The Thyroid Thread

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi!I am just down the road to you, your chemist can give you a form to claim back what you pay on prescriptions until you get your new exemption card. I have just had to do that for my son.
Yes, I'm going to claim the exemption today, shame I didn't keep the receipt for the medicine which I just bought though ..

Where do you live then?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SW3105;6107971]Yes, I'm going to claim the exemption today, shame I didn't keep the receipt for the medicine which I just bought though ..

Where do you live then?[/QUOTE

I am over Hertfordshire way, find it quite flat and a lot of farming this way. Hopefully moving to Brisbane.

Last edited by ausi dream; Mar 25th 2008 at 2:42 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:23 am
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, had it for nearly twenty years and sorry to say i still feel crap. At the moment i feel like i could sleepall the time but im lucky if i get six hours sleep a night with the children and then i am supposed to keep going all day.:curse:
I can totally sympathise, my own child all night then around 150 different children each day!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:00 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

You say since you got on to natural thyroid, but what do you mean by natural thyroid? If you don't mind me asking.
Hello. Sorry for delay... was off line for a while.

Natural thyroid is dessicated pig thyroid. It contains active T3, T2, T1 and T7 amongst other good things, and it suits some people more than others where T4 may cease to work effectively.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

sounds gross-sometimes better off not knowing where all this stuff comes from.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SW3105
Hi, I'm going to crash this thyroid party!

Just to explain our backgrounds, my Gran had hypothyroidism, my Mum has it, so I was regularly tested for it from age 17. My levels have always been borderline so I've always made a point of eating better than I used to thinking that maybe a diet could throw your body out anyway. I'm no calorie counter and believe everything in moderation is ok.

When I finally fell pregnant (after a year of trying) at age 26, I had my normal bloods taken and they took a sample for TFT's too, and it showed that they'd finally tipped over. I was put on a 25mcg Levothyroxine, 6 months later, that was upped to 75mcg. But it was too much, I help hyper, I couldn't sit still, my legs were tingly and kept 'walking', so we managed to even out the dose by taking 25, 25, 50 over a 3 day rota - don't ask me how I remembered which day was which, but I did! Anyway, after I had Clara and had finished breastfeeding - she was 7 months old, I started to get that hyper feeling again so took my meds down to 25mcg which I feel a lot happier on now. I have to go back in 4 months to have my bloods retested after dropping my meds by myself, but my doctor is really great. I told her what I did, and she said that only I know how I feel, and each case is completely individual, but if I'mso in tune with myself that I can feel when I'm low or high, then I have the medication available to me to self sort.

That's me.

My OH was sitting at home one evening - about 2 years ago and was conscious of his heartbeat, and that it was skipping. He was sweating and short of breath, so we rode off in an ambulance and he was rested and monitored and sent home.
It happened again a few weeks later and they kept him in overnight, the hospital took a lot of tests and ruled out a lot of other ailments, and it turned out that he also had hypothyroidism, so now he takes 25mcg a day too. His doctor was also very good and dealt swiftly with getting tests and test results and finally an answer to the problem.

We both feel a lot better now, my problem seems more difficult to deal with as I can go up and down like anything, but he seems quite stable and has done ever since he started taking his meds. He keeps forgetting to take it though, and hasn't for the last month and complained yesterday that he was feeling really tired so I've kicked him again to take his meds ...

That's us! Hi!
Given your dose is so low, have you tried to treat your adrenals too? Recent research indicates that a low functioning thyroid can be the end result of adrenal fatigue.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by flossie22
sounds gross-sometimes better off not knowing where all this stuff comes from.
Do you eat bacon? Or roast pork?

It's not gross at all... and if you knew that the best selling meds in the US for menopause is made from horse pee (horses in stalls, tied up, made to drink, then urine extracted with tubes... cruel and painful) , then you'd be happy to take it.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Mar 28th 2008 at 12:26 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Never heard of partners having thyroid issues!!
At least he knows how you feel and vice versa.
I must say this thread and the people on here have helped me a lot.J x

Actually, it's quite common that thyroid people attract other thyroid people...

Weird isn't it? It might be due to similarities in lifestyles or activity levels... or something more.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:09 pm

my nan had hyper active, my mum hypo active and I got diagnosed with hypoactive too. I am on 125mcg of thyroxine-I think its a real bummer-I want the one that makes u skinny. My BMI is fine-I go to the gym and work hard but I cant get back to my size 10-no matter how hard I try. I am between a 12 and a 14.

Anyone have any dietry advice? i know prawns and olives contain iodine and should be limited

please help-I wanna have a beach babe figure for Aus

xxx

You are on the one that 'makes you skinny' but in truth, if your medication isn't at the right level for you (what we call 'optimised') then you won't lose weight very easily at all.

