Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Wikiposts

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:23 am
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice
Default WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

JUST FANCIED A RANT AND A RAVE
We are just waiting for our visas to turn up done the medicals/ police checks etc and we often wonder why everyone else is departing the U.k
our personal reason is I have a full time job, not too badly paid, reasonable mortgage not excessive, wife not in paid work, home looking after the kids( which I know is harder!) not entitled to bugger all even though she's worked full time till having the kids and every month struggling to make ends meet forcing me to work as much as possible
Its not just a money thing I feel the UK is hard work, immigrants come here and get treated better than UK citizens doing our skilled jobs for next to nothing, but its not just that, last week I took my kids to the local park but some dirty ba@@@rd had shei'ite all down the slide..... WHY?
traffic is a nightmare, we get taxed to the hilt, council tax is horrendous, police are being replaced with worthless community support officers,road charging will be here soon, public transport is non existent for most, especially shift workers, beaches are covered in dog shit, paths are covered in dog shit, parks are covered in dog shit.
well if anyone else fancies a rant after a bad day like me please feel free i'm off for a glass of wine
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

dj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

I think you covered most of it there!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

And you think that Australia does not share most of these problems?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:42 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dshole
And you think that Australia does not share most of these problems?
Yes it does, but at least the sun is shining most of the time !

Depends where you move to as to whether the rest is applicable.

Nick
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to name one thing that was so noticeable about Australia it is the lack of dog shit. It is so pleasant to be able to walk down the street without treading in a big dog turd in the middle of the pavement that some filthy dog owner has watched their dog expunge.

mers, you are going to love it here!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is everyone so angry. In wrong lane today off junction 21 today at leicester and it was a genuine mistake. Didn't cause a near miss or anything and was not trying to queue jump. Absolute lovely guy in a builders van asked me if I fancied a coffee using a nice hand gesture, O.K this happens all over the world but everyone seems so aggresive and angry here.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

southern-stars will become famous soon enough

and i thought it was just me that has a thing about the uk being covered in shit, not to mention the millions of people crowding into such a small place, traffic everywhere, miserable unfriendly faces all over the place. blah blah blah could go on and on
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I find it really strange that people give "too many immigrants" as a reason to leave the UK. What do you think you will be when you arrive here?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Dont you get child endowment over there, no matter what you earn ?

We dont get anything for our 2, as the government has a cut off point, which our 2 fulltime "slightly less than average wages" Exceeds, oh but they do tax us 41pct on any overtime or extra work that we do.

You may be in for a bit of a surprise, especially when it comes to Schools and Healthcare, from the point of view of cost.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I left the UK because I had developed a complete hatred for the place and the people, mind you thats having lived in London for 6 years. I have no intention of going back except for the occasional visit to family although they have been told that if they want to see me they can come out and visit because going to the UK is not my idea of a holiday.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:26 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hate my life in the UK. We have a nice house... Up until June this year, I had a really good job, that I liked and was good at and I'm sure that I'll have another equally well paid job very soon. OH has a good, well paid job, we can go abroad 2 or 3 times a year on holiday, we have 2 cars, a few good friends, 2 teenage boys (yeah, not everything is perfect, but then they'll have to come too!) We don't struggle financially and we don't owe anyone other than the mortgage.

Our reasoning is that life is for living and for taking risks, we had our children young and gained our qualifications whilst they were small... struggled, but made it through.... Now our children are all but grown 15 and 19 yrs.... We want an adventure.... We are going with the attitude that if it's terrible we can come home, but at least we can say... wow! what a ride!... If we love it we can stay. Whatever, we will make the most of our experiences and we'll learn from them!
I'm looking forward to doing business 'Oz Style'! and I know that OH is too!
How exciting is it to move to the other side of the world!!!

WooHooo!!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by isgraham
I left the UK because I had developed a complete hatred for the place and the people, mind you thats having lived in London for 6 years. I have no intention of going back except for the occasional visit to family although they have been told that if they want to see me they can come out and visit because going to the UK is not my idea of a holiday.
Thank all those wealthy politicians
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience those that come here because of the negatives in the UK are far less likely to settle than those that come because of the positives of Australia
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:42 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Why is everyone so angry. In wrong lane today off junction 21 today at leicester and it was a genuine mistake. Didn't cause a near miss or anything and was not trying to queue jump. Absolute lovely guy in a builders van asked me if I fancied a coffee using a nice hand gesture, O.K this happens all over the world but everyone seems so aggresive and angry here.
I have seen some of the most aggressive anywhere driving in and around Brisbane. It's human nature and you can't escape it.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mers
JUST FANCIED A RANT AND A RAVE
We are just waiting for our visas to turn up done the medicals/ police checks etc and we often wonder why everyone else is departing the U.k
our personal reason is I have a full time job, not too badly paid, reasonable mortgage not excessive, wife not in paid work, home looking after the kids( which I know is harder!) not entitled to bugger all even though she's worked full time till having the kids and every month struggling to make ends meet forcing me to work as much as possible
Its not just a money thing I feel the UK is hard work, immigrants come here and get treated better than UK citizens doing our skilled jobs for next to nothing, but its not just that, last week I took my kids to the local park but some dirty ba@@@rd had shei'ite all down the slide..... WHY?
traffic is a nightmare, we get taxed to the hilt, council tax is horrendous, police are being replaced with worthless community support officers,road charging will be here soon, public transport is non existent for most, especially shift workers, beaches are covered in dog shit, paths are covered in dog shit, parks are covered in dog shit.
well if anyone else fancies a rant after a bad day like me please feel free i'm off for a glass of wine
Most of these problems (maybe not the dog poo!) occur here - some better, some worse.
Come for the pull of Australia, not the push of the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.