The Thyroid Thread

Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:01 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by donna
My t3 4.6(2.8-6.8)
My free rt3 336(140-540)
My free t4 12.1(10-20)
All within range but on the thyroid site i was told it was not good when they did the calculations.Im soo confused.
Which t3 do you take again.
You should set up a consultantcy for this.
thx again donna
Your rT3 is waaaay too high.... And although you're in range I would say only just...

I take natural dessicated pig thyroid... It's pretty much the same as Armour thyroid... It has T4 in it but active T3, so I don't have to convert so much.
What did the thyroid site say about your results?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:03 pm

Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Originally Posted by funkydelia
Hmm nobody ever said that about the goitre before, I've had it for 12 years now!

Thanks for the link, just off for a read.
Sometimes it's impossible to fix completely, but my doc effectively treats goitre with T3 and natural thyroid and has great results. She has hashi's herself and knows what to do with it. My thyroid was swollen when I went to see her. Isn't now.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Your rT3 is waaaay too high.... And although you're in range I would say only just...

I take natural dessicated pig thyroid... It's pretty much the same as Armour thyroid... It has T4 in it but active T3, so I don't have to convert so much.
What did the thyroid site say about your results?
]Hi Donna!

I see where you're coming from, but the number 0.013 is a ratio, not a total if you get my drift.

To increase the ratio of T3 to RT3, one reduces the RT3, by using T3 only meds, how's that for a tongue twister?

in short, you have it right in that you need to reduce your RT3 by taking T3, this in turn, will increase the ratio of T3 to Rt3

Thats the reply i got when they calculated it for me.Im on the same as you NTH,3 grains,so what do i need to take in addition to get it down if im already on T3 which is in my NTH! Bugger this is complicated.
thx A
donna
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:22 am

]Hi Donna!

I see where you're coming from, but the number 0.013 is a ratio, not a total if you get my drift.

To increase the ratio of T3 to RT3, one reduces the RT3, by using T3 only meds, how's that for a tongue twister?

in short, you have it right in that you need to reduce your RT3 by taking T3, this in turn, will increase the ratio of T3 to Rt3

Thats the reply i got when they calculated it for me.Im on the same as you NTH,3 grains,so what do i need to take in addition to get it down if im already on T3 which is in my NTH! Bugger this is complicated.
thx A
donna
Ah, ok, yes... well I take two grains T3 in the morning and two grains in the afternoon... you might try adding one more in.

The thing is that the longer you take only T3 meds, then the better the ratio and your rT3 will go down .... It's a long term thing.
The longer you take it, the lower the rT3.

How long have you been on the meds and are you feeling better?

I swapped my meds to T3 two weeks before I ran the City to Surf, and yet it took a good few months... perhaps 6, to feel really really well again. My rT3 was huge... I haven't had it tested recently but should do... but then I just go on how I'm feeling rather than the tests.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Ah, ok, yes... well I take two grains T3 in the morning and two grains in the afternoon... you might try adding one more in.

The thing is that the longer you take only T3 meds, then the better the ratio and your rT3 will go down .... It's a long term thing.
The longer you take it, the lower the rT3.

How long have you been on the meds and are you feeling better?

I swapped my meds to T3 two weeks before I ran the City to Surf, and yet it took a good few months... perhaps 6, to feel really really well again. My rT3 was huge... I haven't had it tested recently but should do... but then I just go on how I'm feeling rather than the tests.
I've been on it for a year in june,worked up to 6 grains,but by default ended up on 3grains(kept forgeting second grain)fine for ages then,went downhill,upped it to 6grains and felt worse,hence on 3 again.Surely it should be down by now!:curse:
donna
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:35 pm

I've been on it for a year in june,worked up to 6 grains,but by default ended up on 3grains(kept forgeting second grain)fine for ages then,went downhill,upped it to 6grains and felt worse,hence on 3 again.Surely it should be down by now!:curse:
donna
Yes, it's taking its time. Perhaps it might be worth investigating a medication change? Or going back to your doc. When did you have your adrenals tested? Cortisol etc?

It may be worth addressing those before you do anything else.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it's taking its time. Perhaps it might be worth investigating a medication change? Or going back to your doc. When did you have your adrenals tested? Cortisol etc?

It may be worth addressing those before you do anything else.
Had adrenals done a few months ago and was relatively low mid morning,but not too bad,the DHEA test came back recently and that is much better which is apparently indicitive of my adrenals recovering.
donna
Oh and have tried throxine but it didnt make a shits worth of difference
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:07 pm

Had adrenals done a few months ago and was relatively low mid morning,but not too bad,the DHEA test came back recently and that is much better which is apparently indicitive of my adrenals recovering.
donna
Oh and have tried throxine but it didnt make a shits worth of difference
Well thyroxine is T4 only. Your body converts it to the T3 it needs. With natural thyroid you don't need to convert because it's active and there ready to go.
I was just thinking of different T3/Armour but sounds like you're on the right stuff.
My DHEA was very low too but improving after taking it.

