a change and if when I'm in my 60's I'm back in the UK atleast I can say I lived in another part of the world and share my experiences. We only get 1 chance and we should make the most of it
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a flower

He can't have eggs or milk at lunchtime though - doesn't he works in the strange land which has Daylight Saving?
I'm a crap wife. I have no idea if he was here or there today. He won't have eggs or milk tomorrow either. I'm such a crap wife, I did no shopping today. He wanted beetroot and spam sarnies (I can't believe I married him) I forgot to get that as well. Beetroot and spam for christsake - it's not natural
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:49 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm a crap wife. I have no idea if he was here or there today. He won't have eggs or milk tomorrow either. I'm such a crap wife, I did no shopping today. He wanted beetroot and spam sarnies (I can't believe I married him) I forgot to get that as well. Beetroot and spam for christsake - it's not natural
Beetroot and spam sandwiches Are you sure he's your hubby and not some random alien?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Beetroot and spam sandwiches Are you sure he's your hubby and not some random alien?
Beetroot and spam are the devil's food..urghhh!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:56 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Beetroot and spam are the devil's food..urghhh!
Bad enough on their own, but together I wouldn't even feed that to a cockroach...well, maybe...perhaps.....
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
This is the typical response that fwits give to people that give "too many immigrants" as a reason to leave the UK. When Brits move to Oz it is very difficult to tell them apart from the locals, unless they are real dim and still wear a Manchester United football shirt or have a St.George Cross bumper sticker on their car.

You can tell the immigrants to the UK as they tend not to speak the language (apart from uttering the word A S Y L U M ), the men wear dresses during the day and they often hang around benefit offices.
Seems you hold a very racist point of view! As an Irish immigrant into the England I must disagree with you post entirely. I suppose you'll fit in well, with a section of the elder population of Australia, who slate the indigenous population in Aus at every given opportunity and go on about the increasing amount of Asian entering Australia
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:35 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

on the driving front, in Oz we have a lot fo this,

They was driving like this for over a mile, long enough for me to get phone out, switch on, and take pic, which is bloody ages!

but in the UK a lot of this,

(EVERYWHERE! ... well, apart from about 4am)

I prefer Oz cos it also has lots of these!

Oh and NOT just the beaches, the BLUE SKIES!!! ...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nick72
Depends where you move to as to whether the rest is applicable.

Nick
You can say the same about the UK- plenty of great areas
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Agreed.

You could move to a small, rural village in the UK if you want to escape all of the reasons mentioned for leaving.

Exactly!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:42 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
They was driving like this for over a mile, long enough for me to get phone out, switch on, and take pic, which is bloody ages!
Hey, way to show 'em how to drive safely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.