Prawns and olives shouldn't be limited at all! Who told you that?

If you have Hashimoto's, which is an auto immune problem which attacks the thyroid, then yes, avoid iodine rich foods because usually, iodine makes you worse.
If you have regular hypothyroidism, then include iodine rich foods in your diet. You can also use iodised salt.

Did you know that thyroxine is basically 4 chains of iodine? That's its molecular structure.

What you should avoid are 'Goitrogenic' foods... But the goitrogenic part is taken away by cooking anyway.

Here's a link for you to read:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

As for diet, most thyroid peeps tend to do better on a higher protein and slightly lower carb diet. South Beach diet for example, if you needed something to follow, is a great one,

Have lost 80lb on it so far.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:11 pm

I have not heard that you are not supposed to eat certain things with hypothyroidism, can some one please tell me what and why?

See above post re goitrogenic foods.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:13 pm

As for your husband he should take his medication near enough the same time every day to feel any benefit from it at all, as by missing out a tablet here and there he will feel the symptoms of it a week or two later not at the time of missing them.
Thyroxine is better metabolised over night. Take it last thing at night on an empty stomach, or under the tongue (sub lingually) where it goes straight into the blood stream.
It converts to higher amounts of T3 overnight than it does during the day.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:15 pm

Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Ok, well we've found out that the pharmacist has made a total cock up with Nic's meds ...

She should've been given 100MCG x 200 and has actually been given 200MCG x 200 ...

Sooooo, she took 200MCG a day for the first 3 weeks!

No wonder the doc put her down to 75MCG (thinking she was on 100) after first blood test after 3 weeks.

Only in Australia!

Oh and the dog is fine ...
Not only in Australia, sadly. Pretty common all over actually.

That's too high to start on... she should be starting slowly to get the body used to it... but it's only short term and she should be balanced out soon.

What are her blood results? Her TSH needs to be around 1.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:16 pm

You will find that you will be monitored closely until you are on a stable level and then your blood tests should go to yearly eventually.
If your gran and your mum has hypothyroidism and now you then it would be hereditary thyroid condition i would think.
You should really be tested twice a year... once in summer and once in winter... this way you can adjust meds for metabolic changes... faster in summer and need less meds, slower in winter and need more.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:17 pm

one benefit 4 hypothyroidism is that all nhs percriptions are free as it is a life threatening condition-what happens in aus?
You pay about $29 for about a 6 month supply. None of this going back to the doc every month....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by funkydelia
Just to introduce myself, I'm Delia and have had thyroid problems since I was 17 (I'm now 29). It was a speech therapist who spotted it as I had a goiter that was pressing on my vocal chords and causing vocal chord nodules. She sent me to endocrinologist who said I had Hashimotos disease.
To cut a long story short I've never felt right, took 5 years to fall pregnant with baby #1 and am still trying after 3years for baby #2, I'm about 5 stone heavier than I would like to be too.
I take 200mcg thyroxine like clockwork and get confused, tired, dry skin yet when I went for a blood test a couple of weeks ago the doctor's receptionist (yes, receptionist) told me I was fine when I phoned for my results!

HELP!

What do I need to ask for? I have a private GP available to me (which we use for our son's complex condition) but have never thought to discuss this with him. He's the guy who set up Netdoctor and is wonderful.

I never realised until I read this thread. I am one of the people that assumed that feeling this crap was normal because its been so long!
Ah, your doctor's receptionist is a thyroid expert... that's quite common.

Right, you need to find a doctor who can give you proper medication because if you are not symptom free, then you are not optimised. End of story.
Find a doc who will go on symptoms and not on your numbers.
I would speak to your net doc guy. He sounds good.

Some thyroid people do increase their own dose if they can't get help from their doctor.... You cut your little pills up with a pill cutter (available from your chemist) and then you increase by 25mcg every few weeks until you are better.

Of course, I am not a doctor and would not recommend such an action because this could be seen as irresponsible but it's very common because people don't get help and get desperate.

Are you taking any vitamins?

How about selenium? Co enzyme Q10? Vitamin B complex? C? Magnesium? High dose yourself on these things.... essential for energy and T4 conversion.

Avoid taking your thyroxine with other vitamins... no iron or calcium with it. So don't swallow it with your coffee in the morning... calcium in the milk...

Take your T4 under your tongue and let it dissolve there... you get a higher dose. This way you don't have to wait for an hour before you eat.... and you can drink what you like then..
Does that help any? Hope so.

Find a doc and push for your health. It's important because left untreated it's a life threatening condition... You can feel well again, for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.