Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Pops, it's a good job me and the OH didn't check our bloodpressure Sunday afternoon - i dont know about spontaneously combusting - but i'm sure it could have been a possibility! The agent still hasn't got back to us to let us know whether he spoke to the guy that didnt show or not. So annoying. We're starting to think we've picked another wrong agent anyway - the guy handling our sale has been transferred to a different office - which is out of our actual area... so now we're wondering if that will affect the number of viewers we get (altho we've been assured it wont - yeah right!).
So you guys have dropped over £50,000 from last years valuation? crikey, that is a lot of money to drop. We'd dropped over £30,000 - and are now wondering whether we should ring the agent and see if the guy that offered a further £15,000 under our asking price is still interested... Not sure what to do....

I hope you hear back from the viewer you had....and that it's good news.
I'll keep my fingerscrossed for you
It's a difficult one really travelbug. It depends how much money you have in the house (equity)??? I feel that the market is getting busier, but who am I in the grand old scheme of things ? Also, when the visa needs to be activated by, unless you have already done that (the costs of validating and then having to come back???). School terms too as we want our son settled with a school for February 2010? Anyway, we decided that if the viewers come back to us, we too will be cheeky - it's our house after all !!! We were going to say we will only take asking price - we have not used an EA and have therefore not used any games (i.e. pricing higher than what we actually want or at an EA valuation - we are actually £10k lower than 4 EA's valuations) - we just put it up at what we need, which is significantly below market value - oh, and we in no rush - this was to be our speel (sp?) Sounds good in theory, but whether we could actually do it with a real life offer is another matter isn't it I think probably not! Only you can make the decision and remember, apparently house prices went up this month?!?!?. How long have you been up for sale??? I wish you luck and hope you can come to a decision - the only 'advice' I could give would be to go with your instincts, but then I havn't been successful with the old house selling have I? Keep your chin up xxx

Pops xxx
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Popsicals
It's a difficult one really travelbug. It depends how much money you have in the house (equity)??? I feel that the market is getting busier, but who am I in the grand old scheme of things ? Also, when the visa needs to be activated by, unless you have already done that (the costs of validating and then having to come back???). School terms too as we want our son settled with a school for February 2010? Anyway, we decided that if the viewers come back to us, we too will be cheeky - it's our house after all !!! We were going to say we will only take asking price - we have not used an EA and have therefore not used any games (i.e. pricing higher than what we actually want or at an EA valuation - we are actually £10k lower than 4 EA's valuations) - we just put it up at what we need, which is significantly below market value - oh, and we in no rush - this was to be our speel Sounds good in theory, but whether we could actually do it with a real life offer is another matter isn't it I think probably not! Only you can make the decision and remember, apparently house prices went up this month?!?!?. How long have you been up for sale??? I wish you luck and hope you can come to a decision - the only 'advice' I could give would be to go with your instincts, but then I havn't been successful with the old house selling have I? Keep your chin up xxx

Pops xxx
Hi, and thanks It's hard to know what to do really, although we have equity in the house, it's now a lot less than we thought we would have when we started with the thoughts of moving to Australia...and will affect our plans when we get there.. We received our visa's April 2007, and validated them later that year....but it had taken us over 18months from our initial enquiries through to obtaining them....so we feel now that moving to Oz has taken up the last 4 years of our lives and we're still not there! We really should have gone soon after our validation trip as i truly believe at that time we'd have sold very quickly as demand for properties was high then in our area...
It's unfortunate that when we finally decided to go for it - the credit crunch struck and we perhaps took the house off the market when we shouldnt have.
But i know it's been said many times on this thread before - hindsight is a wonderful thing
We've only been back on the market again since January - so i guess it's still early days for us this time around compared to some of you guys on here, so it probably would be hasty to accept the 1st offer that comes along. We'll just have to pray it's not the only offer!
I hope you receive your asking price - or as close as possible to it (the same wish goes for everyone on this thread) ....
I've had a terrible day at work today which doesnt help with the mood! Just makes me want the move even more - which i guess isnt necessarily a bad thing.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lornagoingtobrissy
Hi all
Havent posted on here for a while because had no good news but today we have accepted an offer on our house cant believe it!
After being on market for 18months and dropping 40k!
We will have no deposit for a house in Oz and OH will have to get a job bloody quick after we land but if it all goes to plan we should arrive July/Aug time.
Good luck to everybody else selling it will happen i never thought it would and it has!
Lorna
Hi Lorna thats fantastic news we cant afford to buy here in Oz either but renting really isn't no bad a lot cheaper than the UK and if you dont like it you can move on

