Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:19 am
Badge

Default Re: Are the Aussies fed up with Poms?

Originally Posted by janeyray
I think most of the Aussies show us their feelings when we are the butt of their jokes at the bbqs! We certainly felt up against it in more ways than one ..sometimes. Take it or leave it but the Aussies dont like the British
Most of the time if an Aussie is taking the piss its because they like you. If they didn't like you then they would ignore you completely. You'd know it.

Some people seem to get it and know how to work with it, others fail, otherwise how would people report that they are friendly with Aussies? Hey I was even old I was *well liked* in a community.

It sounds stupid, but Aussies can often 'home in' on the very sorts of people that they know can't take it..it's weird - but even that's not a nasty thing, they're trying to be inclusive and teach that person to relax more. So the jokes either mean they like you, or they're trying to convert you. Australians like to give everyone a go to prove themselves.

I remember once my best man was in a anti-Pommie mood - the jokes were coming thick and thin, and I wasn't even listening, he was clearly bored. Then he came up to me, punched me in the arm and said, "mate, I really like you, in fact we all like you, you know that, don't you". I just winked at him and told to stop being a bloody idiot. Even his wife's Dad told me I was part of the family.

Your last statement is extremely sweeping Janeyray. :scared: I don't know what to say(!)

Last edited by Badge; Apr 18th 2005 at 10:30 am.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: fed up with uk

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:26 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge
Most of the time if an Aussie is taking the piss its because they like you. If they didn't like you then they would ignore you completely. You'd know it.

Your last statement is extremely sweeping Janeyray. :scared:
Just following on, I didn't have too many problems with the Ozzies over there, I used have a bit of fun poked at my accent but all done in the best possible taste.

In fact I was probably very lucky in work situations as I found the office environments 10 times more welcoming than those I have found on my return to Blighty.

Not sure if it is a Teesside "thing" or across the UK. I have found in my experiences of temping back in the UK a general feeling of "Can't be arsed attitude" from colleagues.

I found the places I worked at in Australia, even as a temp more bouyant, positive and friendly. I also felt more respected. I have only really come to realise that, funny isn't it.

Maybe I am just turning into a crabbie old tart over in Blighty

M

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Just following on, I didn't have too many problems with the Ozzies over there, I used have a bit of fun poked at my accent but all done in the best possible taste.

In fact I was probably very lucky in work situations as I found the office environments 10 times more welcoming than those I have found on my return to Blighty.

Not sure if it is a Teesside "thing" or across the UK. I have found in my experiences of temping back in the UK a general feeling of "Can't be arsed attitude" from colleagues.

I found the places I worked at in Australia, even as a temp more bouyant, positive and friendly. I also felt more respected. I have only really come to realise that, funny isn't it.

Maybe I am just turning into a crabbie old tart over in Blighty

M
I have found them more friendy on a superficial level which is great as a temp. Temping in Britain was much lonelier. I just find the English take their time over developing frisndships.

Instead of the "I can't be arsed" it is "she'll be alright mate" attitude in Oz. Sadly that attititude has some serious OH&S consequences including death.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:33 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
I have found them more friendy on a superficial level which is great as a temp. Temping in Britain was much lonelier. I just find the English take their time over developing frisndships.

Instead of the "I can't be arsed" it is "she'll be alright mate" attitude in Oz. Sadly that attititude has some serious OH&S consequences including death.
This is true I guess, like the big hug thing I found hard at first working in Oz, everyone treats you like you are related straight away where as the Brits are more reserved.

It is down to what you get used too, I was spoiled in my last two permanent jobs in Oz as I worked with a great bunch which was a bonus as I was 12,000 miles from my family.

M

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:34 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Gawd, I think I was at that do

Bring on Peter Kay!

M

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
Gawd, I think I was at that do

Bring on Peter Kay!

M
LOL
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormz
STFU Spuds, when you don`t know what you`re talking about. We don`t have a house here. We won`t have a house there until we work hard to get it. We`re going back so our 11 month old and the baby due in Sep will actually have a proper family life and grow up knowing their grandparents and uncles/aunts/cousins in Perth.
I was referring to my situation, which is why I said: "That's what I fear would occur if I went back to Oz". Your situation sounds similar in terms of family ties and I know exactly what you mean about grandparents, believe me.

You're not the only one on here to mention the idea of kids returning to the UK if they needed to do so in order to progress their careers. I don't want my kids to be dependent on me all their lives, far from it, but by the same token I would feel bad if I took them to a country where they felt they had no choice but leave in order to further their ambitions.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:53 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I was referring to my situation, which is why I said: "That's what I fear would occur if I went back to Oz". Your situation sounds similar in terms of family ties and I know exactly what you mean about grandparents, believe me.

