The Thyroid Thread

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Hi, I'm going to crash this thyroid party!

Just to explain our backgrounds, my Gran had hypothyroidism, my Mum has it, so I was regularly tested for it from age 17. My levels have always been borderline so I've always made a point of eating better than I used to thinking that maybe a diet could throw your body out anyway. I'm no calorie counter and believe everything in moderation is ok.

When I finally fell pregnant (after a year of trying) at age 26, I had my normal bloods taken and they took a sample for TFT's too, and it showed that they'd finally tipped over. I was put on a 25mcg Levothyroxine, 6 months later, that was upped to 75mcg. But it was too much, I help hyper, I couldn't sit still, my legs were tingly and kept 'walking', so we managed to even out the dose by taking 25, 25, 50 over a 3 day rota - don't ask me how I remembered which day was which, but I did! Anyway, after I had Clara and had finished breastfeeding - she was 7 months old, I started to get that hyper feeling again so took my meds down to 25mcg which I feel a lot happier on now. I have to go back in 4 months to have my bloods retested after dropping my meds by myself, but my doctor is really great. I told her what I did, and she said that only I know how I feel, and each case is completely individual, but if I'mso in tune with myself that I can feel when I'm low or high, then I have the medication available to me to self sort.

That's me.

My OH was sitting at home one evening - about 2 years ago and was conscious of his heartbeat, and that it was skipping. He was sweating and short of breath, so we rode off in an ambulance and he was rested and monitored and sent home.
It happened again a few weeks later and they kept him in overnight, the hospital took a lot of tests and ruled out a lot of other ailments, and it turned out that he also had hypothyroidism, so now he takes 25mcg a day too. His doctor was also very good and dealt swiftly with getting tests and test results and finally an answer to the problem.

We both feel a lot better now, my problem seems more difficult to deal with as I can go up and down like anything, but he seems quite stable and has done ever since he started taking his meds. He keeps forgetting to take it though, and hasn't for the last month and complained yesterday that he was feeling really tired so I've kicked him again to take his meds ...

That's us! Hi!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of partners having thyroid issues!!
At least he knows how you feel and vice versa.
I must say this thread and the people on here have helped me a lot.J x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Never heard of partners having thyroid issues!!
At least he knows how you feel and vice versa.
I must say this thread and the people on here have helped me a lot.J x
Yippee, so we're one in a million!

It was a bit of a shock to find out that his problem was caused by thyroid aswell, but as I'd learned the ins and outs of the problem when my Mum was diagnosed, it was great for me to be able to explain to him as he didn't like being on any medications .. It has made me feel a bit weary about Clara though knowing that there is a big chance of her having the same problem, she had her normal checks as a newborn and nothing came back but they said that it's not a congenital disorder but is more likely to come in her 20's, I guess I'll just be aware of it and make sure she is aswell.

Thanks for the welcome .. I'm sure I'll get lots of advice here
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

my nan had hyper active, my mum hypo active and I got diagnosed with hypoactive too. I am on 125mcg of thyroxine-I think its a real bummer-I want the one that makes u skinny. My BMI is fine-I go to the gym and work hard but I cant get back to my size 10-no matter how hard I try. I am between a 12 and a 14.

Anyone have any dietry advice? i know prawns and olives contain iodine and should be limited

please help-I wanna have a beach babe figure for Aus

xxx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Haha, I want that beach babe figure too!

Part of my problem is that I'm finding hard to shift the last bit of baby bulge too, OH has just signed up to a gym, so I've asked him to buy me Davina McCalls workout DVD to try to get me into shape. Plus, I might check out the local pool, I know that they have a creche so might try to swim once a week, don't know how much good that will do but might do something.

When we moved, I kept the same doctors and with Clara, I'm there nearly once a month and I try to go to a baby group every 2 weeks, they are both a 30 minute fast walk away and with a huge pushchair that's got to burn calories off. I'll walk everywhere, and have started to walk at lunchtime on the days that I'm at work so I'm not not exercising ...

I'm also between a 12-14 - but I was cursed with large mammories which breastfeeding didn't do any favours for so I have a hard time feeling like I look decent.

Maybe we could do a support thread for us bikini babe wannabes? I'd be cool to join, I just want to tone up, lose my tummy and maybe get to a definitive size 12 instead of between the two?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

after ahving a 9 pound baby-I'm thinking 'sod-it' time to save and have a tummy tuck-I really dont like my mummy tummy\
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flossie22
after ahving a 9 pound baby-I'm thinking 'sod-it' time to save and have a tummy tuck-I really dont like my mummy tummy\
I'll pop out another and then I'll go the whole hog - tummy tuck, boob reduction and I'll be sorted!
How old is your baby? My daughter just turned 1 3 weeks ago.
How far are you into your application? Looks like we're headed to the same place!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
What is this out of curiosity?

I'm prob wrong but I don't think anything is gonna sort Nic out apart from medicine. She's knackered ALL the time, putting on weight even tho she is VERY aware of what is good for her and bad. She rarely drinks, doesn't smoke, and altho I tease her all the time (), she DOESN'T eat cream cakes all day long! She can be a bit of a calorie counter so as I say she's well aware of what's goin in!

