Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:11 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Are the Aussies fed up with Poms?

Originally Posted by Badge
\

Indeed! cheers mate. You know something, my brother arrived in Australia almost off the plane from 2 tours in Iraq and the first thing about Australians he said was, generally, that they reminded him of soldiers - the same cameradie, relaxed but switched on attitude.
Hence why we`ve got such a good rep as fighters.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: fed up with uk

Originally Posted by Merlot
Our personal experience for me & hubby, no kids is that Australia we got more for our money and I could afford to work part time, here I possibly could if we wanted to eat fresh air and have no loo roll

I sincerely agree with the senitment of the UK being nothing but bloody bills.

M
I got to page 3 on this thread, and decided no time to read the rest, we've been down at Seaword Nara Resort, so i've missed three days on here !!

Anyway... just thought i'd mention that if we were to move back to the UK, we would both need to be working to provide the lifestyle that we have here with just one working.

UK isn't perfect, and nor is Australia, but on balance Australia wins for us.

Don't overlook the good UK bits, like Free Childrens health care. It is something that will nag you when you begin to pay for prescriptions etc., for your kids. But now I just think of the other good things we get here as compensation

Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:19 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hence why we`ve got such a good rep as fighters.
lol. The Brits love working with the Aussies. The Yanks and the European armies don't get a ''look in'' by comparison - they are so different culturally.

It's funny, this thing explains one of the reasons why I can get my head around some of the Aussie pschye - you just cannot explain it to a lot of people. You either get it or you don't. Time and time again I see people criticise Australians, a lot of the cultural element is completely lost or more accurately, *misunderstood* by them.

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:23 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bondipom
Luckily I work for a company where over 50% of the workers seem to be migrants and 25% 1st generation. This goes through to senior management . There still is a glass ceiling for women but being a migrant does not hold you back where I work. This is an exception though.
The industry I work in is *dominated* by immigrants. Hell, half the Aussie population is from somewhere else, so I fail to see how being a migrant would hold you back. Attitude might, country of birth won't.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:34 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I have a laid-back attitude, which I think most Aussies do. I didn`t grow up totally in Aus though, so I don`t know whether it`s some cultural thing I grabbed hold of by 7 (when I left Aus), or if it`s something I knew we had the rep for and subconsciously adopted. Strange. I think Aussies are just more fatalistic about life, so don`t worry about it as much.

I was in the Army reserve in Oz when I returned as a teen. I know the good rep we have from the Boer Wars, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq. The British and Aus forces are very good generally, whereas the yank marines (at least recently) don`t have the best rep (except for their special forces).

I was told by an Army officer that Indonesia is Australia`s biggest threat, due to the overpopulation of millions of muslims and the type of regime there.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:22 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Most of the time if an Aussie is taking the piss its because they like you. If they didn't like you then they would ignore you completely. You'd know it.

It sounds stupid, but Aussies can often 'home in' on the very sorts of people that they know can't take it..it's weird - but even that's not a nasty thing, they're trying to be inclusive and teach that person to relax more. So the jokes either mean they like you, or they're trying to convert you. Australians like to give everyone a go to prove themselves.
NEWSFLASH: TRY TAKING THE PISS OUT OF AUSSIES: YOU WILL SOOON SEE THE CHILDISH BRAT FEELING DEEPLY WOUNDED APPEAR. ALSO AUSSIES DON"T KNOW WHEN TO STOP, THEY JUST KEEP ON GOING, AND WONDER WHY PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE IMMATURE ASSHOLES, LACKING SENSITIVITY AND RESPECT FOR OTHERS, AT TIMES.

