Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:19 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Still a pretty good reading - I might pass it on and see what they reckon, I think any data is useful, so thanks for that.
Is there any scientific reason all recent storms seem to be attracted to Gympie? I'm staying put here as all recent storms have chosen to go round us.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Is there any scientific reason all recent storms seem to be attracted to Gympie? I'm staying put here as all recent storms have chosen to go round us.
Bit like here, whichever direction they are coming from they seem to split and go either side of us. As for why Gympie.....God having fun with Sean? Don't know why, really, just below the more tropical regions perhaps where the sea cools a bit, not sure. If I get the chance I'll ask. Hasn't come off too badly so far this time (fingers crossed) the coastal areas, especially Fraser, are getting it the worst.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD10610.shtml

Thats the other one to keep your eye on, you'll see its in the Northern territory section of BOM as opposed to the Qld part. Path unknown as yet till it becomes more established, but it MIGHT head towards the Cape, MIGHT come down across Queensland, MIGHT go down the coast. All conjecture and models at present but worth watching.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

For those of you interested - latest satellite pic - you'll see the one in Arnhem land is still really confused, but it anything the one off Fraser is becoming a more defined "swirl" - more like a cyclonic pattern.
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-1330-utc-30-12-07.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:29 pm

For those of you interested - latest satellite pic - you'll see the one in Arnhem land is still really confused, but it anything the one off Fraser is becoming a more defined "swirl" - more like a cyclonic pattern.
A very nice swirl in deed, Bobbie and Linda back in Brisbane so they are fine if it moves on down.

Gold Coast beaches looked more like sand dunes on news this morning.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
You can if they except hand held Kestrel readings. Though bear in mind we're over 300m above sea level on an exposed ridge [well we are now the trees have blown down]
What - if the Kestrel can take off it's not too windy but if it stays on your arm and says "fark that, I'm not flying in this" then it's a strong wind?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:25 pm

Question Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by 232Bar
What - if the Kestrel can take off it's not too windy but if it stays on your arm and says "fark that, I'm not flying in this" then it's a strong wind?
Still a pretty good reading - I might pass it on and see what they reckon, I think any data is useful, so thanks for that.
Originally Posted by cresta57
You can if they except hand held Kestrel readings. Though bear in mind we're over 300m above sea level on an exposed ridge [well we are now the trees have blown down]
The Anal held readings often work the best, if flying debris and falling trees etc. cause you to lose your hold and empty the meter it's time to evacuate the area (which by then won't smell the most pleasant either). Not sure how the SES will record that though, will it be the quantity dumped or the length of the trail as you ran away as fast as you could???
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:39 am
Just Joined

markluton will become famous soon enough

While I feel real sorry for the guys in southern Queensland, its sucked the bad weather from the north so Townsville is just gorgeous today. Stay safev guys.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by markluton.com
While I feel real sorry for the guys in southern Queensland, its sucked the bad weather from the north so Townsville is just gorgeous today. Stay safev guys.
Bit blustery at present but not too bad.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:05 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Cooooool
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by markluton.com
You may well be in line for the next lot if that low from Arnhemland comes across the Cape and then down the coast (as predicted by some of the models)...........
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:53 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

You may well be in line for the next lot if that low from Arnhemland comes across the Cape and then down the coast (as predicted by some of the models)...........
Lawks, Lara Bingle's not having a go at forecasting is she?

"We've tied down the chooks, now cyclone, where the bloody hell are ya?"
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:49 pm

Typical it's done nothing but rain all holidays just like bl@@dy Britain.

How's that low of QLD going is it going to go away or build?

I need to know if it's worth taking RDO's on the 11th or 12th or if I'm just going to get more rain rain rain...
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:23 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by annqldau
Typical it's done nothing but rain all holidays just like bl@@dy Britain.

How's that low of QLD going is it going to go away or build?

I need to know if it's worth taking RDO's on the 11th or 12th or if I'm just going to get more rain rain rain...
I'd say theres a fair chance of rain.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:32 pm

I'd say theres a fair chance of rain.
God, will have to move to Perth at this rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.