You're not the only one on here to mention the idea of kids returning to the UK if they needed to do so in order to progress their careers. I don't want my kids to be dependent on me all their lives, far from it, but by the same token I would feel bad if I took them to a country where they felt they had no choice but leave in order to further their ambitions.
Sorry if I got your comment wrong spuds. Like I said we`d stay here if we could, so it`s hard to go back to somewhere I`m not really that interested in, but know it`s the best thing as a family ie my wife`s immediate family are there (so is my Mum but I don`t talk to her). Our kids will have both passports so have the choice to do whatever they want when they`re older. If we become successful in Aus then we may be able to come back to the UK one day once the grandparents pass away.

The closer it get`s to leaving the UK the touchier I`m getting I guess.

I`ll grab me handbag now.....
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:02 pm
Badge

What has developing friendships got to do with health and safety Bondi? I think you are so keen to try to be balanced you forget yourself.

Hey I arrived on the scene of a car accident just now and the man said he was OK, the situation was OK. I still called out my brigade on the advice of my captain. Aussies are quite capable of getting to grips with a
situation. It's precisely why they take the piss out of procrastinating poms. I'm talking about social situations where people are relaxing. Like someone once said, Aussies can smell fear and indecision a mile away; they're quite happy to teach a "relax, but have a can-do attitude".

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:14 pm

What has developing friendships got to do with health and safety Bondi? I think you are so keen to try to be balanced you forget yourself.

Hey I arrived on the scene of a car accident just now and the man said he was OK, the situation was OK. I still called out my brigade on the advice of my captain. Aussies are quite capable of getting to grips with a
situation. It's precisely why they take the piss out of procrastinating poms. I'm talking about social situations where people are relaxing. Like someone once said, Aussies can smell fear and indecision a mile away; they're quite happy to teach a "relax, but have a can-do attitude".

Badge
I was comparing the different attitudes in the work place. She'll be alright attitude compared to the can't be arsed English. Getting some people to finish a job is a pain in the proverbial. In my experience there is little difference on the procrastination front.

As for the OH&S

Oh that pressure is a bit high

answer

She'll be alright.

Kaboom.

Doesn't matter in IT but in building, engineering etc it causes accidents. I have been privy to some of the internal reports after some of the gas plant explosions and the attitudes are disgusting from top to bottom. Procrastination and turning a blind eye were part of the work culture that lead to several deaths in both cases. The explosions also lead to closure of industry in several states.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:44 pm
Badge

I was comparing the different attitudes in the work place. She'll be alright attitude compared to the can't be arsed English. Getting some people to finish a job is a pain in the proverbial. In my experience there is little difference on the procrastination front.

As for the OH&S

Oh that pressure is a bit high

answer

She'll be alright.

Kaboom.

Doesn't matter in IT but in building, engineering etc it causes accidents. I have been privy to some of the internal reports after some of the gas plant explosions and the attitudes are disgusting from top to bottom. Procrastination and turning a blind eye were part of the work culture that lead to several deaths in both cases. The explosions also lead to closure of industry in several states.
Actually I like your can't be arsed v the she''ll be right.

The blind eye happens in the UK too, when the planes hit the towers in 911, did people evacuate Canary Wharf? I would have taken the rest of the day off. It's a work culture thing the world over; everyone at work has to fight being jaded...

The Aussie She'll be right I think is more of a social thing, its a way of dealing with the stresses of life. Underneath even the most relaxed person there are often cogs wirring. Look at soldiers, firefighters, pilots. They ofen portray a relaxed demeanor off-duty, still they have to do all the things that cause stress.

And isn't Australia supposed to be quite anal about tickets and inspections(!?)

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:53 pm

Actually I like your can't be arsed v the she''ll be right.

The blind eye happens in the UK too, when the planes hit the towers in 911, did people evacuate Canary Wharf? I would have taken the rest of the day off. It's a work culture thing the world over; everyone at work has to fight being jaded...

The Aussie She'll be right I think is more of a social thing, its a way of dealing with the stresses of life. Underneath even the most relaxed person there are often cogs wirring. Look at soldiers, firefighters, pilots. They ofen portray a relaxed demeanor off-duty, still they have to do all the things that cause stress.

And isn't Australia supposed to be quite anal about tickets and inspections(!?)

Badge
There is an element of the She'll be Alright in Britain (what came first the chicken or the egg) but it is certainly stronger here. All wild generalisations. You are right that on the face of matters Australians can seem relaxed, especially the further from Sydney you get.

As for the ticketing remember there is always a wowser about.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I do think though the Aussies prefer to employ 'their own' rather than employ a British person.
Yep, every single one of our 5.1% unemployed are British & other nationalities apart from Aussies .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 18th 2005 at 1:00 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:05 pm
Badge

There is an element of the She'll be Alright in Britain (what came first the chicken or the egg) but it is certainly stronger here. All wild generalisations. You are right that on the face of matters Australians can seem relaxed, especially the further from Sydney you get.

As for the ticketing remember there is always a wowser about.
\

Indeed! cheers mate. You know something, my brother arrived in Australia almost off the plane from 2 tours in Iraq and the first thing about Australians he said was, generally, that they reminded him of soldiers - the same cameradie, relaxed but switched on attitude.

I thought, so its not just me then. I'm not going mad.

Badge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.