Invaded or settled?

Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invaded or settled?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I really don't see how Cook arriving in a rowing boat and the leaving again can be considered an invasion.

Arguably, the arrival of the first fleet may well be considered an invasion - though not really falling within the dictionary definition - it was generally appropriation of territory under force of arms, just not from any defined or identified geopolitical entity.

But whether or not it was is neither here nor there TBH - it was what it was, and is the reality of history, as has been the case for hundreds of countries and territories across the globe throughout history.

Personally, I prefer the term colonisation - as it reflects both the political ideology of Empire and the actual activity of the time.

S
Old Mar 31st 2016, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the Romans .....
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I blame the Romans .....
I blame the primordial soup. That's were all this invasion/colonisation business began.
What did primordial soup ever do for us ?????
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 10:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
it's sad that Australia was 'invaded' is an official viewpoint of a major university - although I'm sure that their students can, and should, make their own minds up

Not cool

Revisionist history is one of the reasons why I detest the left
I think students should make up their own minds about how to view the world too. I also think that those that actually really take the time to objectively look at Australia's history will come to see Australia as both invaded AND settled.

Being interested in looking at history not as a string of "facts" but as stories told and stories omitted and being interested in how the world looks when the omitted stories are told is one of the reasons I love the left; thinking is good
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I think students should make up their own minds about how to view the world too. I also think that those that actually really take the time to objectively look at Australia's history will come to see Australia as both invaded AND settled.

Being interested in looking at history not as a string of "facts" but as stories told and stories omitted and being interested in how the world looks when the omitted stories are told is one of the reasons I love the left; thinking is good
But that's the point, if the left actually "thought" about what the term "invaded" means to division and destruction, they may not use it so loosely. Is division and destruction really what the left are all about? ..... not a very bright thing to do.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:09 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
But that's the point, if the left actually "thought" about what the term "invaded" means to division and destruction, they may not use it so loosely. Is division and destruction really what the left are all about? ..... not a very bright thing to do.
You think they use it loosely without thought .... !!!
There are Australians who do feel their country was invaded; that's not a perspective recently cooked up by some leftie academics to piss off the right. Does silencing that perspective result in or equate with unity? Does the discomfort that comes from thinking about something uncomfortable mean it's not worth thinking about the issue?

I'm not going to discredit your opinion by questioning your intellect so why not stick to the issue instead of trying to undermine the intellect of those who see the issue differently.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion about the issue; whatever.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 1:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's a valid academic argument to be made for both points of view but rather than encouraging students to effectively argue for either side the university would rather dictate what is considered the 'acceptable' viewpoint. This is rife throughout higher education at the moment with 'safe spaces' and the Rhodes Must Fall brigade. Far too much emphasis currently being placed about what to think rather than how to think.

Last edited by BritInParis; Apr 2nd 2016 at 1:15 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Australia was not invaded - it was claimed, settled and colonised

Anything else is revisionist mumbo jumbo
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a left-versus-right issue at all. Of course the British invaded Australia, as they did North America and every other foreign place where they established dominance. That's just plain English. Calling invaders "settlers" is misleading. The Israelis call what they're doing in Palestine "settling", but settlers can only do their thing if they've shoved the inhabitants out of the way first. When people charge through somebody's front door intent on taking over his house, we call it a "home invasion"; we don't call the newcomers "settlers". Sheesh!
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I don't think it's a left-versus-right issue at all. Of course the British invaded Australia, as they did North America and every other foreign place where they established dominance. That's just plain English. Calling invaders "settlers" is misleading. The Israelis call what they're doing in Palestine "settling", but settlers can only do their thing if they've shoved the inhabitants out of the way first. When people charge through somebody's front door intent on taking over his house, we call it a "home invasion"; we don't call the newcomers "settlers". Sheesh!
Australia was not invaded - it was claimed and settled

Anything else is leftie, anti-west, revisionist mumbo jumbo

Palestine has nothing to do with what happened in Australia. Palestine belongs to Israel and the Palestinians will just have to accept this. Israel will never give their land up and will never be defeated - no matter how much the leftist anti-Semites want this to happen. End of
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:23 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea for a thread
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazulu you are telling is that God gave Theodor Herzl, Cham Weizman and David Ben Gurion the title deeds for Israel ? Who is talking mumbo-jumbo now ?
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that the Zulu is being sarcastic. I haven't been following his comments on the various threads, but it's unlikely that anybody with an ounce of sense believes that Israel and its "settlers" didn't invade Palestine. They have deliberately modelled their takeover on the British actions in North America. Here's a recent report of the invasion of Europe by dispossessed migrants from the Middle East and North Africa; one or two of the natives are fighting back. A sign of the times.
https://www.rt.com/news/338155-greek...m_campaign=RSS
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

nw250134 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazulu said, "Personally, I prefer the term colonisation - as it reflects both the political ideology of Empire and the actual activity of the time."

Australia was colonized by various waves of migrants from the North, some as far back as 60,000 years, more recent waves of unrelated migrants whose remains are shown to have different DNA, settled at least 40,000 years ago and in several different parts of the north of the country. More recent migrants from Europe were technologically advantaged and developed the land more than the simple fish traps and eel breeding areas in Victoria which had been achieved by the previous tenants.

Similarly, The Celtic Britons migrated from Western Europe then Britain was invaded/settled/developed by Romans, with superior technology, then Vikings, then Jutes, then Angles, and Saxons, and Scandinavians etc.

Settled? Colonized? Developed? The difference seems to be Point of View. The previous occupiers were previous tenants, not owners as their ancestors had settled or colonized some of the land.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You think they use it loosely without thought .... !!!
There are Australians who do feel their country was invaded; that's not a perspective recently cooked up by some leftie academics to piss off the right. Does silencing that perspective result in or equate with unity? Does the discomfort that comes from thinking about something uncomfortable mean it's not worth thinking about the issue?

I'm not going to discredit your opinion by questioning your intellect so why not stick to the issue instead of trying to undermine the intellect of those who see the issue differently.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion about the issue; whatever.
I am entitled to my opinion, and I will give it to you. Try discredit it all you want. Its been tried before and the left always fall. You will follow suit.

Call it whatever you like. Settled, invaded, who cares. You can't change history.

Australia has had migration, settling, invasions, etc, for millions of years. The arrival of Captain Cook and the fleets that followed is just another chapter. There will be more.

So has every place on earth.

What's the point in placing an aggressive word in place just so the lefties and minority groups can create a fight?

Of course the lefties will jump up and down about the cultural divide it as left and the monetary have's have nots it created, but let me ask you this, where do you think the pre Cook settlers would be today had British settlers not arrived?

And I call them pre Cook settlers because they were once settlers themselves. Calling them invaders would be inappropriate and may upset the left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.