Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Might as well have moved to Nigeria

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
As you say, that right has been 'earnt' I suppose in that respect.

Badge (amused that he has created a mini controversy).

Badge I still don't truly understand your point. Are you suggesting you must have done hard labour to be able to complain about poor infrastructure? I did a paper round as a lad, what has that 'earnt' me the right to complain about?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Badge I still don't truly understand your point. Are you suggesting you must have done hard labour to be able to complain about poor infrastructure? I did a paper round as a lad, what has that 'earnt' me the right to complain about?
People who don't control their dogs?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:36 pm
Badge

All I was saying is that a country like Australia is not primitive just because it has a power outage. That is why power companies should rebate pro-rata for outages, but it doesn't mean the end of civilisation.

Then, I argued that on a more basic level, it is a miracle we get stuff like that anyhow.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 19th 2004 at 1:02 am.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If Australia wants to attract manufacturing industry that requires 24/7 power then it needs to think about its infrastructure. There have been too many recent incidents that question the wisdom of operating in Australia.
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

A FORECAST 38C maximum in Brisbane tomorrow has prompted the Queensland Teachers Union to advise parents to keep their children home from school and sparked a four-hour work stoppage by Brisbane City Council bus drivers.

The teachers' union advised that on days of extreme heat children were better off staying at home, and both parents and teachers say the State Government's "cooler schools" program – which has air-conditioned many country schools – should be extended statewide.

The call has been rejected by Education Minister Anna Bligh, who also dispelled the widespread myth that classes were cancelled when the mercury hits 40C.

Ms Bligh said it would cost $465 million to install air-conditioning in schools across the state, and a further $87 million a year to maintain the system.

If OZ cant afford to give its kids some humane conditions to learn in it would have to be up to the parents, a levy perhaps, stick it on the leccy bill, I'd pay it happily.

Or what about looking at areas where money is wasted, competitive sport, know what I think is more important.

Its beyond a joke. Move to Canada and send your kids to school in minus 40 without heating, it just would not happen would it?
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

What's a few hours without electricity to someone who has lived years without any? Now power cuts that stop you earning a quid to pay for the electricity when it comes back on - that is another matter.

Last edited by Megalania; Feb 18th 2004 at 11:44 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:43 pm
Badge

No Jayr,
I didn't say that. I said that
a) it is not the end of the world just because there is a power shortage. If there is, then fix it and move on - the beancounters in accounts have to rebate our bills, or indeed, raise them to pay for better infrastructure, as Dotty says.
b) it is very hard in a country like Australia to keep infrastructure going- in some ways, Australia IS primitive. That is the wonder of this country, people turned it around from desert to a First World country in 200 years - an amazing track record.

I used my own employment as an example - this is the reality. Made me realise who has to work hard to give everyone else their creature comforts. It's not all about bean counting and accounts and systems, its about what happens on the frontline.

That's all I said.

Seeing as you want to get in to the chit chat about earning 'rights', I don't really want to measure the value of this conversation in this regard ;-) though I would perhaps say there are takers in this world and givers; I like to think I have given my fair share of giving.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 18th 2004 at 11:53 pm.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:43 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
If Australia wants to attract manufacturing industry that requires 24/7 power then it needs to think about its infrastructure. There have been too many recent incidents that question the wisdom of operating in Australia.
Not a lot of point in attracting manufacturing industry right at the moment is there?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

yes, but all I was saying is that a country like Australia is not primitive just because it has a power outage. That is why power companies should rebate pro-rata for outages, but it doesn't mean the end of civilisation.

Then, I argued that on a more basic level, it is a miracle we get stuff like that anyhow.

Badge

I would agree that primitve is the wrong word. Its also not much of a miracle either, just the reserves of energy deposited from the sun and a bit of engineering. It ain't supplied by the gods you know
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Not a lot of point in attracting manufacturing industry right at the moment is there?
Are you referring to the FTA?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:50 pm
Badge

I would agree that primitve is the wrong word. Its also not much of a miracle either, just the reserves of energy deposited from the sun and a bit of engineering. It ain't supplied by the gods you know
ok - go out and make it happen. You do it, I'll come along and watch!!

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:51 pm
Karma Comedian

No Jayr,
I didn't say that. I said that
a) it is not the end of the world just because there is a power shortage. .
b) it is very hard in a country like Australia to keep infrastructure going.

a)true, I don't mind the ones caused by natural events (had plenty recently with Brisbane storms), its the ones caused by bad planning that are annoying
b)also true, dense but geographically remote populations do mean significantly more high cost infrastructure is required than in countries like the UK. You will need more power stations, transmission lines, roads etc by head of popluation here I would think simply due to having pockets of 3-4M people. But thats what we pay our taxes and electricity bills to provide.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:52 pm
Banned

The stuff badgers worked on: the demand for the output of the mines and farms of Australia are causing the $A to rise and killing off the mills of Australia. It is cheaper to import foreign mill output.

The FTA is a minor sideplay.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:53 pm
Karma Comedian

The F****d Trade Agreement?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:58 pm
Badge

a)true, I don't mind the ones caused by natural events (had plenty recently with Brisbane storms), its the ones caused by bad planning that are annoying
b)also true, dense but geographically remote populations do mean significantly more high cost infrastructure is required than in countries like the UK. You will need more power stations, transmission lines, roads etc by head of popluation here I would think simply due to having pockets of 3-4M people. But thats what we pay our taxes and electricity bills to provide.

yup! Anyhow I've had my intellectual fix this morning, so I'll get down off my soap box. it's better than daytime TV!! G'Day to you all.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.