The Thyroid Thread

Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:27 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Jack shite!

Still pay for your prescriptions and they cost a small fortune!

I don't know how anyone can afford to be ill here, I really don't ...

They're not expensive! Thyroxine is cheap! $29 for 6 months!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by flossie22
I'll try and stock up on them b4 I leave then....

I hope netdoctor works out 4 u!!!!
You can ask for up to 6 months supply I think... check with your doctor. You're emigrating, then you're due that much to tide you over. Rules may have changed but I know it's 3 months at least.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:31 pm

Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by donna
Its Natural thyroid Hormone and it comes from pigs thyroid(it does too cos it smells like a farmyard)I was on thyroxine but it made no difference to me so they put me on this,it has t3 ,t4 etc and has all the same ingredient as your own thyroid,which the synthetic version doesnt.It costs an arm an a leg though,i was paying about $30 for thyroxine about 6months supply(i reckon thats cheap)but the NTH costs me$90 for about 6 weeksOn top of that i have DHEA $90,to try to get my hormones up again ,along with progesterone cream $95.I call that expensive.
But hey its better than spending allday,every day in bed.
good luck to all
donna
Sounds like you and me are on similar... I have testosterone cream.. not progesterone, but I am well... I look and feel great so I can't put a price on that.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:38 pm

Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Sorry but i may not be quite understanding thisbut what are the antibodies? And what does the thyroid panel mean?

Right. If you have Hasimoto's then you have an auto immune condition. This means you are more susceptible to poor health, colds etc... but it also attacks your thyroid and knackers it. To find out if you have Hashi's you have your antibodies tested... and if you have thyroid antibodies it means you have Hashi's.

A thyroid panel is a full load of tests for your thyroid. So you'd have a TSH test, a liver function test, your cholesterol tested, a Free T3 and Free T4 test (the amount of free's in your blood indicates where you are running low and on what, enabling medication to be far more targeted) etc. Those are usually the tests involved in a full thyroid panel which a good thyroid doc will do for you.

Flippin' heck, have I caught up yet?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy

On the contrary, I had far more trouble in the UK with my meds than I have had here. For me the doctors here have been 500% better with the medication, their attutide and their knowledge of thyroid problems. If you are going to let anything stop you migrating, then don't let it be the doctors as they are fantastic here.

Agreed with Wendy totally. You can choose your best option here, not suffer at your GP's hands if he or she isn't good.
I've had much better care here in Aus.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy
I am on 200mcg's per day so take two whole tablets, when I first got here though I was on 150mcg's and was able to buy both 100mcg and 50mcg tablets. If I hadn't then I would have just snapped one in half

You can buy 'branded' or 'generic' tablets, the generic ones are just the same as the branded ones only cheaper - do not for one minute think they are better just because they are dearer. That's like saying starbucks coffee is better than the local cafe just because it's got a brand name that you are paying extra for - they both sell the same coffee, it's just in a different cup and one charges more than the other.

Don't know about dentists, don't like them so won't go unless I have to.
Ah, but some of the fillers in the generic brands can cause allergies in some people... so if you find something that works for you, stick with it. It does make a difference when it comes to generic verses branded for some people....

Right, that's me done. Have a nice day y'all.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Sounds like you and me are on similar... I have testosterone cream.. not progesterone, but I am well... I look and feel great so I can't put a price on that.
Yeah,was feeling really good but seemed to have gone downhill lately.Have just had my rt3 tested,but need to research that as i can't get my head around the calculating malarkely
Hope all is going well with you
donna
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by donna
Yeah,was feeling really good but seemed to have gone downhill lately.Have just had my rt3 tested,but need to research that as i can't get my head around the calculating malarkely
Hope all is going well with you
donna
Doing ok. Is your rT3 high?

If it is, taking the T3 will get rid of it and get you back to normal. I don't calculate... I just take it until I feel well.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thyroxine is better metabolised over night. Take it last thing at night on an empty stomach, or under the tongue (sub lingually) where it goes straight into the blood stream.
It converts to higher amounts of T3 overnight than it does during the day.
Hi Tidllypom, i take my tablets first thing in the morning with a cup of tea, should i change to evening time. I have been taking thyroxine in the morning as i thought i had to eat something with the tablets.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Right. If you have Hasimoto's then you have an auto immune condition. This means you are more susceptible to poor health, colds etc... but it also attacks your thyroid and knackers it. To find out if you have Hashi's you have your antibodies tested... and if you have thyroid antibodies it means you have Hashi's.

A thyroid panel is a full load of tests for your thyroid. So you'd have a TSH test, a liver function test, your cholesterol tested, a Free T3 and Free T4 test (the amount of free's in your blood indicates where you are running low and on what, enabling medication to be far more targeted) etc. Those are usually the tests involved in a full thyroid panel which a good thyroid doc will do for you.

