Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:51 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
According to the way that was worded, there is also no risk of power failure in a Cat 5
No risk at all it would have already failed way before a cat 5
Ours was out for 5 hrs last night & again this morning for a couple of hours. Credit to those Energex blokes though they fixed it up in lousy conditions, I wouldn't send a dog out in this.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
In the event of a Cat 5 I think even our local bottle shop would close ... maybe ... there'd be trouble though ...
I would hope that you would have stocked up during the cat 2 or 3 stage though so wouldn't need to go out during a cat 5
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:52 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I would hope that you would have stocked up during the cat 2 or 3 stage though so wouldn't need to go out during a cat 5
Rest assured, the Bar Fridge Emergency Plan would be in full effect.

Still pretty damp out there ... it's great watching people go on a stabbing spree with their umbrellas
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:02 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Rest assured, the Bar Fridge Emergency Plan would be in full effect.

Still pretty damp out there ... it's great watching people go on a stabbing spree with their umbrellas
If you freeze your blocks in preparation for the storm you could then decant to the eskie at the necessary point and save the world.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:42 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
If you freeze your blocks in preparation for the storm you could then decant to the eskie at the necessary point and save the world.
Nice idea, but I've not intention of freezing my b'locks ... even if it does save the world
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:01 pm

Nice idea, but I've not intention of freezing my b'locks ... even if it does save the world
You'll die without beer then...
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:24 am

Think Cresta and his Conscience are giving last night and this mornings battering a .999 recurring as it was a tad to close to a 1 apparently, not sure if he's up and running again yet as he was without electric.

Wonder if all that rain there though helps give Peter more ammunition to prove his point about the Taverston Dam???

Originally Posted by cresta57
No risk at all it would have already failed way before a cat 5
Ours was out for 5 hrs last night & again this morning for a couple of hours. Credit to those Energex blokes though they fixed it up in lousy conditions, I wouldn't send a dog out in this.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Didn't have time to look this one up earlier, but here you go -

CATEGORY 1
Negligible house damage. Damage to some crops, trees and caravans. Craft may drag moorings.
A Category 1 cyclone's stongest winds are GALES with gusts to 125 km/h.
CATEGORY 2
Minor house damage. Significant damage to signs, trees and caravans. Heavy damage to some crops. Risk of power failure. Small craft may break moorings.
A Category 2 cyclone's strongest winds are DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 125 -170 km/h.
CATEGORY 3
Some roof and structural damage. Some caravans destroyed. Power failures likely.
A Category 3 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 170 - 225 km/h.
CATEGORY 4
Significant roofing loss and structural damage. Many caravans destroyed and blown away. Dangerous airborne debris. Widespread power failures.
A Category 4 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of 225 - 280 km/h.
CATEGORY 5
Extremely dangerous with widespread destruction.
A Category 5 cyclone's strongest winds are VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts of more than 280 km/h.

More info here -
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cyclone/windstr.shtml
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:33 am

No probs!!
Ok Polly what's the latest crack...

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Dangerous Surf
For people in the Southeast Coast district and Fraser Island.
Issued at 9:30 pm on Friday 24 August 2007

Synoptic Situation: A complex low pressure system is deepening to the east of
Fraser Island.

Is this a case of it's not over till it's over... is there more to come, thought it was supposed to be sunny tomorrow.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Polly what's the latest crack...

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Dangerous Surf
For people in the Southeast Coast district and Fraser Island.
Issued at 9:30 pm on Friday 24 August 2007

Synoptic Situation: A complex low pressure system is deepening to the east of
Fraser Island.

Is this a case of it's not over till it's over... is there more to come, thought it was supposed to be sunny tomorrow.
All Cresta's fault - last week he told my sister "It ALWAYS rains muster week"........

Latest reports? Strong winds just off the coast whipping up the surf, not expected at present to come on land, but this storm has thrown some curved balls like the supercell in Hervey Bay at lunchtime that produced a lot of damage in a short time.
Main thing we are looking out for is the flood levels - tarping and sandbagging going on in huge amounts around Tewnatin and Noosa, bags and tarps have been sourced from other States and being shipped up overnight, and they expect levels to rise through tomorrow as the water comes down stream in the major river systems. Gympie is heading to break its 1974 flood level records soon, and the Mary River is still rising.

As I posted on another thread there is also a danger of trees falling though they look safe cos of roots weakened by the drought, so the SES are removing standing trees in places as well as fallen ones.

I've been called in to work tomorrow so if anything starts looking serious I'll try and get online and post.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if all that rain there though helps give Peter more ammunition to prove his point about the Taverston Dam???
Didn't take long

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/25/2014946.htm
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:09 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that quote We get rain unequaled since 1974 and they reckon a dam would be a good investment. Hey ho if one fill every 33 yrs or thrice a century is a good way to spend billions in tax payers dollars it must be sound reasoning
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:25 am

I love that quote We get rain unequaled since 1974 and they reckon a dam would be a good investment. Hey ho if one fill every 33 yrs or thrice a century is a good way to spend billions in tax payers dollars it must be sound reasoning
Well the fact that it would be full made the front of the courier mail.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:52 pm

There's supposed to be more on the way and it may equal that that was dumped last month the prophecies so far predict. Think Thur is supposed to be the worst... lovely wedding weather...
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:01 pm

Why doesn't the 128 km Gympie (Mt Kanigan) Radar Loop radar show anything it's blank, I wanted to see if Cresta was getting wet?

All Cresta's fault - last week he told my sister "It ALWAYS rains muster week"........

Latest reports? Strong winds just off the coast whipping up the surf, not expected at present to come on land, but this storm has thrown some curved balls like the supercell in Hervey Bay at lunchtime that produced a lot of damage in a short time.
Main thing we are looking out for is the flood levels - tarping and sandbagging going on in huge amounts around Tewnatin and Noosa, bags and tarps have been sourced from other States and being shipped up overnight, and they expect levels to rise through tomorrow as the water comes down stream in the major river systems. Gympie is heading to break its 1974 flood level records soon, and the Mary River is still rising.

As I posted on another thread there is also a danger of trees falling though they look safe cos of roots weakened by the drought, so the SES are removing standing trees in places as well as fallen ones.

I've been called in to work tomorrow so if anything starts looking serious I'll try and get online and post.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:00 pm

Why doesn't the 128 km Gympie (Mt Kanigan) Radar Loop radar show anything it's blank, I wanted to see if Cresta was getting wet?
Absolutely f-ing soaked:curse: The radar closed down about two months ago for a 6 week repair & renovation project it may be back on in a couple of yrs........you know how laid back these Qlanders are no worries she'll be right mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.