Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice
Default Re: anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
When everyone brings a 'piece of home' with them you end up with something like the Costa del Sol which has been ruined by British tourists/expats.
Yes, when in Rome and all that!

So no doubt some of the posters on here only eat bush tucker?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Gib's main problem is being attached to Spain.
I'd rather live in Spain than Gib. As soon as you cross the border the prices halve.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
It really baffles me herer that they can't be bothered to peel a potato and almost all use frozen chips virtually everywhere other than very good restaurants - drives me mad as you can't beat a good plate of chips when you are in the mood for them.
A fish & chip shop in Beaconsfield does "proper" chips! They do really nice burgers there too.

When going for fish, my choice here is usually Blue Grenadier as it's quite mild in taste. If not, then Barramundi. I definitely wouldn't pay $15 for atlantic cod/plaice/haddock - just don't see the point when I can get perfectly good fish for about $5 from a fish & chip shop.

Malt vinegar on the other hand would be nice to find at a chippy, if they have vinegar at a chip shop here it's white vinegar.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:06 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everyone is arguing over what flavour of sh@t to eat.

I have fish and chips now n again but it's hardly something I could eat even weekly, like all fried and fast food it is essentially crap on a plate.

Carting endangered species half way around the world to be dunked in batter and blast fried seems a bit unethical

Can't believe how much you all seem to be pining for tosh like this when there is so much local better, fresher, tastier and healthier grub to try?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Um, almost all of us don't rate the idea
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:21 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Seems everyone is arguing over what flavour of sh@t to eat.

I have fish and chips now n again but it's hardly something I could eat even weekly, like all fried and fast food it is essentially crap on a plate.

Carting endangered species half way around the world to be dunked in batter and blast fried seems a bit unethical

Can't believe how much you all seem to be pining for tosh like this when there is so much local better, fresher, tastier and healthier grub to try?
"you all seem to be pining for tosh"

I think, if you read the thread, you'll find that you just invented that conclusion. Presumably to make your horse just that little bit higher.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rambi
The mushy peas, curry sauce and gravy are the go (also English recipe beans). I wouldn't pay for the cod unless it was the same price as the other fish and even then I would probably go blue grenadier. Proper chips is also a good idea but then I've not found that to be a problem on the peninsula.
you must like frozen chips then. all most all takeaway food on the "peninsula" is over priced crap.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:12 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
you must like frozen chips then. all most all takeaway food on the "peninsula" is over priced crap.
Maybe I do. Or maybe I don't. But I've not had any problem finding decent chips around here. They taste a lot better than the crap I was subjected to in London. And cheap as chips too.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rossibennett
Got a fish and chip shop in mornington and iv managed to find an english company that is willing to ship me cod, haddock, plaice and scampi. Considering cod back home sells for nearly 5 pound a piece what would you expect to pay over here. There is a shop in Queensland that charges about 15 dollars for a peice. What do you think. I also do homemade chips not the frozen crap that everyone else does also curry sauce and mushy peas. Im in main st mornington Rossi Bennetts
Mornington is in need of a good chip shop we wish you well.by the way this site can be quite negative at times. BE = large pinch of salt.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:37 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I'm loving the irony
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If it were available in Perth I'd buy it. I miss cod. I like the big flakes.

Snapper OK, not as good though and you need to be a millionaire to eat dhufish and baldchin groper.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

rossibennett

I smell more than fish that's been shipped half way around the world!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
I smell more than fish that's been shipped half way around the world!
Yeah, more like an advertisement.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:26 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

O.K I'll admit it all We were at 'Chumley Warners' today in Birkdale AND we paid $15 for the poor overfished imported Cod .....plus heaps of big squashy chips, some Tango drinks and a pickled wally

But in my defense we WERE having an impromptu kind of a 'Pommy Day' We watched Morris Dancing before going to the British Shop (adjacent to CW's) where we bought Jelly Tots, Quavers, Adanms Broadside and Fudge. They had Radio 2 streamed from the Internet playing too!

Get your Demographics right and you could be onto a big something business wise CW's was heaving today .....in a good way lol!

Jan
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Can you buy barramundi in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.