Flippin' heck, have I caught up yet?
Thanks for that Tiddlypom.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:53 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Ah, your doctor's receptionist is a thyroid expert... that's quite common.

Right, you need to find a doctor who can give you proper medication because if you are not symptom free, then you are not optimised. End of story.
Find a doc who will go on symptoms and not on your numbers.
I would speak to your net doc guy. He sounds good.

Some thyroid people do increase their own dose if they can't get help from their doctor.... You cut your little pills up with a pill cutter (available from your chemist) and then you increase by 25mcg every few weeks until you are better.

Of course, I am not a doctor and would not recommend such an action because this could be seen as irresponsible but it's very common because people don't get help and get desperate.

Are you taking any vitamins?

How about selenium? Co enzyme Q10? Vitamin B complex? C? Magnesium? High dose yourself on these things.... essential for energy and T4 conversion.

Avoid taking your thyroxine with other vitamins... no iron or calcium with it. So don't swallow it with your coffee in the morning... calcium in the milk...

Take your T4 under your tongue and let it dissolve there... you get a higher dose. This way you don't have to wait for an hour before you eat.... and you can drink what you like then..
Does that help any? Hope so.

Find a doc and push for your health. It's important because left untreated it's a life threatening condition... You can feel well again, for sure.
Thanks for the reply, seeing doc on Monday (ah the wonders of school holidays!)

I'll wait and see what he says before I think about increasing dosage (incidentally we get 25mcg tabs here too so I wouldn't be needing the pill cutter as I' ve still got some in date from the last increase!)

Never thought about vitamins either, I'll look into those you mentioned.

What's the deal with the different foods? I'm vegetarian but eat fish (so not vegetarian, I know!) and have a goiter and Hashimotos
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi Tidllypom, i take my tablets first thing in the morning with a cup of tea, should i change to evening time. I have been taking thyroxine in the morning as i thought i had to eat something with the tablets.

Arghhhh! No... no food. Ok, if you take your thyroxine in the morning, you do not eat for at least an hour and it must be on an empty stomach....

To get around this, you can instead put the tablets under your tongue where they will dissolve and enter your blood stream by the sub lingual vein which runs there. This way, you get a higher amount of thyroxine in your system as it's not lost by being processed by the liver (which is what happens when you take it into your stomach)

If you take it sublingually, you can eat straight away if you like... food in stomach, meds in blood stream... see how that works?

As studies indicate that you make more T3 (what you need for your thyroid) from your tablet of T4 overnight, then the best way to do this is to take it at night, last thing before bed, sublingually....
Then you have the best of all worlds.

Don't have tea with it because the milk will affect the absorbtion. In fact, tea's quite high in fluoride too.... which isn't good for your thyroid.

Betcha wanted to hear that, right? Actually, caffeine suppresses thyroid action too... but hell, I love coffee and there's only so much you can give up.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by funkydelia
Thanks for the reply, seeing doc on Monday (ah the wonders of school holidays!)

I'll wait and see what he says before I think about increasing dosage (incidentally we get 25mcg tabs here too so I wouldn't be needing the pill cutter as I' ve still got some in date from the last increase!)

Never thought about vitamins either, I'll look into those you mentioned.

What's the deal with the different foods? I'm vegetarian but eat fish (so not vegetarian, I know!) and have a goiter and Hashimotos
Different foods thing is explained in this post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=159

Avoid raw goitrogenic foods. You shouldn't have that goitre if you're being effectively treated... that's your thyroid swollen from working too hard.... Kick that doc's ass.

Mrs Jackaroo had her thyroid removed and it was considerably huge.... Sometimes it's worth going down that route.... but my doc in Sydney would sort you out for sure. People come from all over Australia to see her, she's so good.

Good luck at the doctor.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:06 am
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Different foods thing is explained in this post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=159

Avoid raw goitrogenic foods. You shouldn't have that goitre if you're being effectively treated... that's your thyroid swollen from working too hard.... Kick that doc's ass.

Mrs Jackaroo had her thyroid removed and it was considerably huge.... Sometimes it's worth going down that route.... but my doc in Sydney would sort you out for sure. People come from all over Australia to see her, she's so good.

Good luck at the doctor.
Hmm nobody ever said that about the goitre before, I've had it for 12 years now!

Thanks for the link, just off for a read.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Doing ok. Is your rT3 high?

If it is, taking the T3 will get rid of it and get you back to normal. I don't calculate... I just take it until I feel well.
My t3 4.6(2.8-6.8)
My free rt3 336(140-540)
My free t4 12.1(10-20)
All within range but on the thyroid site i was told it was not good when they did the calculations.Im soo confused.
Which t3 do you take again.
You should set up a consultantcy for this.
thx again donna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.