Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20032.txt

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds and Dangerous Surf causing coastal inundation.
For people on Fraser Island through to the Sunshine and Gold Coasts.
Issued at 11:30 pm on Wednesday 2 January 2008

Synoptic Situation: A developing low pressure system about 900 km east of Fraser Island will move west during the next 24 hours and be located just off the far southern coast by late Thursday.

Very large waves are expected to develop on top of the current swells causing dangerous conditions during Thursday and into early Friday when waves heights are expected to gradually decrease. Winds are also expected to increase along coastal areas during Thursday with gusts likely reach 90 km/h in more exposed parts which will then ease during Friday.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:21 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20032.txt

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds and Dangerous Surf causing coastal inundation.
For people on Fraser Island through to the Sunshine and Gold Coasts.
Issued at 11:30 pm on Wednesday 2 January 2008

Synoptic Situation: A developing low pressure system about 900 km east of Fraser Island will move west during the next 24 hours and be located just off the far southern coast by late Thursday.

Very large waves are expected to develop on top of the current swells causing dangerous conditions during Thursday and into early Friday when waves heights are expected to gradually decrease. Winds are also expected to increase along coastal areas during Thursday with gusts likely reach 90 km/h in more exposed parts which will then ease during Friday.
By the far Southern Coast do they mean Goldcoast???
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
By the far Southern Coast do they mean Goldcoast???
Yep, it'll move down the Gold Coast and on down into NSW.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:51 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

BOM... it is expected to rain in Brisbane on 20 out of the next 28 days.. lets hope my water tank gets here in time for some
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by datamile
BOM... it is expected to rain in Brisbane on 20 out of the next 28 days.. lets hope my water tank gets here in time for some
My extra one is coming today, just have to figure out where I'm going to put it and how to plumb it in to the existing system, so will miss this rain.

Saying that the others are already full, so have reasonable supply while I figure it out.

We are all buying these tanks and the drought will stop.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:53 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

sounds more like a uk winter rather than an oz summer. Mind you, drought has broken and the ozzie OH says this is more what she grew up with, not the sweltering heat I usually see each summer.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:59 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
sounds more like a uk winter rather than an oz summer. Mind you, drought has broken and the ozzie OH says this is more what she grew up with, not the sweltering heat I usually see each summer.
Talking to a Aussie mate at work he reckons that when he was a kid (around 25 yr ago) very few people actually took a holiday at this time of year due to the wet weather..
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Talking to a Aussie mate at work he reckons that when he was a kid (around 25 yr ago) very few people actually took a holiday at this time of year due to the wet weather..
It's normally all the wet summer weather that racks the humidity up as well.

Will have to get my tumble dryer fixed up to go.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:36 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

It's normally all the wet summer weather that racks the humidity up as well.

Will have to get my tumble dryer fixed up to go.
youre more in the tropics than I am in hunter valley nsw so I would imagine you get more humidity. Its not until february that we get higher humidity for any length of time.

The lows from the north are certainly moving south and we also have coastal warnings for swimmers/surfers for Newcastle. Only 2m swells reported up til now but I expect it to worsen.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am soooo over it now. Bloody school summer holidays - nothing changes A couple of days of sun isn't much to ask, is it? I love the rain but this is taking the piss We've not seen the sun since way before christmas, maybe a couple of hours here and there but I'm bloody bloody over it Aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh My God. I've become a Whinging Pom
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:56 am

youre more in the tropics than I am in hunter valley nsw so I would imagine you get more humidity. Its not until february that we get higher humidity for any length of time.

The lows from the north are certainly moving south and we also have coastal warnings for swimmers/surfers for Newcastle. Only 2m swells reported up til now but I expect it to worsen.
Latest off BOM...
Synoptic Situation: A developing low pressure system about 650 km east of Noosa will move west during the next 24 hours and be located about 300km east of Noosa by 10am Friday.

Very large waves are expected to develop on top of the current swells causing dangerous conditions today and into Friday. Waves heights are expected to gradually decrease Friday afternoon.
Winds are also expected to increase along coastal areas during today with gusts likely reach 90 km/h in more exposed parts which will then ease during Friday.

Increasing rainfall overnight Thursday and into early Friday could lead to flash
flooding about the Southeast Coast District in smaller streams about the coast and west towards the Dividing Range.

Wet weekend set to continue and after all this rain I'm sure Feb's humidity will be a joy.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We've come to the conclusion we're lighting the fire tonight, rain is ok the cold is not. I feel like I'm in England and I don't want to be there
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We've come to the conclusion we're lighting the fire tonight, rain is ok the cold is not. I feel like I'm in England and I don't want to be there
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, it'll move down the Gold Coast and on down into NSW.
I agree very like bl@@dy England, just looked on BOM and it's a wall of blue from Rainbow Beach down to Grafton and all heading inland on top of us.

ABC have put it out apparently as a general coastal Severe Weather warning but think we are far enough in over to take the edge of the wind but not the rain.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:39 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I agree very like bl@@dy England, just looked on BOM and it's a wall of blue from Rainbow Beach down to Grafton and all heading inland on top of us.

ABC have put it out apparently as a general coastal Severe Weather warning but think we are far enough in over to take the edge of the wind but not the rain.
What rain ? Live image

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey, look, it's only light!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.