Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:29 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Originally posted by renth
Our kids don't have it but the private school up the road which receives 3 times the amount per pupil in Federal Government subsidies does.
My daughter goes to a private school and only has fans. This morning she took a wet flannel and an ice pack to put on her face. They have been watching videos for the past few days because of the heat. Maybe they'll have to turn it off now, sit in the dark in front of their fans.

This country is so behind the times. Why a power shortage because of a few days of hotter weather, they had this heat lst year?. It's Australia for gods sake, it's hot!! If they can't sort it out now it will never be sorted. Thank god I'am going.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NJFOZ
I agree - our local state school is the best our kids have been to. They have a/c. Their last aussie school was private and had no a/c.

Maybe its just a Melbourne thing!!!!!
sssshhh N. We don't want 'em all coming here and spoiling it!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:33 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

The intercom system at Joseph's school is broken, so instead of fixing it, they've given all the teachers mobile phones! His teacher also had to buy all her own books so she could teach them.

Same funding problems the world over.

Jane
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
My daughter goes to a private school and only has fans. This morning she took a wet flannel and an ice pack to put on her face. They have been watching videos for the past few days because of the heat. Maybe they'll have to turn it off now, sit in the dark in front of their fans.

This country is so behind the times. Why a power shortage because of a few days of hotter weather, they had this heat lst year?. It's Australia for gods sake, it's hot!! If they can't sort it out now it will never be sorted. Thank god I'am going.

Suppose its a bit like english trains stopping when the leafs fall off the trees or it rains or it snows or it gets too hot................
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No Hevs - not with child. You should see the state of Lynn at the minute - she could market herself as a method of contraception!!

I have noticed moles on my sons body too and he always wears sun tops in the pool/beach so it must be down to sun through their clothes
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hehehe....on the next to last day of school the other week my daughter got sent home 2 hours early because the heating in school had broken down!!!!!! It was sooooo cold, the kids were running round the hall to keep warm, they were hypothermic by the time us parents got there!!!!!

its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!!!!!!!

sue
Thats the difference tho, in the UK there are laws that regulate what's a safe temp to put up with. Are there laws in OZ that say you cant force a kid to sit in 40 degree heat? None of our kids have ever been sent home, last Friday I think it was 37 in the shade they had them practising a cross country! and playing cricket in full sun.

Someone in Perth said there kids got sent home, perhaps some sanity is coming in at last?
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
As for kids in this heat, its primative.

The whole country is primative, I've had it today! Moan, moan, moan.

My daughter took a wet flannel to school, a water spray and an ice block to cool her down. How can they work in this. then as I was leaving they were getting the sports equipment out and setting it up in their field.

WHO WANTS TO RUN AROUND IN 40C!!!!!!

Yes, I'am shouting now. I'am going to get a drink and calm down, count to 10 and maybe it'll all go away!

Last edited by janeyray; Feb 18th 2004 at 1:38 am.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Janey, whilst I agree with how bloody stupid the lack of electricity is just because its hot, its not much different to there being no trains running cos there are leaves on the line or everything shutting down because of the snow in the UK. Its the UK, it gets cold. If they cant sort it out now, it will never be sorted.

same sh*t, different bucket.

Only difference is that luckily it doesnt seem to happen all over Australia. Almost everything that happens, happens in Perth. Ever thought maybe you are a jinx Janey?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:39 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

But aren't you going back to the UK?

As I recall, every year in autumn the leaves fall off the trees and onto the railway line and all the trains are delayed.
Each year there is a little bit of cold weather and the trains are all delayed.
Sometimes there is hot weather and the tarmac on the roads melts and the train lines buckle so the trains are delayed.
Every year - usually some time in December, there will be a sudden cold snap and all the local councils act all surprised ("What? cold weather in winter - just like last year - golly!") then decide it is time to sort out their gritting trucks and meanwhile the country grinds to a halt for a few days.

Looks like Aus is not the only country that is behind the times
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Suppose its a bit like english trains stopping when the leafs fall off the trees or it rains or it snows or it gets too hot................
oooooops snap LOL
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by DagBoy
But aren't you going back to the UK?

As I recall, every year in autumn the leaves fall off the trees and onto the railway line and all the trains are delayed.
Each year there is a little bit of cold weather and the trains are all delayed.
Sometimes there is hot weather and the tarmac on the roads melts and the train lines buckle so the trains are delayed.
Every year - usually some time in December, there will be a sudden cold snap and all the local councils act all surprised ("What? cold weather in winter - just like last year - golly!") then decide it is time to sort out their gritting trucks and meanwhile the country grinds to a halt for a few days.

Looks like Aus is not the only country that is behind the times
Working hard I see, so you can get home soon
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

No Hevs - not with child. You should see the state of Lynn at the minute - she could market herself as a method of contraception!!
you are sooooo cruel, hows her sense of humour holding up??
She said you all got excited the otherday, but then things stopped.
Maybe you could just pop her and put her out of her misery

PS. Mr and mrs D, i was gonna write that too!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:42 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Janey, whilst I agree with how bloody stupid the lack of electricity is just because its hot, its not much different to there being no trains running cos there are leaves on the line or everything shutting down because of the snow in the UK. Its the UK, it gets cold. If they cant sort it out now, it will never be sorted.

same sh*t, different bucket.

Only difference is that luckily it doesnt seem to happen all over Australia. Almost everything that happens, happens in Perth. Ever thought maybe you are a jinx Janey?
Yes if it snows the whole of the UK comes to a stop, but it's nothing to do with the electricity. We can get by if the bus doesn't turn up, we can get by if the train is late, we all get by when the heating doesn't work at school because they send the children home.

But how do we get by living without electricity?. It's a far worse crisis for W.A than a bit of late traffic due to snow in the UK.

Yes I have thought many a time about me being a jinx, I've had bad things happen wherever I seem to go! My boss at the horses says since I've worked there so many things have happened!!
:scared:
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cityrail isn't too shit hot at the moment. They tried to bring in a new timetable but forgot they didn't have enough drivers. Still nothing near as bad as commuting to waterloo.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:44 am
owieb

Originally posted by dotty
Are there laws in OZ that say you cant force a kid to sit in 40 degree heat?
Not sure about kids, but my wife gets to come home if it gets to 28-30C in the office! It's currently 36.6C outside, so it shouldn't be long.

They are now handing out diet cokes in a bid to cool everyone down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.