Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:45 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Originally posted by DagBoy
But aren't you going back to the UK?

As I recall, every year in autumn the leaves fall off the trees and onto the railway line and all the trains are delayed.
Each year there is a little bit of cold weather and the trains are all delayed.
Sometimes there is hot weather and the tarmac on the roads melts and the train lines buckle so the trains are delayed.
Every year - usually some time in December, there will be a sudden cold snap and all the local councils act all surprised ("What? cold weather in winter - just like last year - golly!") then decide it is time to sort out their gritting trucks and meanwhile the country grinds to a halt for a few days.

Looks like Aus is not the only country that is behind the times

Are you and Mrs D on two seperate computers!!!

Yes I am returning than goodness. But as I said earlier the crisis for W.A if far worse than a few trains being late. We can all live with that, we cant live without electricity
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by janeyray
[
WHO WANTS TO RUN AROUND IN 40C!!!!!!

Slowly now repeat with me, Climate, lifestyle, outdoors, beach, weather, lifestyle,

Gotta go d I'd better do some work.
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you and Mrs D on two seperate computers!!!
Not only is he on a different computer, hes in a whole different country!

But yes, even when hes home, hes on a different computer. Hes an IT networking consultant, our house has more computers than most businesses
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by owieb
Not sure about kids, but my wife gets to come home if it gets to 28-30C in the office! It's currently 36.6C outside, so it shouldn't be long.

They are now handing out diet cokes in a bid to cool everyone down.

I bet she's praying for it to get hotter then!!

Just looked at my temp on the back and it says 40c, thats in the shade.:scared:
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:56 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

But how do we get by living without electricity?.
Use a manual respirator.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by NJFOZ
I agree - our local state school is the best our kids have been to. They have a/c. Their last aussie school was private and had no a/c.

Maybe its just a Melbourne thing!!!!!

Nope, both the pre-primaries we checked in the hills have A/C although it is off today. The teacher said they'll turn it on if the kids get unahppy.

I hope it lets up tomorrow, I've got an interview and I don't think a me melting in front of them will give the right impression

Dotty, Jack's uniform is this new sun protector fabric, do you know if it's any good?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:57 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Thats the difference tho, in the UK there are laws that regulate what's a safe temp to put up with. Are there laws in OZ that say you cant force a kid to sit in 40 degree heat? None of our kids have ever been sent home, last Friday I think it was 37 in the shade they had them practising a cross country! and playing cricket in full sun.

Someone in Perth said there kids got sent home, perhaps some sanity is coming in at last?
Christ...Do you ever stop whingeing.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Thats the difference tho, in the UK there are laws that regulate what's a safe temp to put up with. Are there laws in OZ that say you cant force a kid to sit in 40 degree heat? None of our kids have ever been sent home, last Friday I think it was 37 in the shade they had them practising a cross country! and playing cricket in full sun.

Someone in Perth said there kids got sent home, perhaps some sanity is coming in at last?
UK OH&S laws cover the school secretary but not the teachers or the pupils. Mum is a primary school teacher.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

WHO WANTS TO RUN AROUND IN 40C!!!!!!

Yes, I'am shouting now. I'am going to get a drink and calm down, count to 10 and maybe it'll all go away!
In a country this size it's not surprising there are infrastructure issues. Not that I think that WP is very effective at resolving them.

It's one of the facts of liiving in Oz which, when you migrate, you have to accept in the hope things will improve (which they are according to DOCEP statistics).

In the UK it anoyed me a lot more when gritters were not sent out, or trains could not run due to iced points. These things are preventable whereas WP has a finite supply of Gas from Bunbury and has to be cautious.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:11 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

WHO WANTS TO RUN AROUND IN 40C??????

Noone (except my neighbours son in self imposed footy training).

But if the kiddy winks are left to their own devices in air con schools, transported in air con cars to air con houses, they'll bloat with water and become lithargic prisoners trapped in air con malls.

Let them sweat it out and adapt or they'll become Weather Whingers.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs

In the UK it anoyed me a lot more when gritters were not sent out, or trains could not run due to iced points. These things are preventable whereas WP has a finite supply of Gas from Bunbury and has to be cautious.

Yes but, WP's job amongst others is to predict future demand growth, plan for it and build infrastructure like new power stations and additional transmission lines. They have put the build of two new power stations out to tender, they are yet to be built and will not be for some time yet. Given what is happening in WA at the moment I would think it is time to tender for another.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:19 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

(this is one of those threads that has drifted away & is now a different topic LOL)

I have a question for those who have kids in a/c schools. How many kids are in the school & how many classes & rooms have a/c? I can imagine if its a small country school with 3 composite classes or something but our school is only small (between 300-400 kids) & has about 15 classes, how can a school afford to a/c all of those class rooms?

We have a couple of a/c areas in our school (perhaps not surprisingly 2 of them are the staff room & the school office ), but I dont know how they could afford to a/c the whole school. Luckily it sits right at the top of a ridge overlooking the bay, so theres always a lovely breeze coming through, but it still gets bloody hot in the classrooms though!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
(this is one of those threads that has drifted away & is now a different topic LOL)

I have a question for those who have kids in a/c schools. How many kids are in the school & how many classes & rooms have a/c? I can imagine if its a small country school with 3 composite classes or something but our school is only small (between 300-400 kids) & has about 15 classes, how can a school afford to a/c all of those class rooms?

We have a couple of a/c areas in our school (perhaps not surprisingly 2 of them are the staff room & the school office ), but I dont know how they could afford to a/c the whole school. Luckily it sits right at the top of a ridge overlooking the bay, so theres always a lovely breeze coming through, but it still gets bloody hot in the classrooms though!

Local state school has just 300 students with average 20 per class.

Last school (private) was 600+ with average 28 per class.

Luck of the draw
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Local state school has just 300 students with average 20 per class.

Last school (private) was 600+ with average 28 per class.

Luck of the draw
NJ, so does each class have a seperate a/c unit or is there one (or more) large ones & a ducted system? Our school has about 5 different blocks of classrooms, just trying to work out how you could feasibly do it?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Despite my further digression at least the thread has maintained a relevance to the forums guidelines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.