Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Wikiposts

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by annqldau
See it seems to be behaving itself at present and the wind has dropped a little for now.

Is it going to go away without much hassle or is it still expected to intensify?
Current predictions have the low stationary of Fraser, should turn and go back o the northwest, but we'll keep the winds for a while yet all the way down the coast. Ot was blowing a gale here earlier too and has died down a bit now. One model then has it joining with another system and possibly heading south again next week....but thats very much conjecture at present. I'll keep you posted.....
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:40 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Current predictions have the low stationary of Fraser, should turn and go back o the northwest, but we'll keep the winds for a while yet all the way down the coast. Ot was blowing a gale here earlier too and has died down a bit now. One model then has it joining with another system and possibly heading south again next week....but thats very much conjecture at present. I'll keep you posted.....
I concur we have terrible wind up this way. Much worse than when Deb last did sprouts
We've had 60k gusts this afternoon, it's been really blowy
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I concur we have terrible wind up this way. Much worse than when Deb last did sprouts
We've had 60k gusts this afternoon, it's been really blowy
Has the spa blown away yet?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Has the spa blown away yet?
Not quite but we have had a few gusts exceeding 115kph this afternoon. The house is swaying in the wind & Deb is shitting herself. We have a load of fallen trees again most blown over root's n all due to the recent heavy rain.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:11 pm
Home and Happy

Not quite but we have had a few gusts exceeding 115kph this afternoon. The house is swaying in the wind & Deb is shitting herself. We have a load of fallen trees again most blown over root's n all due to the recent heavy rain.
Thats a bit strong, I'll bet the house is swaying horribly. Probably go on through most of tomorrow too. The Low has turned and is heading back north, but very very slowly. Tell deb there's a bed here if she can't take it any longer. trees down all of the place, lots of SES jobs coming through from up there.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone/
There are currently no tropical cyclones or developing tropical lows.

alternatively Sky's view on the end of the weeks weather is as follows

http://www2.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=209025

Wild weather is expected across Queensland's coastline late this and early next week, amid warnings of a potential cyclone developing in the coral Sea.

A coastal wind warning has already been issued between Cardwell in north Queensland and Hervey Bay in the state's south east.

However, the Bureau of Meteorology is also warning a low developing in the coral sea could intensify into a cyclone as early as Saturday.

The weather bureau says if the cyclone develops it does not expect it to reach the coastline but gale force winds could hit central Queensland and possibly the south-east corner.

The potential cyclone could also bring more rain to the drought stricken state, much of which has experienced showers and overcast conditions in the past week.

SO CAN WE GO CAMPING OR NOT???
We best be bloody well gannin i've just shelled out big bucks on a 5 star teepee
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:51 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
We best be bloody well gannin i've just shelled out big bucks on a 5 star teepee
Think Polly's busy arranging for all the trees to be removed so we have safe passage through.

Thats a bit strong, I'll bet the house is swaying horribly. Probably go on through most of tomorrow too. The Low has turned and is heading back north, but very very slowly. Tell deb there's a bed here if she can't take it any longer. trees down all of the place, lots of SES jobs coming through from up there.
Winds picked up for a while about 2ish but now dropped again and just a normal breeze and a brief rain shower.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:58 pm

Think Polly's busy arranging for all the trees to be removed so we have safe passage through.

Winds picked up for a while about 2ish but now dropped again and just a normal breeze and a brief rain shower.
No respite here it's still gusting over 100kph. I'm amazed the power hasn't gone out yet Now if I could only hook the anemometer up to a dynamo it would power the pc
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:58 pm
Home and Happy

I wouldn't like to stick my neck out with a prediction for the end of the week - as soon as I get something more concrete I will let you guys know, but at the moment its too variable - too many pressure areas building/deepening and their trackes as yet are uncertain.
There's a low over Arnhem Land, which although it sounds a long way off, may swing across the Gulf on about Thursday as a cyclone and start working its way down the Qld coast - but thats just one model of what it might do. The one currently off Fraser is moving northwards very very slowly, and we don't know where it will end up. I'll keep my ears to the ground (even though I'm off duty from tomorrow (woohooo!!! I can drink!!!) and I'll let you know how things go.
Good thing you weren't heading for the islands though as the strong winds and waves will be around for a while yet
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:00 pm
Home and Happy

No respite here it's still gusting over 100kph. I'm amazed the power hasn't gone out yet Now if I could only hook the anemometer up to a dynamo it would power the pc
Is that an actual rcorded 115 kpm then? Mind if I pass that one on, as when we last did a situation report we hadn't any reports that high (about 5pm tonight)

I'm pretty impressed you still have power too - the trees must be falling the right way!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:02 pm

I wouldn't like to stick my neck out with a prediction for the end of the week - as soon as I get something more concrete I will let you guys know, but at the moment its too variable - too many pressure areas building/deepening and their trackes as yet are uncertain.
There's a low over Arnhem Land, which although it sounds a long way off, may swing across the Gulf on about Thursday as a cyclone and start working its way down the Qld coast - but thats just one model of what it might do. The one currently off Fraser is moving northwards very very slowly, and we don't know where it will end up. I'll keep my ears to the ground (even though I'm off duty from tomorrow (woohooo!!! I can drink!!!) and I'll let you know how things go.
Good thing you weren't heading for the islands though as the strong winds and waves will be around for a while yet
As long as it doesn't head up the mountain as our tent test pitching has occurred and has been left overnight, so hopefully it needs to still be there tomorrow for us to crawl into.

'Thursday as a cyclone and start working its way down the Qld coast'...: that's getting very close to official camping date.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:02 pm

Is that an actual rcorded 115 kpm then? Mind if I pass that one on, as when we last did a situation report we hadn't any reports that high (about 5pm tonight)

I'm pretty impressed you still have power too - the trees must be falling the right way!
He didn't say where the wind was coming from, I'd check what he had for tea first.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:06 pm

You can if they except hand held Kestrel readings. Though bear in mind we're over 300m above sea level on an exposed ridge [well we are now the trees have blown down]
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:12 pm
Home and Happy

As long as it doesn't head up the mountain as our tent test pitching has occurred and has been left overnight, so hopefully it needs to still be there tomorrow for us to crawl into.

'Thursday as a cyclone and start working its way down the Qld coast'...: that's getting very close to official camping date.
Its one model at present at othere are others which are a lot less serious, so don't panic..yet... even if it does become a cyclone it may come nowhere near this neck of the woods. The BoM guys really can't say at present cos their models are all giving different answers, but if/when I know anythingn I'll let you know in turn.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:14 pm
Home and Happy

You can if they except hand held Kestrel readings. Though bear in mind we're over 300m above sea level on an exposed ridge [well we are now the trees have blown down]
Still a pretty good reading - I might pass it on and see what they reckon, I think any data is useful, so thanks for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.