Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:03 am
WBB

Default Re: Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Originally posted by hevs
I'm gonna be contraversial (or at least i would be if i could spell it!!) and disagree whole heartedly on this one
New schools great. Kids love it. they work just as hard, but in a fun way. they are both going to camp! Oh and they have air con, which i might add is currently on
someone will be along soon to tell you that you are too new to know anything yet.....

Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

It ok, the hatches are battened down and i'm ready!!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
I personally think that all these cutbacks in the ed system are the same tactic as the push that went on to get people into private healthcare. Keep hacking away at the state schools, make it so publicised that the Private schools are getting all the funding then of course more and more people will go Private. No class system in OZ eh

As for kids in this heat, its primative. We have our mates 7 year old back for 2 weeks, he is begging us not to send him to school, it upsets me every morning but what can I do??, yesterday it was so much cooler and off he went quite happy. Hes aussie, born & bred but he hates the bloody heat so too the rest of his class according to the aussie teacher.
The classroom's tin roof doesn't help.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
I personally think that all these cutbacks in the ed system are the same tactic as the push that went on to get people into private healthcare. Keep hacking away at the state schools, make it so publicised that the Private schools are getting all the funding then of course more and more people will go Private. No class system in OZ eh

As for kids in this heat, its primative. We have our mates 7 year old back for 2 weeks, he is begging us not to send him to school, it upsets me every morning but what can I do??, yesterday it was so much cooler and off he went quite happy. Hes aussie, born & bred but he hates the bloody heat so too the rest of his class according to the aussie teacher.
Maybe another tax on electricity in QLD to pay for Air Con in schools. There was a story in the SMH the other day regarding schools that had air con but no funds to run them. I do find the direction of public funds towards private education rediculous.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
someone will be along soon to tell you that you are too new to know anything yet.....
Shouldn't you be in bed?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We have aircon but the bulk of the money raised for it was by sponsored events.

Even with that, my 2 are so hot and bothered by the time they get home from school, all they want to do is flop in front of the telly. One of them is supposed to have tennis lessons after school but these last 2 weeks he has missed them cos he was just too hot.

I also have a freckle/mole phobia about him at the minute, he seems to be getting more & more. I even dreamt last night I gave birth the a baby girl and she was just covered in huge moles! :scared: :scared:

Sorry, off the track... back to the leccy..off to put the kettle on!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:09 am
WBB

Originally posted by renth
Shouldn't you be in bed?
i should be, but i am half way through a 12 hour shift.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I do find the direction of public funds towards private education rediculous.
Thats what pisses me off the most. Private schools get extra funds anyway from the parent contributions & fees, why do they get anything up to 3 times more govt funding than state schools do as well?

Hevs, in alot of cases I think its more to do with where you live in than anything else.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
Maybe another tax on electricity in QLD to pay for Air Con in schools. There was a story in the SMH the other day regarding schools that had air con but no funds to run them. I do find the direction of public funds towards private education rediculous.
If the school asked me for say $10.00 a week over the summer period to pay for running of AC I'd gladly pay it, but sadly I think I might be in the minority.

But they dont run schools in Canberra without heating do they, so why not AC in the hot bits.

Hev I think you might be lucky with AC as Vic is freezing in winter, just a guess but is it a reverse cycle system? would probably have cost little more than heating alone. Or sometimes the parents fund raise, just thank your lucky stars anyway
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I even dreamt last night I gave birth the a baby girl and she was just covered in huge moles! :scared: :scared:

Are you pregnant aswell? or are you just having a sympathy birth with Lynn??
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

[i
Hev I think you might be lucky with AC as Vic is freezing in winter, just a guess but is it a reverse cycle system? would probably have cost little more than heating alone. Or sometimes the parents fund raise, just thank your lucky stars anyway
OH MY GOD! i don't know. You QL and WA lot will get you're own back when i'm complaining about the kids going to school in fingerless gloves just so they can write
Will check it out later!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We have aircon but the bulk of the money raised for it was by sponsored events.

Even with that, my 2 are so hot and bothered by the time they get home from school, all they want to do is flop in front of the telly. One of them is supposed to have tennis lessons after school but these last 2 weeks he has missed them cos he was just too hot.

I also have a freckle/mole phobia about him at the minute, he seems to be getting more & more. I even dreamt last night I gave birth the a baby girl and she was just covered in huge moles! :scared: :scared:

Re the moles, I did not realise this, spent years just covering kids in sunblock on the bits where the skin was exposed. Then we get a skin cancer at age 14, on the back, well riding the bikes to school the sun is blazing into their skin, and unknown to me the harmful rays go straight through most fabrics, especially thin white school shirts. Anyway cancer removed, no malignancy but sunblock should be under the clothes as well.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cackle, Chortle, Chuckle, Gaffaw, Giggle, Hysterics, Hoot, Holler, Snigger, Snort, Titter
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Might as well have moved to Nigeria

I'm gonna be contraversial (or at least i would be if i could spell it!!) and disagree whole heartedly on this one
New schools great. Kids love it. they work just as hard, but in a fun way. they are both going to camp! Oh and they have air con, which i might add is currently on

I agree - our local state school is the best our kids have been to. They have a/c. Their last aussie school was private and had no a/c.

Maybe its just a Melbourne thing!!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

OH MY GOD! i don't know. You QL and WA lot will get you're own back when i'm complaining about the kids going to school in fingerless gloves just so they can write
Will check it out later!

hehehe....on the next to last day of school the other week my daughter got sent home 2 hours early because the heating in school had broken down!!!!!! It was sooooo cold, the kids were running round the hall to keep warm, they were hypothermic by the time us parents got there!!!!!

its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!!!!!!!

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.