Give it time honey... and perhaps split your dose now we're going into Winter... you'll need more. Two AM, two PM. See how that goes. Because the life of active T3 is relatively short, this is why you'd need to take it mid afternoon too... keep feeding the cells. They'll get it eventually.

x
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well thyroxine is T4 only. Your body converts it to the T3 it needs. With natural thyroid you don't need to convert because it's active and there ready to go.
I was just thinking of different T3/Armour but sounds like you're on the right stuff.
My DHEA was very low too but improving after taking it.

Give it time honey... and perhaps split your dose now we're going into Winter... you'll need more. Two AM, two PM. See how that goes. Because the life of active T3 is relatively short, this is why you'd need to take it mid afternoon too... keep feeding the cells. They'll get it eventually.

x
Thx for that ,
i think im gonna try having it later in the day,or maybe every other day take an xtra 3 grains.4 grains a day would be better but all my scripts are for 3grains unless i try and split the capsules.
thankyou ,i appreciate your input.
donna
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:14 pm

Thx for that ,
i think im gonna try having it later in the day,or maybe every other day take an xtra 3 grains.4 grains a day would be better but all my scripts are for 3grains unless i try and split the capsules.
thankyou ,i appreciate your input.
donna
Ug.... splitting caps is no fun... too difficult.

Perhaps ask doc to change your script so you have the ability to play with your dose a little as winter approaches.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are a lot of symptoms and other conditions than hashimoto's that are related to the thyroid, or does it go from one condition that causes another condition.
Like Raynaud's (cold condition), i always thought that was due to the thyroid condition but some say its a condition all of its own, so it gets quite confusing.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ausi dream
I think there are a lot of symptoms and other conditions than hashimoto's that are related to the thyroid, or does it go from one condition that causes another condition.
Like Raynaud's (cold condition), i always thought that was due to the thyroid condition but some say its a condition all of its own, so it gets quite confusing.
I'm not sure Ausi. I think many things get misdiagnosed. My BIL suffers from Raynaud's and yet also has depression on and off... I keep saying to them for him to get his thyroid tested, but they all probably roll their eyes about the mad thyroid sister in law.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

I always feel the cold-and bloody hate it!!!! All winter, I turn the heating up, my OH turns it down. Thats how we carry on all winter!!!

Cant wait to get to Aus-I will get my own back by turning the air con down-he will jsy have to turn it back up!!!!

Dunno what my T3 and T4's are like. I am due a blood test soon. My sister is a Bio-medical scientist in Bio-Chemistry-I will ask her for her input on this thread!!
TC
Cheryl
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by flossie22
I always feel the cold-and bloody hate it!!!! All winter, I turn the heating up, my OH turns it down. Thats how we carry on all winter!!!

Cant wait to get to Aus-I will get my own back by turning the air con down-he will jsy have to turn it back up!!!!

Dunno what my T3 and T4's are like. I am due a blood test soon. My sister is a Bio-medical scientist in Bio-Chemistry-I will ask her for her input on this thread!!
TC
Cheryl
If you're always cold, then your meds are not optimised.

You need to be symptom free.

Have you tried coconut oil to superheat you? It's a common thyroid thing, and you take 2 tablespoons of it per day, or more. I put some in my coffee, others cook with it, or make salad dressings with it... you can make coconut ice with it... it's solid at room temp so don't throw it onto refrigerated salad...
But the molecular structure of it means that it boosts metabolism and usually within half an hour of taking it, you get a huge heat 'hit'.
It's well worth it, and now touted as the best oil, healthier than olive.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Hey guys

Just sort of scanned through this thread. I went to have my bloods done last Friday because I have Polycystic Ovarian Disease and have to take a diabetic drug called metformin. Doctor called me today to tell me that the bloods show that I have underactive thyroid and need to pick up prescription tomorrow.
I've done a bit of googling for info. And now it seems to explain quite a lot such as:
I'm always cold
I'm overweight even though I don't over eat however I have no energy and can't be arsed to exercise (just thought I was fat through laziness)
My skin is very dry
I'm quite upset all the time
I get tingling/cramps/aches in my muscles

So I'll just have to wait to see what meds I'm going to get tomorrow.
I wanted to ask you lot what benefits have you seen and how long did it take to feel better

I can't believe I have to take more meds, I'll be rattling when I go for my medicals for Oz. This won't stop me getting in will it?

Cheers everyone

tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.