The Thyroid Thread

Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:43 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hey guys

Just sort of scanned through this thread. I went to have my bloods done last Friday because I have Polycystic Ovarian Disease and have to take a diabetic drug called metformin. Doctor called me today to tell me that the bloods show that I have underactive thyroid and need to pick up prescription tomorrow.
I've done a bit of googling for info. And now it seems to explain quite a lot such as:
I'm always cold
I'm overweight even though I don't over eat however I have no energy and can't be arsed to exercise (just thought I was fat through laziness)
My skin is very dry
I'm quite upset all the time
I get tingling/cramps/aches in my muscles

So I'll just have to wait to see what meds I'm going to get tomorrow.
I wanted to ask you lot what benefits have you seen and how long did it take to feel better

I can't believe I have to take more meds, I'll be rattling when I go for my medicals for Oz. This won't stop me getting in will it?

Cheers everyone

tracy
Hi Tracy... Welcome to the Club...

Firstly, no, it won't stop you getting in.

You'll probably be on thyroxine... a T4 only med if you've been treated by an NHS doctor.

Recovery differs with each person. I remember the first week I took it and I woke up one morning with no back ache.
I had lower back pain for years and just accepted it as 'one of those things'. HA!
I used to take 20 mins to warm up, stretching my muscles... absolute agony every morning and then with kids to look after... exhausting!
But after about 4 days of meds, I woke up that morning and it was gone. I cannot tell you how I felt. Bliss! Sheer bliss!

Yes, we all think we're fat and we eat badly when usually our diets are far better than your average person simply because we're paranoid about diet. Your weight will prob drop a few pounds in the first week or two... it's your body getting rid of the water you've accumulated.
You're not lazy ... you're just ill. But you will get it sorted in time.

In short, you should find yourself again.

It's a hideous illness. You become someone else and just eventually accept that this is you. Well it's not and it doesn't have to be!

It won't all go away immediately, and you'll need to adjust your meds occasionally... and you need to see a good Endocrinologist.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any help, let me know.

TP
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:37 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

You'll probably be on thyroxine... a T4 only med if you've been treated by an NHS doctor.

Recovery differs with each person. I remember the first week I took it and I woke up one morning with no back ache.
I had lower back pain for years and just accepted it as 'one of those things'. HA!
I used to take 20 mins to warm up, stretching my muscles... absolute agony every morning and then with kids to look after... exhausting!
But after about 4 days of meds, I woke up that morning and it was gone. I cannot tell you how I felt. Bliss! Sheer bliss!

Yes, we all think we're fat and we eat badly when usually our diets are far better than your average person simply because we're paranoid about diet. Your weight will prob drop a few pounds in the first week or two... it's your body getting rid of the water you've accumulated.

It's a hideous illness. You become someone else and just eventually accept that this is you. Well it's not and it doesn't have to be!

It won't all go away immediately, and you'll need to adjust your meds occasionally... and you need to see a good Endocrinologist.

TP
Great response TP and I agree with it all completely!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

TP
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I can't believe it, I've had lower back pain for years and I just think its a muscle tear that won't go away, could this be the thyroid thing aswell? Yippee, I hope so. I feel like i've been just a whinger for years but I always had a sneaky feeling there was something wrong with me but I couldn't figure out what it was. I also get really bad palpatations, dizziness and sweating and trembling. Thought it was just my insulin playing up cause of the PCOS, maybe this will stop now aswell. Can't wait to start taking my drugs tomorrow!!!!!
I'm off to TESCO to put my prescription in.
Thanks again Tiddlypom

Tracy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:47 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I can't believe it, I've had lower back pain for years and I just think its a muscle tear that won't go away, could this be the thyroid thing aswell? Yippee, I hope so. I feel like i've been just a whinger for years but I always had a sneaky feeling there was something wrong with me but I couldn't figure out what it was. I also get really bad palpatations, dizziness and sweating and trembling. Thought it was just my insulin playing up cause of the PCOS, maybe this will stop now aswell. Can't wait to start taking my drugs tomorrow!!!!!
I'm off to TESCO to put my prescription in.
Thanks again Tiddlypom

Tracy
You're so very welcome. I love hearing when people start getting better. For me it was such a wonderful thing. I got my life back and I know now what's possible.
I hope your lower back pain goes soon... it's a big thyroid symtom. I hear you on the palpatiations... I got so sick I couldn't even climb the stairs without experiencing that. The dizziness too... ugh! Absolutely horrid condition which creeps up on you so easily.