TRY ASKING ANY KIWI IN THIS COUNTRY ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF SHIT THEY GET BUT THEY AUSSIES CAN'T TAKE (AND THEY SAY WE CAN'T TAKE A JOKE!!!)
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kiwichild
NEWSFLASH: TRY TAKING THE PISS OUT OF AUSSIES: YOU WILL SOOON SEE THE CHILDISH BRAT FEELING DEEPLY WOUNDED APPEAR. ALSO AUSSIES DON"T KNOW WHEN TO STOP, THEY JUST KEEP ON GOING, AND WONDER WHY PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE IMMATURE ASSHOLES, LACKING SENSITIVITY AND RESPECT FOR OTHERS, AT TIMES.

TRY ASKING ANY KIWI IN THIS COUNTRY ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF SHIT THEY GET BUT THEY AUSSIES CAN'T TAKE (AND THEY SAY WE CAN'T TAKE A JOKE!!!)
Come on, only jokes Kiwis know are about Aussies.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:03 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooperhome

I also feel now that the lay-abouts in this country are the ones that are benefitting. In some cases I can understand why they don't want to do anything or succeed.
This is much the same in Australia. The government here in Victoria is in the process of instigating a plan to ship in X,000's of workers from china for labouring jobs as the people on the doll here have got it too good and don't want to get off their arse's and work.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:40 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Blimey, never seen as many handbags in one place

If only Mike Stanton wasn't barred or ignored or whatever he is now.. He would have been in his element on this thread!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:42 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janeyray
MMmmmm but they dont see it as the same all over the world. Most are so desperate and caught up with the 'emmigration ball rolling' syndrome that they can't wait to leave the UK and want to leave NOW..Most think that going to OZ will:

help solve problems
give them more cash
they'll have a better quality of life
a beach/holiday lifestyle
a more outdoorsy way of life (even though most have never set foot in a pair of running trainers)
a larger house
a pool
a larger car (4x4)
better education
fewer immigrants
better health care
less hours at work (?)
work to live (?) not live to work
and it goes on and on and on.

and all of the above I put my hand up to. I freely and happily admit I was one of those..'can't wait to leave.. the UK is useless' people. Planning to go to another country is a great exciting experience and good luck to all thoses doing it! BUT most issues bought up about the UK go for any counrty in the world. Everywhere has it's good and bad points.
I dont often see or hear of anyone leaving the UK for another country 'just for the fun of it, to have an adventure or just to try something new?
]

I dont often see or hear of anyone leaving the UK for another country 'just for the fun of it, to have an adventure or just to try something new" quote

well, here is one who did it for those reasons of just for the "adventure" - now 13 years later. I have always taken things as they are, and have no intention of not going back to the UK to live and die

And that's why I can not relate to the majority on this board, who think the grass is always greener and blame the weather, blame the gov etc etc, blame where they are livng in a certain part of the Uk instead of looking at themselves.

reasons for leaving the Uk in first place with the job to set up in Asia, then here in Aus - the challenge, the fun of it , for the pure hell of it , to see the world , and for the pure nose. (And a very good hard to turn down expatriate package of course helped) Never was it for forever, or to change our lives which we were perfectly happy with anyway. only in the respect of having a challenge and a pure nose. And have lasted a lot longer than some people who do it to escape things, and thinking the grass is greener - because it is not.

I was and am perfectly happy with my home back in the UK , but there again I do come from a beautiful area of the coast, and never sat cooped up in house moaning about this and that. Never has weather stopped me doing anything. I don't watch much Tv here, and I never did in the Uk either. People are people they blame everyone except themselves for their lives. And I do think that is why some people don't last in another country , they are looking for something which does not exist, they need to look at themselves to change their lives, get a diff job, move out of your built up city etc etc . All countries have problems - and Aus is no diff to the UK in that respect, some worse.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 18th 2005 at 4:08 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:54 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Ceri
]

I dont often see or hear of anyone leaving the UK for another country 'just for the fun of it, to have an adventure or just to try something new" quote

well, here is one who did it for that reason - now 13 years later, but take things are they are, and have no intention of not going back to the UK to live and die

And that's why I can not relate to the majority on this board, who think the grass is always greener and blame the weather, blame the gov etc etc, instead of looking at themselves.

reasons for leaving the Uk in first place with the job to set up in Asia, then here in Aus - the challenge, the fun of it , for the pure hell of it , to see the world , and for the pure nose. And a very good hard to turn down expatriate package of course helped, never was it for forever, or to change our lives. only in the respect of having a challenge and a pure nose.

