Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hevs, you have a child in an a/c school stop the drivel & answer my off topic question
ok! 140 ish pupils 3 large buildings (terrapin thingies) 2 a/c units in each one. (about 45 per class ROOM, not Class, the buildings are divided.
Is that the right ot thing mrs DB?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
ok! 140 ish pupils 3 large buildings (terrapin thingies) 2 a/c units in each one. (about 45 per class ROOM, not Class, the buildings are divided.
Is that the right ot thing mrs DB?
Perfect hevs, thanx for the info
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:13 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hate to burst your bubble about power failure in the uk, but last year we had quite a few power cuts, the worst being on bonfire night that lasted all evening and into the next day. No heating, no lights several terrified kids...great fun. The city centres all ground to a halt when it snowed the other week...apparently the prepared gritters failed cos it was the 'wrong kind of snow' in sheffield!!!!!!!
During the summer heat last summer the schools shut cos the kids were too hot....playgrounds were melting, everywhere dried up so no outdoor pools (like in Bakewell) and we were all warned to conserve water...no hosepipes etc!
Dont forget the uk is just as miserable during extremes of weather too. Is this a case of reverse rose tinted specs???

just out of interest do any of you complain to the schools/education dept about the kids having to do sports in such extremes of temp?? has anyone got a ''committee'' set up to lobby the schools? How do the schools deal with these complaints? Dont the teachers object to having to teach pe in the heat?

just wondering...

sue
(awaiting incoming flak!!)
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Perfect hevs, thanx for the info
Why? you conducting a secret poll then
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

schools/education dept about the kids having to do sports in such extremes of temp?? has anyone got a ''committee'' set up to lobby the schools? How do the schools deal with these complaints? Dont the teachers object to having to teach pe in the heat?

just wondering...

sue
(awaiting incoming flak!!)
For gods sake woman we don't complain we're British!!!
Schools tell ya to go back home if you don't like it!!
no, they like peeing in the heat!
Enuff flak for ya!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:26 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
For gods sake woman we don't complain we're British!!!
Schools tell ya to go back home if you don't like it!!
no, they like peeing in the heat!
Enuff flak for ya!

the thought just tickled me.
At our local school the kids kept getting in and setting fire to the infants dept, so some of the mothers ''got together'' and invited the local councillor round to grill em about the lack of security - result = some poor bugger being mobbed by about 8 mad irate women whe threatened to chain her to the railings if she didnt get funding to make the school properly secure!!!!!
just wondered if Aussies had that same complain now ask later mentality of some english folk!!?

sue
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:00 am
Badge

The whole country is primative, I've had it today! Moan, moan, moan.
I think Florida? said to someone 'where's your spirit'? :-) Interesting point.

Yes Australia is primitive. That is why Australia has the character it does. It is a harsh, dry climate, and in some ways it's amazing it supports a First World Nation. Look at Africa, why can't they do what settlers did in Australia??!! My view is that sometimes elements can win over human endeavour, eg. look at Cyclones, famine, drought etc. The day you forget this, is the day you become divorced from the planet you live in.

(bloody hell I sound like a greeno)

Australia is not a namby pampy easy; the weather has always been a trademark of it ask any farmer, driller, roustabout or primary producer.

I worked as a driller in Leonara, WA, 3 hrs North of Kal and had to sprint 10m carrying a bucket with rocks, every 20 seconds, in 40 degree temps for 6 hour shifts. If I wasn't doing this, then I was lifting 45kg 3 metre rods off the back of a lorry. It was hot, but I thought, it must have been worse!!! If noone did this, then Australia wouldn't have what it has.

What I'm saying, is, you can't always cocoon yourself in a perfect little world.;-)

badge

Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:02 am
Badge

Maybe I was wrong there - it was more like 30kg.....

Badge

Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by badgersmount
Maybe I was wrong there - it was more like 30kg.....

Badge
Get heavier with age:

Drilling Rigs
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:45 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins

the thought just tickled me.
At our local school the kids kept getting in and setting fire to the infants dept, so some of the mothers ''got together'' and invited the local councillor round to grill em about the lack of security - result = some poor bugger being mobbed by about 8 mad irate women whe threatened to chain her to the railings if she didnt get funding to make the school properly secure!!!!!
just wondered if Aussies had that same complain now ask later mentality of some english folk!!?

sue
I might be missing the point but my sons school does not currently have a library or proper labs and computer rooms because it caught fire...they are all on the sports fields in temp classes (prefabs).

I do not find it funny.....State NSW school, which I am happy with....setting fires ---I must be past it, I am horrified...I want to get my children back into their UK state schools..........ah but same shit different country! it all happens...........????
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:48 am
Badge

those RC or RAB drills were the ones to get a job on (apparently) - less weight. Like an idiot I got a job on a AC one - with metal liners inside the rods- twice the weight or something.

The first time I picked one up, and lifted it up to connect, I thought I'd entered the "World's Strongest Man' competition!!! It was bloody heavy, as in hold your breath or you'll burst every vein in your body...jesus...what fun we had. We got 10 mins in between holes and I used to guzzle the h20 like it was going out of fashion. The drill companies used to come up and watch us whilst me and my offsider mate dug trenches at a million miles an hour - to drain off the water from the new hole as it threatened to flood the site. That gave you a 'break', then it was back to drilling!!

One day one of the girls turned up from the office, and it was the one incentive it took to go 100pc. Noone wanted to look a slacker. She even gave me a hand with the bucket running "so how you gaaan - over from the old country?" Meanwhile all the office mob just watched.

300 bucks a day, plus bonuses for work done, cash in hand, free food (feed in the pub - I had steak and chips every night, plus loads of protein shakes) and free ac accomodation - own room.

never again, but it makes you appreciate all the people that made Australia in 200 years.

Badge

Attached Thumbnails Might as well have moved to Nigeria-rig.jpg  

Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:56 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Megalania
Get heavier with age:

/QUOTE]
and the point in this thread was what?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:59 am
Badge

how 'primitive' supposedly Australia is!!! (I was just reinforcing the argument that a lot of people work very hard in nasty conditions so that the average Australian can live reasonably comfortably - in what is otherwise a pretty harsh climate.) So I don't whinge about the heat - walking in it, running OK - just don't ask me to lift weights at the same time!!!

So the occasional power cut is the price you pay when infrastructure is so stretched, just like the UK is stretched when leaves fall on the line???

BM

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:17 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by badgersmount
how 'primitive' supposedly Australia is!!! (I was just reinforcing the argument that a lot of people work very hard in nasty conditions so that the average Australian can live reasonably comfortably - in what is otherwise a pretty harsh climate.) So I don't whinge about the heat - walking in it, running OK - just don't ask me to lift weights at the same time!!!

So the occasional power cut is the price you pay when infrastructure is so stretched, just like the UK is stretched when leaves fall on the line???

BM

average 'austrailian' and your definition is?????

most live in cities and bitch when the infrastructure does not work...eg Sydney and the trains......., electrical storms and they lose power, etc etc....I never ever ever got my lap top fried in the UK. The power is shite in Aus and anyone reading this with a computer......BUY A POWER SURGE PROTECTOR......aus lecky is shite

Cheers
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:23 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread, i understand the lack of British sporting ability, no matter ,the odds, "when the going gets tough,the tough, get going"........... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.