Good luck Tracy.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:51 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

You're so very welcome. I love hearing when people start getting better. For me it was such a wonderful thing. I got my life back and I know now what's possible.
I hope your lower back pain goes soon... it's a big thyroid symtom. I hear you on the palpatiations... I got so sick I couldn't even climb the stairs without experiencing that. The dizziness too... ugh! Absolutely horrid condition which creeps up on you so easily.

Good luck Tracy.
Jesus mate I've had this thyroid prob for years now and always put my palpitations down to anxiety! Trying to walk up a hill for me is an absolute killer. I try to explain to people that its not that I'm unfit, its different...but I cant explain it myself so how do I expect anyone else to understand it?!!! I get palps and my throat closes up with any sort of real exertion! Roll on my visit to Ludka next month!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I try to explain to people that its not that I'm unfit, its different...but I cant explain it myself so how do I expect anyone else to understand it?!!!
God how I sympathise (or is it empathise?). At my worst, before I was diagnosed, it took me all my effort to get up one step into the loo. I don't think I'm anywhere near as bad as some of you ladies but it was amazing how soon I started feeling better when I got on my meds (all natural, as probably mentioned above) and took control of my diet.

I won't be running marathons but it was a great feeling when I did a 12k walk in 30C+ and my runner husband and gymnast/dancer friend, respectively 10 and 16 years younger, were in a worse state than me.

All the best, tasmas.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Jesus mate I've had this thyroid prob for years now and always put my palpitations down to anxiety! Trying to walk up a hill for me is an absolute killer. I try to explain to people that its not that I'm unfit, its different...but I cant explain it myself so how do I expect anyone else to understand it?!!! I get palps and my throat closes up with any sort of real exertion! Roll on my visit to Ludka next month!
Yup, well I hope your visit helps. The palpatations were horrible. I don't get them any more.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thank to everyone for replying

I've started 50mcg of levothyroxine daily. Lets hoping it improves my health and well being. I kinda feel better already, I suppose thats cause I've had confirmation that i'm not a whinging lazy bitch!!!! I want to be able to get out and about without my body aching.
I'll post again in a week, to keep everyone updated.
It would be nice to see this thread bumped every now and again.

Thanks again guys, nice to know I'm not alone.

tracy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:55 pm

Good luck Tracy - hope the next few weeks start to show some improvement for you

This thread tends to get bumped pretty regularly - been going since Feb and we get newcomers to it all the time. Just goes to show how common this bloody disease is.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:08 pm

Hi, thank to everyone for replying

I've started 50mcg of levothyroxine daily. Lets hoping it improves my health and well being. I kinda feel better already, I suppose thats cause I've had confirmation that i'm not a whinging lazy bitch!!!! I want to be able to get out and about without my body aching.
I'll post again in a week, to keep everyone updated.
It would be nice to see this thread bumped every now and again.

Thanks again guys, nice to know I'm not alone.

tracy
That's great news Tracy. I bet you'll notice a difference in a few days.

You'll find that you level out and your symptoms return a bit, and then you increase your meds again by 25mcg ... very slowly over a few months... then you'll find your optimum level when all your symptoms are gone.

Good luck with it.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The thread that won't give up My turn to ask for advice/knowledge sharing. Sorry it's so long-winded

A new continent, a new doctor, a new school of thought. Bit of background (probably mentioned a few pages back):

Had a total hyst ten years ago, at 35, due to severe endo. Went straight on to conventional HRT, bones degenerated very quickly and 3 years ago I crossed the threshold into officially having Osteoporosis.

2-3 years ago, changed doctors to one with a more natural approach, who said I wasn't getting the hormones I needed and changed me to Bioidentical HRT, plus did what I thought was a full set of Thyroid tests and judged me to have an underactive thyroid due to my Thyroglobulin Antibody results and my symptoms. Put me briefly on the pig thyroid and then just on herbal supplements, which have slowly but steadily brought the result back towards the norm. I've felt a lot better in the last couple of years than I had for quite a few previously (although not so good for the last couple of months but put it down to the move).

