The Thyroid Thread

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Ok, well we've found out that the pharmacist has made a total cock up with Nic's meds ...

She should've been given 100MCG x 200 and has actually been given 200MCG x 200 ...

Sooooo, she took 200MCG a day for the first 3 weeks!

No wonder the doc put her down to 75MCG (thinking she was on 100) after first blood test after 3 weeks.

Only in Australia!

Oh and the dog is fine ...
Glad you are both getting sorted out with things, and that the dog is well too.
All the best.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

one benefit 4 hypothyroidism is that all nhs percriptions are free as it is a life threatening condition-what happens in aus?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Just to introduce myself, I'm Delia and have had thyroid problems since I was 17 (I'm now 29). It was a speech therapist who spotted it as I had a goiter that was pressing on my vocal chords and causing vocal chord nodules. She sent me to endocrinologist who said I had Hashimotos disease.
To cut a long story short I've never felt right, took 5 years to fall pregnant with baby #1 and am still trying after 3years for baby #2, I'm about 5 stone heavier than I would like to be too.
I take 200mcg thyroxine like clockwork and get confused, tired, dry skin yet when I went for a blood test a couple of weeks ago the doctor's receptionist (yes, receptionist) told me I was fine when I phoned for my results!

HELP!

What do I need to ask for? I have a private GP available to me (which we use for our son's complex condition) but have never thought to discuss this with him. He's the guy who set up Netdoctor and is wonderful.

I never realised until I read this thread. I am one of the people that assumed that feeling this crap was normal because its been so long!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flossie22
one benefit 4 hypothyroidism is that all nhs percriptions are free as it is a life threatening condition-what happens in aus?
Jack shite!

Still pay for your prescriptions and they cost a small fortune!

I don't know how anyone can afford to be ill here, I really don't ...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll try and stock up on them b4 I leave then....

I hope netdoctor works out 4 u!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

I'll try and stock up on them b4 I leave then....

I hope netdoctor works out 4 u!!!!
Good move, get as much as you can, everything!! Even Ibuprofen in the supermarket (home brand) here cost £1.50 for 24. I'm sure I could get a Tesco brand (same as any other) for something silly like 40p !?!? ... not far wrong if I am.

I was back in the UK last November and instead of bringing a suitcase of goodies for the kids back I should've filled it with them! ... woulda made a small fortune selling them on street corners!

Who's netdoctor when at home? ...

(just Googled, and he's not coming to me / her)
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Jack shite!

Still pay for your prescriptions and they cost a small fortune!

I don't know how anyone can afford to be ill here, I really don't ...
Yikes! That's good to know ... My maternity exemption just expired a few weeks ago, I gotta sign up for the medical exemption for the thyroxine now, but I just had to pay for a prescription but it was a double script - £13.80!! Was cheaper to buy over the counter. Think I'm going to put a lot of iboprufen in my case when we leave too.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SW3105
Yikes! That's good to know ... My maternity exemption just expired a few weeks ago, I gotta sign up for the medical exemption for the thyroxine now, but I just had to pay for a prescription but it was a double script - £13.80!! Was cheaper to buy over the counter. Think I'm going to put a lot of iboprufen in my case when we leave too.
Yeah do!

Thing is here there's no 'prescription charge' ... no £7 fixed, or whatever it was. You get your prescription from your doc, go to the pharmacist and pay the goin rate! We're in there all the time these days and pay anything from $20 (£9 odd) to $40 (£18 odd) a hit!

I asked about a pre payment as I had one in the UK and they said you had to spend something like $500, and THEN you get a concession of something ridiculous like 10% off ...

As I say, god only know how anyone can afford to be ill here, and I haven't even mentioned a filling at a dentist! ...

Good with the bad tho, but medicine and dentistry are without a doubt a bad here!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Yeah do!

Thing is here there's no 'prescription charge' ... no £7 fixed, or whatever it was. You get your prescription from your doc, go to the pharmacist and pay the goin rate! We're in there all the time these days and pay anything from $20 (£9 odd) to $40 (£18 odd) a hit!

I asked about a pre payment as I had one in the UK and they said you had to spend something like $500, and THEN you get a concession of something ridiculous like 10% off ...

As I say, god only know how anyone can afford to be ill here, and I haven't even mentioned a filling at a dentist! ...

Good with the bad tho, but medicine and dentistry are without a doubt a bad here!
Absolutely, I guess you get what you pay for hey. My sister in law lives in Auckland and her 3 children (12, 2 and 1) are very often ill and all at the same time - yikes to those medical bills.

OH was talking about us having another baby, then we started talking about Australia, I think I've set my mind of having our second over there. I had Clara in Peterborough District Hospital, care was ok, but the paint peeling off the walls and a broken tens machine (plus the scare of the superbugs) doesn't inspire anyone with confidence here! No, I think I'll wait til we're over there, although I am wondering about being pregnant in the Perth heat?!

Dentist bills here are so expensive too - my maternity exemption covered my dentist bills, but I've got to go back for some work which is going to cost me £33 - just for an intensive clean! A check up is around £15 just for someone to look in your mouth - I was lucky to get a place in a dentist anyway I guess.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SW3105
Absolutely, I guess you get what you pay for hey. My sister in law lives in Auckland and her 3 children (12, 2 and 1) are very often ill and all at the same time - yikes to those medical bills.

OH was talking about us having another baby, then we started talking about Australia, I think I've set my mind of having our second over there. I had Clara in Peterborough District Hospital, care was ok, but the paint peeling off the walls and a broken tens machine (plus the scare of the superbugs) doesn't inspire anyone with confidence here! No, I think I'll wait til we're over there, although I am wondering about being pregnant in the Perth heat?!

Dentist bills here are so expensive too - my maternity exemption covered my dentist bills, but I've got to go back for some work which is going to cost me £33 - just for an intensive clean! A check up is around £15 just for someone to look in your mouth - I was lucky to get a place in a dentist anyway I guess.
Ahhh, just see Peterborough ... Orton Longueville (spellin ?!?!) ...

Well I've given a dentist here who was the husband of a friend (so cheap rates) $2,500 for a few fillings, a root canal, and not a lot else! ... trust me, it's FAR more expensive here! ... and when you take this into consideration, you'll see why the Aussies have terrible teeth ...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

net doctor was for person from scotland who's private gp does this on the side.

I was watching a programe on sky-on airport custom officers checking bags leaving from sydney for medicare drugs. Apparently they shipped ou to places like africa-coz they are cheep in aus.

You can get cheapo brand of paracetamol in sainsburys for 9p!!! Want me to post u some????
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

You can get cheapo brand of paracetamol in sainsburys for 9p!!! Want me to post u some????
That's the thing, there's NO cheapo here. 'Home brand' which is supposed to be the cheapo are still £1 easy for Paracetamol.

In the UK Paracetamol and Ibuprofen (cheapo's at Tesco / Sainsbury's etc) are the same price, but Ibuprofen here cost heaps more! ...

Don't even ask about Nurofen (altho technically Ibuprofen) ...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

blimey.....y r they expensive?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

how much do u pay 4 thyroxine?

perhaps we shouldnt moan too much about the NHS then-only that they pay us nurses crap wages!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:29 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Netdoctor

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.