Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

The Official Loners Thread

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:58 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

Originally Posted by CRT23
I admire you all so much I would love to emigrate but to be honest I don't think my boyfriend will. I think there is so much more opportunity out there. Really really wish I could have the guts to do it myself. I don't reckon me and my partner will be together forever might just have to make the plunge!!!!
If it's something you want to do I say give it a shot. You never know your BF may come round to the idea even at the end of it and you get a visa you still have the option to stay if it's not the right time for you
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

I admire you all so much I would love to emigrate but to be honest I don't think my boyfriend will. I think there is so much more opportunity out there. Really really wish I could have the guts to do it myself. I don't reckon me and my partner will be together forever might just have to make the plunge!!!!
Well, i think you answered your own problem right there! I know it depends on your circumstances, but there's really not that much to be afraid of if you just think of it as being the same as moving to any other city/place in the uk. It's more complex in many ways, but realistically, it's just a little bit further away..
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xzibit
As posted in the IELTS thread too.

Just back from IELTS.

Didn't think I was doing all that bad until I went into the speaking test. I got all nervous, as I'm kind of shy lol and used "um" a bit and when I had to speak about my topic, I ran out of things to say about 1 min 30 secs in and didn't keep talking until she said stop.

Well, wait the 2 weeks for the results now!!
you'll be fine! Hope you get it, sure you'll have done enough though. The speaking part shouldn't be a problem, don't worry about it.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pacey
you'll be fine! Hope you get it, sure you'll have done enough though. The speaking part shouldn't be a problem, don't worry about it.
Cheers Pace,

I was quite happy about the listening, reading and writing and then a bit annoyed when I came out of the speaking, but I answered all questions fully, just um'd and ah'd a bit as I get stuttery when nervous which is annoying and I didn't speak until she said stop, I just concluded with "and that's about it" lol.

But a guy I was talking to was Chinese, and he spoke quite good English, but much slower than me, and didn't have a grasp of some words, and he said he got a 6 last time, so fingers crossed.

There was another guy there about my age who was emigrating to Oz too, he's a teacher. Had a chat with him about it.

Nerve wrecking wait now, god I hate it, I wasn't as nervous about any other previous exam results!!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Similar situation to me. But I have to try it and will regret it if I stay and don't give it a go.

People say I must have guts doing it alone, but I don't think of it like that. I want to try and better my life, as you only get one shot at it, and when your older you don't want to be thinking "what if?".
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:51 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
you don't want to be thinking "what if?".
Exactly
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

hah you'll be fine mate, everyone ums and ahs don't they?!

also bang on about going for it. I also don't think it takes that much guts to go solo. It's just what I know I want to do, so I'll do it.

But I am dying to get off and start a new life. Really feeling it today, I need to go, and soon. Driving me mad! probably cause i have nothing to do, nowhere to go, and nobody to see this weekend. That's what happens when you move back to your folks place in preparation, and all your friends live miles away (and you are trying to save!)! Where's my tiny violin?

But then I know it's my choice and it will be worth it long term! So, go for it if you want it. That goes for everything in life, huh!?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

CRT23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would love to go to Canada or Australia, I have spent time in Canada but I have never been to Australia and feel I would need to take a holiday there before deciding. However I do know people who have emigrated to Australia without even visiting now that takes guts!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
There's a meet up this sunday in Kingston for the London/Surrey lot which I'm sure you'd all be welcome to. Fizzy and Aqua are coming aren't you?
NoWas hoping rugby might be cancelled because of rain, but it hasn't been so really disappointed! Have a great time SS and Fizz. Anyone else going?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by char1
Well I am no longer a loner.... because I'm no longer going to Australia!

Decided I can't live without my boyfriend as if I go there's still no way to get him in, so I'm going to beg with the company that have offered me the job to delay the start date until my boyfriend and I have been living together a year.

It's unlikely I could get a job here in the mean time to help my experience as it's all based in Scotland so I'm going to have to pray they have the same sort of vacancies open when I am ready to leave.

So I wish you all well and I hope you do the same for me when I enter the world of defacto nonsense and flat hunting!!
Well thats makes two..

Im calling my visa agent tommorow to tell them i will not be going ahead with my visa process.

We are all different and have different circumstances.

I never done my research on retraining .
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:21 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul76
Well thats makes two..

Im calling my visa agent tommorow to tell them i will not be going ahead with my visa process.

Thats rubbish. I cant imagine not going now. I'm a bit like Pacey (but havent had to move back home yet) and cant think of much else other than getting out there. Got some positive leads on some jobs so fingers crossed I'll be there for more of this year than I'll be here.

Come visit me for a holiday Paul. Keep the fire burning an all that.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

char1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Thats rubbish. I cant imagine not going now. I'm a bit like Pacey (but havent had to move back home yet) and cant think of much else other than getting out there. Got some positive leads on some jobs so fingers crossed I'll be there for more of this year than I'll be here.

Come visit me for a holiday Paul. Keep the fire burning an all that.
Ditto! Just found ourselves a nice place to live and moving in in 2 weeks then we'll be counting down the weeks until we can start again with things. Still dreading telling my future (potential!) employer that have to start 5 months later than planned.... eeeek!

Keep up the good work Paul, you know you want it!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:02 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Well thats makes two..

Hope things work out M8 and here's hoping you make it out in a couple of years or so with your new trade
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Thanks Paul

I cant see that happening to be honest.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Paul

I cant see that happening to be honest.
mate if you want to do it, you can do it. It shitty you've had this setback, but don't give up if it's what you want to do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.