She gets about an hour a day of brisk walking. That's 15 mins from car to workplace and back, and we have a dog who gets walked for 30 in the eve.

Of the symptoms listed she is suffering with heaps of them so as I said we're as good as sure it's her thyroid on the wonk!
Hi Paul, Sorry perhaps i am a bit slow here but is it your other half(if you don't mind me saying that) or your dog that has the thyroid problem and are they on the thyroid medication.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard that you are not supposed to eat certain things with hypothyroidism, can some one please tell me what and why?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

my babies are now 18 and 14. I was 17 when i had my son-so was very slim-all baby bump-thats what done the damage.

I have a book on a thyroid diet-i havent had chance to read it yet as I am doing my family planning course at the mo-and am trying to write an assignment.

i will put up the reference later.

I also wanna boob job-dunno if better ti have it done in uk or wait til aus-my hubbie worried about mrsa rates in the uk
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SW3105

Just to explain our backgrounds, my Gran had hypothyroidism, my Mum has it, so I was regularly tested for it from age 17. My levels have always been borderline so I've always made a point of eating better than I used to thinking that maybe a diet could throw your body out anyway. I'm no calorie counter and believe everything in moderation is ok.

When I finally fell pregnant (after a year of trying) at age 26, I had my normal bloods taken and they took a sample for TFT's too, and it showed that they'd finally tipped over. I was put on a 25mcg Levothyroxine, 6 months later, that was upped to 75mcg. But it was too much, I help hyper, I couldn't sit still, my legs were tingly and kept 'walking', so we managed to even out the dose by taking 25, 25, 50 over a 3 day rota - don't ask me how I remembered which day was which, but I did! Anyway, after I had Clara and had finished breastfeeding - she was 7 months old, I started to get that hyper feeling again so took my meds down to 25mcg which I feel a lot happier on now. I have to go back in 4 months to have my bloods retested after dropping my meds by myself, but my doctor is really great. I told her what I did, and she said that only I know how I feel, and each case is completely individual, but if I'mso in tune with myself that I can feel when I'm low or high, then I have the medication available to me to self sort.

That's me.

My OH was sitting at home one evening - about 2 years ago and was conscious of his heartbeat, and that it was skipping. He was sweating and short of breath, so we rode off in an ambulance and he was rested and monitored and sent home.
It happened again a few weeks later and they kept him in overnight, the hospital took a lot of tests and ruled out a lot of other ailments, and it turned out that he also had hypothyroidism, so now he takes 25mcg a day too. His doctor was also very good and dealt swiftly with getting tests and test results and finally an answer to the problem.

We both feel a lot better now, my problem seems more difficult to deal with as I can go up and down like anything, but he seems quite stable and has done ever since he started taking his meds. He keeps forgetting to take it though, and hasn't for the last month and complained yesterday that he was feeling really tired so I've kicked him again to take his meds ...

That's us! Hi!
You will find that you will be monitored closely until you are on a stable level and then your blood tests should go to yearly eventually.
If your gran and your mum has hypothyroidism and now you then it would be hereditary thyroid condition i would think.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SW3105

That's me.

That's us! Hi!
As for your husband he should take his medication near enough the same time every day to feel any benefit from it at all, as by missing out a tablet here and there he will feel the symptoms of it a week or two later not at the time of missing them.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Your GP sounds excellent. That's so refreshing.

Yes since I got onto natural thyroid, I've had a life change. It's been wonderful to feel how other people feel all the time...
You say since you got on to natural thyroid, but what do you mean by natural thyroid? If you don't mind me asking.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Ok to update on Nic's blood test.

She had it yesterday and see the GP today and yes, her thyroid is very much underactive. The GP said the result was quite a bit worse since the last test 3 weeks ago.

She's been given Thyroxine and 100MCG tablets and been told to take half for 7 days, then a full tab and will have another blood test in 3 weeks time.

She mentioned to the GP that she'd heard that this medication wasn't the best and he poo poo'd the idea and said he hasn't had anyone not have success with this medication.

We'll see I spose, but he's told her not to expect miracles till the correct dose has been worked out which will take a little time.
Hi Paul,
I have just read back and caught this reply of yours and i should think that nic has been feeling very poorly, since they have started her straight off on 100 mcg. Had she had any signs like hair falling out and dry skin e,c,t. After being that poorly before starting on that level i should think she will start to feel an improvement soon but will still take time to get settled on the right level. I wish you all the best.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi Paul,
I have just read back and caught this reply of yours and i should think that nic has been feeling very poorly, since they have started her straight off on 100 mcg. Had she had any signs like hair falling out and dry skin e,c,t. After being that poorly before starting on that level i should think she will start to feel an improvement soon but will still take time to get settled on the right level. I wish you all the best.
Ok, well we've found out that the pharmacist has made a total cock up with Nic's meds ...

She should've been given 100MCG x 200 and has actually been given 200MCG x 200 ...

Sooooo, she took 200MCG a day for the first 3 weeks!

No wonder the doc put her down to 75MCG (thinking she was on 100) after first blood test after 3 weeks.

Only in Australia!

Oh and the dog is fine ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.