Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Wikiposts

WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:50 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default Re: WHY ARE WE LEAVING THE UK?

Originally Posted by NedKelly
If I had to name one thing that was so noticeable about Australia it is the lack of dog shit. It is so pleasant to be able to walk down the street without treading in a big dog turd in the middle of the pavement that some filthy dog owner has watched their dog expunge.

mers, you are going to love it here!
Where the hell did you live to get that much poop?! Isle of Dogs

Personally, i find the lack of litter over here quite amazing. I drove down a road that had more litter down it than normal and i noticed it straight-away. In the UK that amount would've been clean!

Remembering now on the days leading up to bin day, in the UK, people would leave bags of rubbish out the front of their houses, which would inevitably end up over the road/pavement (either by wind, dog, bird, drunk or bin man). Tampons, sausages, cans, eggs. Bleurgh. Tesco bags everywhere. Crisp packets on buses. Etc. Shudder.

I hope Australia doesn't catch on to that anytime soon...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I have seen some of the most aggressive anywhere driving in and around Brisbane. It's human nature and you can't escape it.
Hi there.

That is a very valid point. some guy literally hammered off another motorists door mirrors after being cut up in Perth and I have been "attacked" verbally on 2 seperate occasions in Perth (tossers are available anywhere). I just personally feel they are generally more relaxed in Perth than in the U.K and I cannot change that. It is just how I feel about most of the people in the U.K
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi there.

That is a very valid point. some guy literally hammered off another motorists door mirrors after being cut up in Perth and I have been "attacked" verbally on 2 seperate occasions in Perth (tossers are available anywhere). I just personally feel they are generally more relaxed in Perth than in the U.K and I cannot change that. It is just how I feel about most of the people in the U.K
I think it also depends where you come from and where you go to. I know loads of people that say the driving is really bad in SA, but after living in Bradford all my life I can honestly say (and my OH agrees) that driving here is a lot safer.

There's also a lot of different rules here that most people aren't aware of that do make a difference to how you should drive. We may think they are being bad drivers, but if they are following rules we don't know about then they aren't bad drivers - we are.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:12 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

Yeh, general attitude-wise I'd say the people are more relaxed here, I can generally talk to any given stranger and get a welcoming response, can't say that for where I come from in Kent. I shall get a reminder when I go back for a visit next year.

It's more of a 'take on face value' thing here, I think straight-talking is very much the way to go and anyone who is a bit up themselves will get short shrift from yer average Aussie (and there are plenty of non-average ).

The driving thing is weird because it stands-out so markedly from everything else ... I can't believe how people can tailgate the way they do, and that goes for the truckies as well (who I had some respect for in the UK).

And those frangipanis on the windows don't help
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think it also depends where you come from and where you go to. I know loads of people that say the driving is really bad in SA, but after living in Bradford all my life I can honestly say (and my OH agrees) that driving here is a lot safer.

There's also a lot of different rules here that most people aren't aware of that do make a difference to how you should drive. We may think they are being bad drivers, but if they are following rules we don't know about then they aren't bad drivers - we are.
I don't think slip-streaming to save petrol at 100kph while on the 'phone is a new rule
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Hi Wendy.

I found most people in Perth stuck to the speed limit and there is the annoying habit of not keeping left. Having said that I think it is quite nice people sticking to the limit and I would not like to see the cut up and go culture that is rife in the U.K.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think slip-streaming to save petrol at 100kph while on the 'phone is a new rule

No, it's not
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Wendy.

I found most people in Perth stuck to the speed limit and there is the annoying habit of not keeping left. Having said that I think it is quite nice people sticking to the limit and I would not like to see the cut up and go culture that is rife in the U.K.

One rule that I think is weird is that you aren't allowed to go less than 10kph less than the speed limit - unless the traffic warrants it
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Yeh, general attitude-wise I'd say the people are more relaxed here, I can generally talk to any given stranger and get a welcoming response, can't say that for where I come from in Kent. I shall get a reminder when I go back for a visit next year.

It's more of a 'take on face value' thing here, I think straight-talking is very much the way to go and anyone who is a bit up themselves will get short shrift from yer average Aussie (and there are plenty of non-average ).

The driving thing is weird because it stands-out so markedly from everything else ... I can't believe how people can tailgate the way they do, and that goes for the truckies as well (who I had some respect for in the UK).

And those frangipanis on the windows don't help
It is strange how we are in the U.K People are not known for there friendliness in the U.K especially the south but if you make a move they are quite friendly. I done a job in Essex last week and I must say it was a sea of stoney faces (most, not everyone). I did however have a bit of banter at the food van and also in B & Q. I just think we are naturally defensive of ourselves in the U.K but make a move and we are quite friendly
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:26 am
Account Closed

One rule that I think is weird is that you aren't allowed to go less than 10kph less than the speed limit - unless the traffic warrants it
Did not know that one
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

finona is an unknown quantity at this point

And those frangipanis on the windows don't help [/QUOTE]

Why do people have frangipanis on the window? Is it something that comes with the car when you buy it or do people actually buy them? Get distracted with all the cars that have them. Maybe that's why I get tailgated so often. Slowing down absent mindedly to look at the damn frangipani's.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:53 am

It is strange how we are in the U.K People are not known for there friendliness in the U.K especially the south but if you make a move they are quite friendly. I done a job in Essex last week and I must say it was a sea of stoney faces (most, not everyone). I did however have a bit of banter at the food van and also in B & Q. I just think we are naturally defensive of ourselves in the U.K but make a move and we are quite friendly
Yup, the old 'British reserve' in action, I am still hanging on to some of it but as time moves on I find myself loosening up a bit ... I think what is seen by some Brits as natural wariness can come across as arrogance or being aloof by some Aussies so I try to be a bit more 'open' as a rule.

Of course, these are all sweeping generalisations
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by finona
Why do people have frangipanis on the window? Is it something that comes with the car when you buy it or do people actually buy them? Get distracted with all the cars that have them. Maybe that's why I get tailgated so often. Slowing down absent mindedly to look at the damn frangipani's.
I think it's a bought thing to make the car more individual ... just like all the other individuals out there
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Had we not been to Australia we probably wold carry on how we are in the UK, but we met in Sydney in 1999 on a year out. Ever since we have wanted to return back to Australia. There are so many plus points to Oz, the weather, the people, the lifestyle.
And then we went and moved to Manchester and that has just pushed us further towards Oz. We certainly won't earn as much there as in the UK, but I know we will be happier.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt like how things were going for teens. Once our eldest got to high school age you start to get worried.

So we left and went to Europe for a couple of years.

My sister has a son same age as my teen, both similar kids. However she has had to move him to lots of schools since he was about 7 due to bullying. As a teen now, he has been beat up several times, robbed and now doing the drink binging with half his school. She found him about to be carted off in an ambulance, and recently unconcious under a bush the other weekend!
However he is really nice kid, and cant help wondering UK life doesnt agree with him.

Now I know no country is perfect, but my son has managed to avoid most of the above so far. I feel he was safer in a Europe city and here (although Im in rural Oz).

However I have to admit, my parents moved house constantly. So Ive always had a thing about moving and seeing the world. So for us its also about the adventure and experiencing new things.

I do like the UK, but not sure I could ever live there again. If WA didnt work out, we would probably try a new state and then another country.

GEMS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.