Invaded or settled?

Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invaded or settled?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Interesting to see the usual entrenched views on this issue i.e. invaded or settled (although it's moved to it's usual anti-all Islam).

As one of the few posters born in Australia and who studied Australian history at school and university (2 years taught by Prof Geoffrey Blainey, one of Australia's most eminent historians and authors) I would make the following points:

1 Why did Captain James Cook not follow customary and maritime law at the time and instructions from his masters to negotiate a treaty with any indigenous people he encountered? (I'll answer my own question - Cook said he encountered savages and they were not entitled to a treaty).

2 Why did they resort to the legal lie and patently untrue idea that the land was 'terra nullius' (belonging to nobody)?

3 Invasion deniers are looking for an army and battles (such as Hastings) which didn't happen. The 'invasion' was at the micro level and widespread, both geographically and over time. The 'settlers' who took up land given to them by the British crown killed off any resistance they encountered and completed the job with their diseases such as smallpox which the indigenous people had no immunity to. If you really believe that the aboriginals weren't slaughtered in their tens of thousands in Tasmania and NSW in particular then you either have your head in the sand or haven't read enough on it.

I know it can't be changed and things were different then and all that but it happened and there's no denying it.

(anticipates usual lefty etc comments)
This was vaguely interesting until the last line. I am seriously over this constant 'leftie/rightie' bullshit. Some people, in fact most people, have opinions on stuff that has absolutely no bearing on who they vote for and that, along with the seemingly constant muttering of the current BE buzz word 'strawman' makes me want to throw heavy things at people's heads.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This was vaguely interesting until the last line. I am seriously over this constant 'leftie/rightie' bullshit. Some people, in fact most people, have opinions on stuff that has absolutely no bearing on who they vote for and that, along with the seemingly constant muttering of the current BE buzz word 'strawman' makes me want to throw heavy things at people's heads.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was interesting too until the second last paragraph.

I know it can't be changed and things were different then and all that but it happened and there's no denying it.

Sounds like he was trying to argue with someone, but I really don't think anyone was disputing that Australia at various points in time has been, settled, invaded, colonized, etc.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Total and utter crap ! I cant believe that you believe that

This ISIS mob and the western medias reaction has got you totally freaked out hasn't it.

So Curry, Pizza, Souvlaki and Yum Cha are ok and Kebabs and Falfels are not.... Because at the end of the day, when all is said and done, that's what it comes down to..... thats integration on the high street.

Or put another way... Hindi Temples, Othodox Church and Bhuddist Shrines are fine, but Mosques are evil ..... Your kidding aren't you. Sari's are in and Muslim headdress is out.... What a weird way of thinking.
Where do you get this shite from? I never said any of that. I know that you view the world through the prism of your trendy inner city suburb but do try and see the big picture - it seems to me that you only want to believe what you want to believe. As a libertarian, I want the government out of our lives as much as is feasibly possible - so as much as I dislike many aspects of islam, I also believe that no government has the right to tell people what they can wear or where to pray. The fact that some muslims have chosen to integrate and assimilate is awesome, but it is also clear that large sections of western islam has failed to - hence we have Mollenbeek, Charlie Hebdo etc. The facts are out there. Open your eyes

Hope this helps

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 8th 2016 at 4:51 am.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where do you get this shite from? I never said any of that. I know that you view the world through the prism of your trendy inner city suburb but do try and see the big picture - it seems to me that you only want to believe what you want to believe. As a libertarian, I want the government out of our lives as much as is feasibly possible - so as much as I dislike many aspects of islam, I also believe that no government has the right to tell people what they can wear or where to pray. The fact that some muslims have chosen to integrate and assimilate is awesome, but it is also clear that large sections of western islam has failed to - hence we have Mollenbeek, Charlie Hebdo etc. The facts are out there. Open your eyes

Hope this helps

I'm obviously going to give you a pictorial education, seeing as words wont sink in.

This is Islam Melbourne Style...... This is exactly what we see around our streets here... Modern Islam is ISIS no one target... don't you understand that. Your views are aiding an abetting ISIS.... wake up for gods sake. You're acting like ISIS best ally in trying to alienate Muslims....but there again right wingers do stick together and that's exactly what ISIS is a facist military arm of the Saudi's wants and needs.

I dont think it's me that needs to wake up sunshine.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 7:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm obviously going to give you a pictorial education, seeing as words wont sink in.

This is Islam Melbourne Style...... This is exactly what we see around our streets here... Modern Islam is ISIS no one target... don't you understand that. Your views are aiding an abetting ISIS.... wake up for gods sake. You're acting like ISIS best ally in trying to alienate Muslims....but there again right wingers do stick together and that's exactly what ISIS is a facist military arm of the Saudi's wants and needs.

http://trendymods.com/wp-content/upl...rends-2013.jpg

http://www.voguepk.com/wp-content/up...ic-Clothes.jpg

I dont think it's me that needs to wake up sunshine.
Exactly proving what I was saying.......

Some have integrated, most have not

Hope this helps
Old Apr 8th 2016, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly proving what I was saying.......

Some have integrated, most have not

Hope this helps
Hope this helps. Hope this helps. ....
Old Apr 8th 2016, 10:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously over this constant 'leftie/rightie' bullshit.
Unfortunately that's all the Australia forum is now...the same thing, from the same old people repeated ad nauseum...even when the subject seems to have nothing to do with politics they'll be there throwing in the same tired one liners. Obviously it's stimulating for some, I've basically bowed out and will stick to flight threads!
Old Apr 8th 2016, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Unfortunately that's all the Australia forum is now...the same thing, from the same old people repeated ad nauseum...even when the subject seems to have nothing to do with politics they'll be there throwing in the same tired one liners. Obviously it's stimulating for some, I've basically bowed out and will stick to flight threads!
Sadly it's not just Aus but I take your point.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 11:44 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I had a look in here near tbe beginning of the thread, didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and ran away.

To be fair, most of the problems are caused by half a dozen people who scream "leftie" at anything that is vaguely to the left of Mussolini and with which they disagree.

In reality, these discussions are almost never about left or right wing political or economic views anyway. They are about society, culture, and how the human race should behave.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I had a look in here near tbe beginning of the thread, didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and ran away.

To be fair, most of the problems are caused by half a dozen people who scream "leftie" at anything that is vaguely to the left of Mussolini and with which they disagree.

In reality, these discussions are almost never about left or right wing political or economic views anyway. They are about society, culture, and how the human race should behave.
The funny thing about this thread is the lefties are having a bit of a tiff with themselves. They like doing that.

Almost everyone who has passed comment on this thread, regardless of their spectrum seems to agree that moving forward requires unity, not division.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

To be fair, most of the problems are caused by half a dozen people who scream "leftie" at anything with which they disagree.
Fify
Old Apr 8th 2016, 12:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Hope this helps. Hope this helps. ....
You of all people need.help
Old Apr 8th 2016, 12:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Fify
Fair point.

Also to be fair, this thread is mind-bogglingly worse.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/barbi...cumbag-875388/

.../glasshalffull

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 8th 2016 at 1:05 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Fair point.

Also to be fair, this thread is mind-bogglingly worse.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/barbi...cumbag-875388/

.../glasshalffull
Yeah, what can I say, humans are very odd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.