Best of luck to you all and :curse::curse::curse: to the no show's and EA's!!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi Lorna thats fantastic news we cant afford to buy here in Oz either but renting really isn't no bad a lot cheaper than the UK and if you dont like it you can move on

Best of luck to you all and :curse::curse::curse: to the no show's and EA's!!!
In Sydney we pay in rent per week what we paid per month for our mortgage- so it isn't necessarily cheaper. depends on location and size of house.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
In Sydney we pay in rent per week what we paid per month for our mortgage- so it isn't necessarily cheaper. depends on location and size of house.
Blimey Caroline did you have a low morg or do you live in a mansion now

In uk we paid £1000 per month morg now live in a bigger house (garden is smaller tho ) now pay $1000 rent per month and live in a nice area too. this was one of the reasons we choose adelaide
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your good wishes
i still cant believe its going to happen after all this time.
I know we must be mad going with 3 kids and not a lot of money but you only live once!

Lorna
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Blimey Caroline did you have a low morg or do you live in a mansion now

In uk we paid £1000 per month morg now live in a bigger house (garden is smaller tho ) now pay $1000 rent per month and live in a nice area too. this was one of the reasons we choose adelaide
In the UK we paid £400 on the mortgage, got it down from £750 due to hard work and a "one" account. Here we pay $740 pw (just gone up) plus about $100 pcm pool maintainence. No it isn't a mansion, it's a 50's 3 bed plus study/bed 4 full brick (mouldy) dwelling opposite a railway and next to a busy road. The air con has only just been fixed after 6 months! However it is in Killara which is a pricey area.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi all
Havent posted on here for a while because had no good news but today we have accepted an offer on our house cant believe it!
We will have no deposit for a house in Oz and OH will have to get a job bloody quick after we land but if it all goes to plan we should arrive July/Aug time.
Good luck to everybody else selling it will happen i never thought it would and it has!
Lorna

You must be really chuffed!! 18 months on the market, bloody hell that must have seemed forever!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

pamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Originally Posted by Popsicals
Hi

I was wondering if anybody has any advice about holding the house price when the negotiations start/an offer is made??? As we are selling ourselves I was interested how the negotiations may go and how we would maintain as close to asking price as possible. I understand that the market is not good and our house is priced accordingly, but just thought some of you out there may have experience of these negotiations and be able to share your 'tips' .

Thanks

Pops xxx
I'm afraid there is no guarantee about holding the offer price, only when the contracts have been exchanged can you relax a bit. The problem is that there are some unscrupulous people out there who will leave it 'til the exchange day and say they want it for less, so after the survey and searches have been done, a month or more has passed and you have to decide whether to drop more or say 'stuff you' and start again. (This time we have insisted that our EA still sends viewers to us and if anyone is interested they go on a waiting list if our sale falls apart)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

pamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura about

Hi all
Lorna
Brilliant news!! I hope it all goes smoothly
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Well, we have finally decided to ring the agent back to see if that guy's low offer is still on the table...and if it is we will accept it.

Lorna is right - we only live once and all this stress over money is just not worth it in the end....

Will let you know what happens!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pamjames
The problem is that there are some unscrupulous people out there who will leave it 'til the exchange day and say they want it for less, )
Same as there were unscrupulous people "gazumping" (in England) when things were going stupid with house prices. May be some people who were gazumped are getting their own back ?!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by travelbug
Well, we have finally decided to ring the agent back to see if that guy's low offer is still on the table...and if it is we will accept it.

Lorna is right - we only live once and all this stress over money is just not worth it in the end....

Will let you know what happens!
Perhaps you could say you will meet him half-way? - we did and they accepted
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pamjames
Perhaps you could say you will meet him half-way? - we did and they accepted
Hi there The guy was part of a consortium and that was his "final" offer apparently. Anyway, my OH has just rung me back - the agent got hold of the guy but he's on holiday till next friday....he remembers our property (had put in offers on quite a few), and will ring the agent next week when he's back....In the meantime we've given the agent the go-ahead to knock another £5000off our current asking price...we'll see if that generates anymore interest...

such fun this house selling business isn't it!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Same as there were unscrupulous people "gazumping" (in England) when things were going stupid with house prices. May be some people who were gazumped are getting their own back ?!
Yes - they call the current trend 'gazundering' !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.