Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

The Official Loners Thread

Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

IELTS is a hoot mate, don't even worry about it The speaking part is hilarious and weird..

Good luck with it xzibit - harder than you'd think, but you'll be fine fella
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pacey
IELTS is a hoot mate, don't even worry about it The speaking part is hilarious and weird..

Good luck with it xzibit - harder than you'd think, but you'll be fine fella

I still can't believe it that they make brits sit a language test if they want to claim the full points for english (particularly with the standards in Oz!)

That said - I suppose there are quite a few parts of the UK that don't speak the queen's english
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers.

I've been doing practice tests for the past two weeks, so I know the format and what they're looking for - just have to actually concentrate and hope I get an easyish one.

Luckily I've got an early speaking slot so hopefully they'll realise I can speak fine and I'll be out of there pretty quickly.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hah the speaking is great. I talked about the Lake District and moving to Australia, and he got me to compare britain to aus. It was rather deep. I was in tears by the end, a broken man!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Do they get you to do your abc's and 123's as a warm up, or was it straight into the difficult stuff???
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

straight in at the deep end. Politics, science, olde english, bit of celeb gossip..
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

All week I have been doing practice reading and writing tests from the internet and have just realised....

....I have been doing the academic tests!!

The General one's look pretty easy compared lol. I best give them a go.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

char1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am no longer a loner.... because I'm no longer going to Australia!

Decided I can't live without my boyfriend as if I go there's still no way to get him in, so I'm going to beg with the company that have offered me the job to delay the start date until my boyfriend and I have been living together a year.

It's unlikely I could get a job here in the mean time to help my experience as it's all based in Scotland so I'm going to have to pray they have the same sort of vacancies open when I am ready to leave.

So I wish you all well and I hope you do the same for me when I enter the world of defacto nonsense and flat hunting!!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

this is a big decision your making and i hope its for the best!

Us loners will be here if you ever need any advice

I wish you the best of luck for the future

doc

Originally Posted by char1

Decided I can't live without my boyfriend as if I go there's still no way to get him in, so I'm going to beg with the company that have offered me the job to delay the start date until my boyfriend and I have been living together a year.

It's unlikely I could get a job here in the mean time to help my experience as it's all based in Scotland so I'm going to have to pray they have the same sort of vacancies open when I am ready to leave.

So I wish you all well and I hope you do the same for me when I enter the world of defacto nonsense and flat hunting!!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:45 am
Just Joined

nathan1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aquamarine
When will you know if you made it for April???? I want to be packing my bags in July!!!!

I'm just waiting, waiting, waiting for a CO. I have meds booked for week after next. Hopefully, if I get them in quick, there will be nothing for a CO to do, but hand application to a decision maker

Well i think i have missed it, im working in glasgow at the moment so i need to get a train into the town everytime i need to get on the internet and i ve just checked and it says the deadline has passed so i dont hold out much hope
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:49 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by char1

That is such a shame for you. here's hoping it's not the end of your dream just a delay as your still young enough to try again in a few years or so
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

char1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a shame, but I think I'm more dissapointed at the thought of staying in the same crappy job for the next 8 months! Getting the 12 months will mean we can have a lifetime there, if I go now it will just cause an awful lot more hassle in the long run.

I think I will be ok, I have no relevant work experience after graduating but this company seemed happy to take that risk. They offered another guy a contract to start 6 months in the future, so maybe 8 months will be ok too. I'm going to contact some agents to clarify it all before speaking to the company.

Good luck all!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

As posted in the IELTS thread too.

Just back from IELTS.

Didn't think I was doing all that bad until I went into the speaking test. I got all nervous, as I'm kind of shy lol and used "um" a bit and when I had to speak about my topic, I ran out of things to say about 1 min 30 secs in and didn't keep talking until she said stop.

Well, wait the 2 weeks for the results now!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:31 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xzibit
As posted in the IELTS thread too.

Just back from IELTS.

Didn't think I was doing all that bad until I went into the speaking test. I got all nervous, as I'm kind of shy lol and used "um" a bit and when I had to speak about my topic, I ran out of things to say about 1 min 30 secs in and didn't keep talking until she said stop.

Well, wait the 2 weeks for the results now!!
Fingers crossed for you. I'm sure glad I didn't have to do IELTS
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

CRT23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I admire you all so much I would love to emigrate but to be honest I don't think my boyfriend will. I think there is so much more opportunity out there. Really really wish I could have the guts to do it myself. I don't reckon me and my partner will be together forever might just have to make the plunge!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.