Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:11 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future
Default Re: fed up with uk

Originally Posted by Stormz
There`s a BIG difference. Immigration in the UK isn`t properly controlled.
Immigration in Aus is.

Nothing wrong with people immigrating anywhere, as long as they enhance the country, not bring it down.
So why are they still letting all you poms in? I thought we'd learnt our lesson years ago
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Nope, you are not alone, most of the tabloid press are right with you.

There are just as many "bludgers" in Oz as in the UK.

The "tax credit" system is for people who work (and hence pay taxes). Not even the Victorians objected to helping the "working poor"; they were seen as worthy even then.

You complain about those who don't "contribute to society" but from what you've said, you have a successful business and have done well (like lots of us) through the good fortune of having your house explode in value. Personally, I don't count paying taxes as a great contribution to society. The teaching and medical professions are the ones who make the most contribution in my book.
You missed my point, in contributing to society I mean just generally being part of the workforce, and I am not objecting to helping the 'working poor'. Far from it, but there are a lot of people who really take advantage of the system because they can. There have been a couple of occasions when I have used help myself from the government. Those people who need it I have no problem with. The system needs reviewing.

PS - This is not my reason for leaving the UK, just something I find annoying.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by worzel
I do know what you mean. But Australia has similar problems in my limited (2 months) experience and from what I have read.

Australians suffered the most from the Bali bombings. As a fellow member of the coalition that went into Iraq they are also a target. They also have a hotbed of anti-Western feeling close by in Indonesia etc.

Worzel

I know that there are problems all over the world but I no longer have the safety blanket that once came with living in the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:25 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pako
I dont often see or hear of anyone leaving the UK for another country 'just for the fun of it, to have an adventure or just to try something new?
I'm leaving the UK so that my husband can go home and spend some quality time with his family, after 7 years in the UK he deserves it. I want to get to know his family better also. We're not all leaving because we hate the UK or wanting an idealistic life elsewhere. People have many different reasons for leaving. Peoples situations are not black and white...there are many shades of grey.

You may not hear some peoples points of view as some of us prefer to remain out of all the petty arguements and just take posts for what they are.....just peoples points of view...some of us are lurkers [/QUOTE]

It's good when you have family over there too. Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you and your family
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:46 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are the Aussies fed up with Poms?

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Not what I have found, got good Aus friends over here and in Aus.

As for the butt of the Aussie joke, you could say that about the Irish from an English prospective, just jokes at the end of the day ! I'm not sure, but the Irish might even have a few good ones about Scots, who knows !!

As for the "not liking the British", maybe it was something you was doing ?
I made some good Aussie friends too, two I email regularly and will remain good friends. I suppose you get 'strange' people anywhere in the world.

I do think though the Aussies prefer to employ 'their own' rather than employ a British person. It wasn't just what I found, also expat friends I made whilst in Perth found it difficult to get work and we sometimes 'felt' if we were Aussie we would stand a better chance? Then again it was the same if we had children. I was asked time and time again at interviews if I had children..Why I wanted to ask, does it make me unemployable????
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Why are Brits so negative about their own country? Yes, there are problems, but many of them are due to the success of the country, especially the economy, making it TOO popular. .
. Why can't Brits be more proud of what we have like the Aussies? The negativity rubs off on us all and brings us all down.
I agree with this statement so much. Itruly believe that in Britain we just think we have it bad because our media tells us so in order to sell papers.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:28 am
Merlot

Blimey, never seen as many handbags in one place

Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:19 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
"So long kids, have a nice life. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to visit you once every couple of years. Hope you can do the same. Sorry I won't be there for you, but I couldn't resist moving to Oz and buying a house for cash."

Call me sentimental, but I'd rather not be saying that to my kids in 10 or 15 years time. That's what I fear would occur if I went back to Oz.
STFU Spuds, when you don`t know what you`re talking about. We don`t have a house here. We won`t have a house there until we work hard to get it. We`re going back so our 11 month old and the baby due in Sep will actually have a proper family life and grow up knowing their grandparents and uncles/aunts/cousins in Perth.

If it was just us on our own we would be staying here where I have a decent job. We`re going back as the best thing for family life.

People are so *****ing quick to jump in with judgements on this f*king forum without knowing or asking about the facts.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hooperhome
I wasn't going to contribute either to this thread but anyway.....

I am not particularly negative about the UK but I cannot wait to leave. We have got it pretty good over here. But to have it pretty good we have to work all hours running our own business and to do that we seem to be missing out on our young family growing so quickly. We want to spend time with our children and I know that a new life down under will give us that. In some respect we will benefit from the soaring house prices and a business that has become a nightmare in that our sales of house and business will give us a head start when we reach Australia.

However there are some things that concern me:-

Up till a couple of years ago I would have also said that we live in one of the safest countries. However I now have my doubts. Who knows what is round the corner after we pallied up with America!

