Invaded or settled?

Old Apr 21st 2016, 1:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invaded or settled?

Invaded or settled? depends who you ask but definitely not "Discovered" by the white man.

I just got back from Peru and it's the same there with indigenous people - Columbus absolutely did not "discover" South America.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Columbus absolutely did not "discover" South America.
Well, I dunno. I've just discovered the name "Iluka" - however many other people discovered it before me. I think Columbus did discover South America, although I have since discovered that "Columbus" was not his real name.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I dunno. I've just discovered the name "Iluka" - however many other people discovered it before me. I think Columbus did discover South America, although I have since discovered that "Columbus" was not his real name.
That's the guy who thought he was near India when he was in the Caribbean so he named it the West Indies and the indigenous people around those parts were called Indians.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
That's the guy who thought he was near India when he was in the Caribbean so he named it the West Indies and the indigenous people around those parts were called Indians.
.... and for good reason.

When Columbus lived, people thought that the earth was flat. They believed the Atlantic Ocean to be filled with monsters large enough to devour their ships, and with fearful waterfalls over which their frail vessels would plunge to destruction. Columbus had to fight these foolish beliefs in order to get men to sail with him. He felt sure the earth was round.”
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
.... and for good reason.

When Columbus lived, people thought that the earth was flat. They believed the Atlantic Ocean to be filled with monsters large enough to devour their ships, and with fearful waterfalls over which their frail vessels would plunge to destruction. Columbus had to fight these foolish beliefs in order to get men to sail with him. He felt sure the earth was round.”
Thanks for the lesson, I wouldn't have known that and anyone would think I was being ironic.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Thanks for the lesson, I wouldn't have known that and anyone would think I was being ironic.
Of course. I should have remembered you are a world class high school history teacher.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Invaded or settled? depends who you ask but definitely not "Discovered" by the white man.

I just got back from Peru and it's the same there with indigenous people - Columbus absolutely did not "discover" South America.

Is this you??
Attached Thumbnails Invaded or settled?-paddington-07.jpg  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why both invaded and settled are the appropriate terms to use. A country cannot be foundered if already inhabited.

Ignorance as to its previous existence can hardly be a reason to claim discovery either.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:12 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Of course. I should have remembered you are a world class high school history teacher.
Do they even teach that stuff in school these days?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
No idea, probably not, that's what wikipedia is for
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Which of course in reference to the above post, can create a large degree of confusion. While Wikipedia may assist in covering large degrees of ignorance,it does not fill in the spaces that would allow for real knowledge on the matter nor the ability to argue a subject matter based on learned experience.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree the ignorance around may well suggest otherwise as does the apathy.