Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I can confirm the cloud is up there, right now, it's been piddling down this morning already, big rumbles of thunder ... odd time for it to build but any rain welcome around here
They were expecting it to be quieter today but there do seem to be some cells lurking out there. Best keep an eye on the BoM site just in case as some of the cells can turn nasty very quick.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Can remember one of the best thunderstorms I ever saw was in Beaudesert about 20 years ago - ball lightning and all. Hope you guys stay safe!

Pollyanna - my sympathies about having the Aussie husband who wont go to UK, I've got one of them too!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

From yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-hail.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:48 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They were expecting it to be quieter today but there do seem to be some cells lurking out there. Best keep an eye on the BoM site just in case as some of the cells can turn nasty very quick.
Just been confident enough to switch the PC back on

Mildly surprised we still have power after that actually ... I've been to the bog as a pre-emptive measure (no generator to run the water pump ... hmmm, a thought for the future ...)

Still raining (good!) but the last batch of wild and wooly (including some fair hail) has passed, still some cracking claps of thunder going on though.

The 2nd car is half in the garage, at least the windscreen and bonnet will survive. May do some rearranging in there and give serious thought to fixing the 2nd roller door that is stuck ...

Still, don't have to go to work for another week, whooopieeee!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by quoll
Can remember one of the best thunderstorms I ever saw was in Beaudesert about 20 years ago - ball lightning and all. Hope you guys stay safe!

Pollyanna - my sympathies about having the Aussie husband who wont go to UK, I've got one of them too!
We do get some crackers down here but apparently the last couple of years have been relatively quiet

The ramshackle chicken coop is still up so it can't be that bad!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Our place was OK, just hail everywhere and a dirty pool

I just missed it on my way from work, but greenwoods was full of mist and ice, not the the best driving conditions.

Originally Posted by gillysm
Is your house & everything ok? I got caught in it trying to get back from tennis in Joyner - couldn't see a thing and there were cars all over the road. My cars buggered but house ok (although the pool is full of mulch). A friend in Greenwoods came home to find a foot of water in her kitchen.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:06 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Last two summers have been tame. I remember about 4 years ago with got some "old testament" style storms.

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hi, hows things with you?

Normally spread over a week or so and in 2 years I've never seen 'this is a dangerous Thunderstorm' tagged on to the map.

Think we must have to worry when it says 'Oh! Shit'.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
Last two summers have been tame. I remember about 4 years ago with got some "old testament" style storms.
Biblical weather ... gotta love this country ... droughts and flooding rains ...

Ask me again when I'm cleaning-up later today though
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Yeah we had some massive storms the year we moved year (2000), had waterfalls of rain hitting the house from the higher block next door and the road turned into a massive torrent. We had hail the size of tennis balls and had to had a new roof. I was kinda hoping that might happen last night as I quite fancy a new colour roof but it was only enough to dent the car. Lol
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Biblical weather ... gotta love this country ... droughts and flooding rains ...

Ask me again when I'm cleaning-up later today though
I just went out to try and clean my pool, emptied the skimmer box, went to put the barracuda back in and the damn pipe split. Its only 2 years old! Now I'll have to get a new one before I can even get started - don't suggest I do it with the vacuum - its doing the thunder and lightening thing again. Guess I'll have to get a blower vac too unless I want to spend the rest of my days clearing up the leaves in the yard (all my plants got stripped!) Gotta love this place. (Dreaming of green meadows and gently spitting rain). Lol
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by gillysm
I just went out to try and clean my pool, emptied the skimmer box, went to put the barracuda back in and the damn pipe split. Its only 2 years old! Now I'll have to get a new one before I can even get started - don't suggest I do it with the vacuum - its doing the thunder and lightening thing again. Guess I'll have to get a blower vac too unless I want to spend the rest of my days clearing up the leaves in the yard (all my plants got stripped!) Gotta love this place. (Dreaming of green meadows and gently spitting rain). Lol
Bummer, we are pool-free down here (well, man-made pools anyway) but it's on the list for the future. The maintenance costs put me off a bit but I can see the advantages especially as our young 'un just loves swimming.

For now I'll just have to content myself with the puddles.

Looks like it's gone quiet for a bit so that'll give me a chance to rearrange the cars, check on the dawg and do a damage recce of the yards.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:33 pm

Don't really have many, the power would be the biggest, but we wired it to the off peak supply.

The maintenance costs put me off a bit
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:04 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Appear to be heading to Gympie at this present moment Cresta may need to batten down if they are like the last few days.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:08 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Bummer, we are pool-free down here (well, man-made pools anyway) but it's on the list for the future. The maintenance costs put me off a bit but I can see the advantages especially as our young 'un just loves swimming.

For now I'll just have to content myself with the puddles.

Looks like it's gone quiet for a bit so that'll give me a chance to rearrange the cars, check on the dawg and do a damage recce of the yards.
Don't really have many, the power would be the biggest, but we wired it to the off peak supply.
Spa may be best while drought in full force.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:12 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Drove (or tried too) through Deception Bay this arvo!

Trees down everywhere, half the roads closed - they really took a battering last night!

Never ceases to amaze me, DB is about 2 KM's from us and no damage at all here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.