Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Wikiposts

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:12 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by annqldau
Spa may be best while drought in full force.
We are on tankwater so I guess it has no effect on the drought as long as we can survive on what we gather?

I like swimming and all that but it seems like more bleeding maintenance around the place to me.

<grumpy git off>
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Drove (or tried too) through Deception Bay this arvo!

Trees down everywhere, half the roads closed - they really took a battering last night!

Never ceases to amaze me, DB is about 2 KM's from us and no damage at all here!
Deception Bay, and a lot of Pine Rivers Shire took a real pasting last night, Number of call-outs for the SES around there into three figures, lots of hail damage to roof areas, which apparently is worse than tree damage as you have to tarp the whole roof rather than just an area of it. I was talking to people at work living less than 2 miles from us who had roof and car damage, we didn't even get hail.

Major storms predicted in the Brisbane area for the next few nights so be on your guard guys. If you need to call the SES its 132500 throughout Queensland.

(to the uninitiated, sorry, "tarp the roof" means put a tarpaulin over it and secure it)
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Last two summers have been tame. I remember about 4 years ago with got some "old testament" style storms.
2003 we were living at Tin Can Bay every afternoon of the summer it seemed to piss down at 3.15 just when we had to pick the boy up from school. The Storms that summer were spectacular
One storm produced hail the size of cricket balls, the Gympie times published a photo on the front page that I sent back to the U.K none of the rellies believed it was real. The hail from that one storm caused a few million in damage to property.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
2003 we were living at Tin Can Bay every afternoon of the summer it seemed to piss down at 3.15 just when we had to pick the boy up from school. The Storms that summer were spectacular
One storm produced hail the size of cricket balls, the Gympie times published a photo on the front page that I sent back to the U.K none of the rellies believed it was real. The hail from that one storm caused a few million in damage to property.
Yep, thats when I arrived too. We had storms 4pm each day ....except the day we got married...what sort of omen is that I wonder!

See the radar is a bit orange up your way right now?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:26 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Drove (or tried too) through Deception Bay this arvo!

Trees down everywhere, half the roads closed - they really took a battering last night!

Never ceases to amaze me, DB is about 2 KM's from us and no damage at all here!
That would be caused by the ferrals not the storms...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:28 pm

Our first summer had impressive hail...
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-img_2233.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:31 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember the storms coming in at the exact time I got off the train in Strathpine. Got soaked a few times that way

Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:35 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
That would be caused by the ferrals not the storms...
Yeah, I noticed how 'smooth' an area it appeared!!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:36 am

Yeah, I noticed how 'smooth' an area it appeared!!
LOL... we did rent there for first 6 months so are allowed to make disparaging comments. Actually the estate we were on was quite quiet and no problems think it's mainly down behind Woolies that is still the dodgey area now.

Well seems like it will be a rain free morning with afternoon return of storms.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:51 pm
Home and Happy

Anyone in Queensland not already watching the radar - there are major storm cells cropping up over much of the State. They are growing very quickly and moving very quickly. Situation not expected to change over the next few hours so be prepared for stuff to move in very fast.

Possibility of large hailstone, heavy rain, strong winds, very strong gusts, outside possibility of tornadoes.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:54 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone in Queensland not already watching the radar - there are major storm cells cropping up over much of the State. They are growing very quickly and moving very quickly. Situation not expected to change over the next few hours so be prepared for stuff to move in very fast.

Possibility of large hailstone, heavy rain, strong winds, very strong gusts, outside possibility of tornadoes.
looks like clearing the garage of boxes for the car then
thanks polly
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:57 pm
Home and Happy

CURRENT WARNINGS -

Issued at 2:38 PM Friday, 12 October 2007.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Dalby, Maroochydore, Gympie, Emerald, Clermont and Charters Towers.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:45 PM, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Moogerah, Cunninghams Gap, Dalveen and Oakington. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. They are forecast to affect Boonah, the area between Boonah and Beaudesert and Leyburn by 3:15 PM and Stanthorpe, Beaudesert and Tamborine by 3:45 PM.
---------------------------------------------
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.

Other thunderstorms are developing in the warning area and some of these may become severe.

Current radar pic 128km around Brisbane
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-12.10.07-2-.gif  
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:00 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Lots of red and black on there Polly

We even had a few storms down here this morning - but not of that magnitude !

Good luck

Jim
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:25 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Tornadoes? I'll warn the chooks, it'll put 'em off the lay I'll wager.

It's feeling very ominous out in the sticks ... I think I'll have a dump now before we lose the water pump ...
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:53 pm
Home and Happy

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:25 PM, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Coolangatta, Beaudesert and Oakington. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Boonah, Beenleigh and Logan City by 4:55 PM and Rathdowney, Laravale and northern parts of North Stradbroke Island by 5:25 PM.

Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.

Other thunderstorms are developing in the warning area and some of these may become severe.

A 93 km/h wind gust was recorded at Cape Moreton just after 3 pm.

Hope you finished your dump, Mr Fuego......

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Gold Coast, Maroochydore, Gympie, Bundaberg and Charters Towers.

There goes Cresta's fridge door again......

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 11th 2007 at 6:56 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.