I was and am perfectly happy with my home back in the UK , but there again I do come from a beautiful area of the coast. And never has weather stopped me doing anything. I don't watch much Tv here, and I never did in the Uk either. People are people they blame everyone except themselves for their lives. And I do think that is why some people don't last in another country , they are looking for something which does not exist, they need to look at themselves to change their lives. All countries have problems - and Aus is no diff to the UK in that respect, some worse.

Cheers
so true Ceri. I especially like the bit about not watching TV - I never used to.

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:58 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by kiwichild

I have, and we all had a laugh.
If I met one that was immature then I would put it down to the person. If I met anyone who never knew when to stop, well, they soon get the message, the chances are everyone has the same opinion.

It's a Kiwi thing, obviously, which I am first to admit I don't understand.
Maybe its like the Sydney vs Melbourne argument.

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Most think that going to OZ will:

help solve problems
give them more cash
they'll have a better quality of life
a beach/holiday lifestyle
a more outdoorsy way of life (even though most have never set foot in a pair of running trainers)
a larger house
a pool
a larger car (4x4)
better education
fewer immigrants
better health care
less hours at work (?)
work to live (?) not live to work
and it goes on and on and on.

Hmmm, the only two things I didn't get are:
a pool (but i'm working on that now)
a larger car 4x4 (I don't actually want one)

This quote made me think a bit, especially as I never did own any running trainers, but now do, and even a bike

I must be one of the really lucky ones

Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:31 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hmmm, the only two things I didn't get are:
a pool (but i'm working on that now)
a larger car 4x4 (I don't actually want one)

This quote made me think a bit, especially as I never did own any running trainers, but now do, and even a bike

I must be one of the really lucky ones
I didn't post that - it was Janeyray giving examples ( quote " Most think that going to OZ will")
what some people think what life in Aus is like, reasons why they want to move to Aus , before they move/live here

well I must be lucky in life, and the examples Janeyray gave did not apply to me , not one of those reasons is why we are here, but applys to many on this forum. It was at the bottom of her message which applied to me , that she hadn't seen manyleft Britain for the "adventage, fun of it" - and I said here is one.

I had all that in the UK, so I was "lucky" there too ( luck has nothing to do with it by the way) - beaches ( I come from where they have real beaches, real rugged coastline - there is is not a real beach here in brisbane)
I come fromm a large home in the Uk , and a very large garden - wasn't in the slightest bit small

fewer immigrants ( don't really care, I'd rather live next to a chinese etc person than a whinging pom family from hell) - there is more immigrants in Brisbane than where I came from by far, especially English people

Better health care -definitely not , having experienced both. And having no faith in it here, from nearly loosing a leg with the tw@ts here because nobody could diagnose an obvious thing at the beginning.

less hour at work - again no

more outdoorsey life -it was an outdoorsey life I had in the Uk - I grew up on the beaches and climbing mountains.. just walking for miles.

not work to live - of course you work to live through out your working life ( unless you're the scrounging no good for nothing royal family that is), or we'd all be down centrelink claiming dole , or scrounging out of rubbish bins for food.

I have no more here than I had in the UK. And for the life of me I wish someone would show me a real beach in Brisbane , it hasn't got any.

P.s I lived down Southside near "bayside" for years before moving Northside , near manly to be more accurate.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 18th 2005 at 5:22 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:41 pm
ABCDiamond

fewer immigrants ( don't really care, I'd rather live next to a chinese etc person than a whinging pom family from hell)
Agreed, I must admit there would be some British people that are always complaining that I wouldn't fancy living next door to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.