Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Wikiposts

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's being tipped to be the biggest drought breaker in 30yrs but then hedging their bets it may not hit at all...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...006786,00.html
I read that in the Sunday mail and got all excited, and then read all the weather websites, who basically say they don't have a clue where Odette is heading. Each computer model predicts something different. It all depends on whether a butterfly flaps it wings somewhere just south of Cairns.

If what the Sunday Mail said could happen, actually happened, I'm pretty sure we'd be flooded.

I'm hoping it just clips us for a day or two, fills the dams up to 50% and then goes away. I am of course biased cos we haven't got our storm water pump fitted yet, and I don't really want to be flooded.

JTL
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:33 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

IT'S NOT COMING...they have listened to Polly and said on the radio no longer expected to dump all that rain...don't think they really have a clue where anything is heading Jack till it gets there like UK weather forcast although I find them slightly better at it here.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was heading for the coast, but stalled offshore. Latest is that after circling for a couple of days its decided to rewrite the computer predictions and is staying away. Heavy swells expected right down the coast, but keep your fingers crossed and it won't come ashore. (Relief all round for Biggy and others up that way!)
Surprises a lot of people that a cyclone doesn't necessarily bring heavy rain - if it crosses fast like Larry did, then there may not be much rain actually inside it. Monica had far more rain in her, and there were a lot of small systems around at the time bringing heavy rain, but Larry itself was much more wind than rain.
Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I read that in the Sunday mail and got all excited, and then read all the weather websites, who basically say they don't have a clue where Odette is heading. Each computer model predicts something different. It all depends on whether a butterfly flaps it wings somewhere just south of Cairns.

If what the Sunday Mail said could happen, actually happened, I'm pretty sure we'd be flooded.

I'm hoping it just clips us for a day or two, fills the dams up to 50% and then goes away. I am of course biased cos we haven't got our storm water pump fitted yet, and I don't really want to be flooded.

JTL
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Each computer model predicts something different. It all depends on whether a butterfly flaps it wings somewhere just south of Cairns. JTL
Like all your cups Jack...

Can't believe they are going to level 5 but then saying people can water their gardens 3 times a week at night, what do they want drinking water or not...:curse: :curse: :curse:
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:24 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe they are going to level 5 but then saying people can water their gardens 3 times a week at night, what do they want drinking water or not...:curse: :curse: :curse:
no butterflys flapping around here this weekend, its been too wet. all its done is rain. weve had some pretty good rainfall in the last couple of days. the local dam (copperlode) was 400mm above the spillway when i was up there last week.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:11 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

It was foggy here the other morning!
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-07.04.07-fog-001.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And they do it - they are all out round here late at night, hosepipes and all.
Up at Woop Woop the gardens all get watered by hose every night. They don't have the same severe restictions up there, but the place is drier than here - I can't believe people don't even seem to THINK before washing cars and watering gardens. And WHY are automatic car washes still running?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
no butterflys flapping around here this weekend, its been too wet. all its done is rain. weve had some pretty good rainfall in the last couple of days. the local dam (copperlode) was 400mm above the spillway when i was up there last week.
By the time Potty Pete has finished his pipeline you'll all be on level 5 up there as well, 400mm over the spillway or not, he's going to steal all the water for Brisbane eventually. Still as long as the grass is green and the pools are full...............
He couldn't even send a minister to meet with the world renown recycled water expert Professor Uri Shani [head of Israel's Water Authority]recently. With Brisbane & the rest of SE QLD desperately seeking a solution to their impending water crisis I'd have thought he'd be welcoming a visit from a bloke that has triumphed over the recent Israeli water crisis. Maybe he's pinning his hopes instead on a dam that won't even be holding water by the time Brisbane has run out
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:53 am

And they do it - they are all out round here late at night, hosepipes and all.
Up at Woop Woop the gardens all get watered by hose every night. They don't have the same severe restictions up there, but the place is drier than here - I can't believe people don't even seem to THINK before washing cars and watering gardens. And WHY are automatic car washes still running?
Is it not like the speed limit if they aren't told what to do they won't do it? You can get dry car washes now that don't even need water.
Old May 7th 2007, 3:32 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

It's bloody cold in this house this morning!

It's warmer outside!
Old May 7th 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
It's bloody cold in this house this morning!

It's warmer outside!
Unseasonable warm even for QLD at the moment ranging between 27 and 32 but did rain last night.

Haven't had to get the thermals out yet.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Tropical Cyclone Pierre

I'm hoping that if I don't give Pierre more than a passing mention then he will just fizzle out and turn away, but at present there is a chance that he might get the north Queensland coast, probably over the Cape, but as the track is been tending to bend south-west rather than due west during the day he may end up a bit nearer Cairns than originally hoped. Initial thoughts were that he would hit PNG and burn out there, now seems more likely he will continue over open sea to the coast of Qld.
More info when I get it, so watch this space. Very late for a cyclone, the BOM had stopped their regular reports for the season, as had the guys at work, but all of a sudden there he is, predicted Cat 2 at least, possibly building from that.......
Attached Thumbnails The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!-tc-pierre.gif  
Old May 17th 2007, 10:48 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Drought, what drought???????????????? Can't be one round here cos people are allowed to PINCH water :curse: :curse:

My hubby works out at Oxley and for the past few weeks they have noticed a water tanker (privately owned) pulling up every day and filling up from the fire hydrant Enquiries were made and NO the chap in question did not have permission to do so. What next? Quick phone call to local council, a week later chap is still nicking water.

Plan B with some sneaking about and 007 type tactics photos were gained of said man and number plate of tanker. More phone calls and confirmation that again NO he didn't have permission to use the hydrant.

Letters written and photos sent to local and state departments. Phone calls made to Ipswich News, Courier Mail, channel nine and local radio. Surely something will be done now In the meantime it was verified that the driver of the tanker was selling the water at building sites for use mixing concrete etc. (don't forget it's not his bloody water to sell:curse: )

The outcome of all this........................NOT A DAMN THING HAS BEEN DONE.
Why? because he is selling the (stolen) water where big developments are going on and NOBODY is prepared to upset the developers.

The question is who is paying for this? Us with higher water rates and severe restrictions:curse:

OK rant over but as for a drought....................WHERE???????????

Loz x
Old May 17th 2007, 11:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Not a rant at all - merely an indication of the way that behaviour which is universally condemned in most developed countries is tolerated here. The level of general flouting of the rules is breathtaking: it's the "Australian Way". But woe betide the tall poppy who gets in the way of some trivial nanny-state edict........
Old May 17th 2007, 6:24 pm

Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Pierre

I'm hoping that if I don't give Pierre more than a passing mention then he will just fizzle out and turn away, but at present there is a chance that he might get the north Queensland coast, probably over the Cape, but as the track is been tending to bend south-west rather than due west during the day he may end up a bit nearer Cairns than originally hoped. Initial thoughts were that he would hit PNG and burn out there, now seems more likely he will continue over open sea to the coast of Qld.
More info when I get it, so watch this space. Very late for a cyclone, the BOM had stopped their regular reports for the season, as had the guys at work, but all of a sudden there he is, predicted Cat 2 at least, possibly building from that.......
So can you not re-direct it further down then to Brisbane?
Old May 26th 2007, 1:22 pm

Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Pierre

Raining higher up but as usual going to miss Brisbane so suppose the North Pine dam will stay shut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.