I also feel now that the lay-abouts in this country are the ones that are benefitting. In some cases I can understand why they don't want to do anything or succeed. You can get so much with family tax credit and child tax credit that there is not much incentive to contribute to society when they will just give it to you anyway. Sometimes it seems that the more successful you are the more you are penalised. In successful, I don't just mean financially but being an honest and up-standing member of the community. What I am trying to say is that this country is an easy ride for those that want it, only it's all the good people that are paying for it.

Am I alone in my thoughts....?
They call the layabouts bludgers here. Plenty of them as well. I have never claimed benefits anywhere so can't compare the 2 countries generosity however Australians comlain about the same. Same crap here for the easy ride.

What do you intend on doing for a living that will make your life easier?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

This one got me thinking a bit. I have previously heard (but never verified) that approximately 25% of kiwis and up to 30% of Irish (ROI) live abroad so 1/20th didn't sound too bad. I then started wondering what the figures might be for the UK. I came across a couple of links quoting the FCO as saying (in 2002) that there are 15 million Britons living overseas, or approximately 20%.

See http://fpc.org.uk/articles/194 for more details - there are other links as well.
Yours astounded
Alistair
Interesting stuff. The Kiwis and Irish are certainly famed wanderers of the world which is unsuprising considering the size of their economies.

Half my life I have been one of the overseas Brits.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:49 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
Blimey, never seen as many handbags in one place
Yeah - should we put 'em all in a big pile in the middle & start dancing round them, eh Merlot...?

Anya.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
A word to the wise.... leave attitudes like this at home if you want to get along with people in Oz. Aussies are pretty sensitive to comments like those. No history? Tell that to the original inhabitants. No culture? Of course there's bloody culture! It just doesn't revolve around old buildings, art galleries, dingy pubs or museums.....(i.e. it isn't the same culture you left) I've been hearing immigrants from the UK say stuff like that for 20 years and its wearing very thin. Strangely enough, I've never heard any Italian, Greek, Slav, Vietnamese, Chinese.... etc immigrants say the same.

If you're going to Oz with the attitude that you will build a better life and you have something to contribute to society then great, you will make a lot of friends. If you're immigrating so you can 'take' a better life then think twice. Australia isn't perfect, you need to work at life there too. Grrrr..

Now, calming down a little and changing the subject slightly... don't underestimate the effects of 'culture shock'. From personal experience, it really kicks in around the two year mark and can really get you down.

Soi Oz.
I remember when an Australian here said "we have 200 years of proud history". I guess she forgot about the original inhabitants.

There is culture here but the cultured do cringe at the dominance of sport in recreational activity.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:58 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yeah - should we put 'em all in a big pile in the middle & start dancing round them, eh Merlot...
Mine`s big black and pink with studs.......
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:01 am

Default Re: Are the Aussies fed up with Poms?

Originally Posted by janeyray
I made some good Aussie friends too, two I email regularly and will remain good friends. I suppose you get 'strange' people anywhere in the world.

I do think though the Aussies prefer to employ 'their own' rather than employ a British person. It wasn't just what I found, also expat friends I made whilst in Perth found it difficult to get work and we sometimes 'felt' if we were Aussie we would stand a better chance? Then again it was the same if we had children. I was asked time and time again at interviews if I had children..Why I wanted to ask, does it make me unemployable????
Luckily I work for a company where over 50% of the workers seem to be migrants and 25% 1st generation. This goes through to senior management . There still is a glass ceiling for women but being a migrant does not hold you back where I work. This is an exception though.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:14 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yeah - should we put 'em all in a big pile in the middle & start dancing round them, eh Merlot...?

Anya.
Come on those dancing around the handbags, join in after 1 . . 2 . . 3

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

You can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal,
You can do what about you feel ...

Young man, are you listening to me?
I said, young man, what do you want to be?
I said, young man, you can make real your dreams.
But you got to know this one thing!

No man does it all by himself.
I said, young man, put your pride on the shelf,
And just go there, to the y.m.c.a.
I'm sure they can help you today.

You can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal,
You can do what about you feel ...

Young man, I was once in your shoes.
I said, I was down and out with the blues.
I felt no man cared if I were alive.
I felt the whole world was so tight ...

That's when someone came up to me,
And said, young man, take a walk up the street.
There's a place there called the y.m.c.a.
They can start you back on your way.

Y-m-c-a ... you'll find it at the y-m-c-a.

Young man, young man, there's no need to feel down.
Young man, young man, get yourself off the ground.

Y-m-c-a ... you'll find it at the y-m-c-a.

Young man, young man, there's no need to feel down.
Young man, young man, get yourself off the ground.

Y-m-c-a ... just go to the y-m-c-a.

Young man, young man, are you listening to me?
Young man, young man, what do you wanna be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.