Latest Bone Mass Density tests worried Singapore GP, who said I'm obviously not absorbing the high levels of calcium I take. (Also weight training 3* a week doing not showing positive results.) We doubled the calcium and the HRT.

So - now in Sydney. New GP also very worried by bones, says I'm obviously not absorbing the calcium OR the BHRT, and has put me back on conventional HRT - I'm not very happy about that as I don't like drugs but agreed to try it for a month and have some bloods done, including a Thyroid test I hadn't previously had.

Results: Low in testosterone (need it for my bones) and my Parathyroid Hormone level is twice what it should be; I have HYPERparathydoidism. I have a lot of reading to do tonight but I do know it affects calcium levels and can contribute to osteoporosis.

So - double whammy I've got to see an endocrinologist, but I've been warned it could lead to surgery.

Just wondered if anybody else had experience of this particular issue?

TIA
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:11 pm

Sorry to hear you're having troubles

I actually suffer with HYPOparathyroidism so cant help you - but if you havent already found this site - then this Health Board forum is great:

I've linked directly to a HYPERparathyroid thread - hope its of use

Before choosing your Endo (which you can do here in Oz) make a few phone calls to see if they prescribe T3 meds or Armour - many of them dont as I'm sure you're aware. Those who do are probably more open to listen to your wows (well thats my opinion anyway).

I've just moved to a really nice Endo but hes a bit far out for you as hes in Penrith. I'm also heading to see a GP in the city next month who comes very highly recommended - Dr Ludka Berkowski - worth checking her out thats for sure.

Good luck

Rach
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Thanks Rach - I've got a referral for a Dr Thomas Cromer in Macquarie Street so I'll see how he goes.

I've only briefly read a couple of sites so far but as usual scared the bejaysus out of myself Even the natural guru Dr Weil says surgery is usually the answer. I was also a bit confused as I didn't realise the parathyroid is not related to the thyroid at all, just happens to be near it.

I'm sure I've come across Dr Ludka on my googling around.

I'll take a look at that link - cheers.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
Thanks Rach - I've got a referral for a Dr Thomas Cromer in Macquarie Street so I'll see how he goes.

I've only briefly read a couple of sites so far but as usual scared the bejaysus out of myself Even the natural guru Dr Weil says surgery is usually the answer. I was also a bit confused as I didn't realise the parathyroid is not related to the thyroid at all, just happens to be near it.

I'm sure I've come across Dr Ludka on my googling around.

I'll take a look at that link - cheers.
Yep the parathyroids are just attached to the thyroids - not linked at all in their function, but sadly tend to get caught up in the whole 'thyroid' disease saga in one way or another. When I had my thyroid removed they found that one of my parathyroids was swollen, so removed it. The remainder then went into shock (which is very common after surgery, and you dont need all four) but slowly came back to life. Unfortunately now it seems they've changed their minds so I'm back on Rocaltrol. They're working, just not as efficiently as they should be. If you do have to have surgery, its nothing to be scared of honestly. What it would mean obviously is that you'd be on calcium for life, but it seems you're already taking that so thats no biggy.

Vit D and Magnesium play a large part in the absorption of calcium too, but I'm sure you already know that - and I'd assume they're already checking those levels too

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jul 20th 2008 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
The thread that won't give up My turn to ask for advice/knowledge sharing. Sorry it's so long-winded

I would go and see my doc. You're in Sydney... she's an expert and I think you need expert help. Rach mentioned her name. Just google for her details in Chatswood.

I was also low in testosterone and that really affected my bone density. I had a test to see how it was recently and it's increased. The good thing about it is that it also increases muscle density too, so you start to burn fat more efficiently and the testosterone boost helps you get more drive and energy.
Please consider seeing Ludka. She's considered an expert and people fly in from all over Aus to see her. She's treated me for the low testosterone and DHEA etc.
She would also support your desire to do things more naturally too.

The about.com thyroid board is a place where you'll find some experts hanging out too:
Check out the list on here. Try the UK board listed at the bottom. I know several expert patients who will be able to give you some advice there.

http://thyroid.about.com/mpboards.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.