Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

rossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Got a fish and chip shop in mornington and iv managed to find an english company that is willing to ship me cod, haddock, plaice and scampi. Considering cod back home sells for nearly 5 pound a piece what would you expect to pay over here. There is a shop in Queensland that charges about 15 dollars for a peice. What do you think. I also do homemade chips not the frozen crap that everyone else does also curry sauce and mushy peas. Im in main st mornington Rossi Bennetts
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone up for english cod in melbourne

North Sea cod is endangered and you want to ship it to the other side of the world?

I think you should look for more local, sustainable alternatives. Well you did ask
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:01 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossibennett
Got a fish and chip shop in mornington and iv managed to find an english company that is willing to ship me cod, haddock, plaice and scampi. Considering cod back home sells for nearly 5 pound a piece what would you expect to pay over here. There is a shop in Queensland that charges about 15 dollars for a peice. What do you think. I also do homemade chips not the frozen crap that everyone else does also curry sauce and mushy peas. Im in main st mornington Rossi Bennetts
sorry but personally i`d see it as a step backwards
the local snapper and chips is pretty awesome
why would anyome want to pay extra for fish just because its "british" ??
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

Yeah,

I have to concur and say the local fish is fantastic I particularly like flake or flathead.

Now in terms of "proper" chips then that is another thing and I would say you would be onto a winner especially with mushy peas, chippy curry and gravy.

It really baffles me herer that they can't be bothered to peel a potato and almost all use frozen chips virtually everywhere other than very good restaurants - drives me mad as you can't beat a good plate of chips when you are in the mood for them.

I do miss scampi though as there doesn't seem to be a local equivalent, oooh and Hollands pies!!!!!

Wish I hadn't read this thread now!!!!!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
Yeah,

I have to concur and say the local fish is fantastic I particularly like flake or flathead.

Now in terms of "proper" chips then that is another thing and I would say you would be onto a winner especially with mushy peas, chippy curry and gravy.

It really baffles me herer that they can't be bothered to peel a potato and almost all use frozen chips virtually everywhere other than very good restaurants - drives me mad as you can't beat a good plate of chips when you are in the mood for them.

I do miss scampi though as there doesn't seem to be a local equivalent, oooh and Hollands pies!!!!!

Wish I hadn't read this thread now!!!!!!!
must admit we made our own steak and kidney puddings last week it was rather good with a thick gravy
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:48 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

The mushy peas, curry sauce and gravy are the go (also English recipe beans). I wouldn't pay for the cod unless it was the same price as the other fish and even then I would probably go blue grenadier. Proper chips is also a good idea but then I've not found that to be a problem on the peninsula.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossibennett

The shop in qld is in an area that was flogged to death on forums by a few with business interests to Poms. Hence it does have a very high % of english people a lot of them older, retired plus families.

I know bayside melbourne gets a 'nudge' too, but I dont think the concentration of poms is as high as bayside brissie.

In business I am too a little wary of things people might do once, you need repeat customers, fish at $15 might be a novelty rather than regular purchase

Would I pay 15 for a bit of fish, no bloody way, but I dont pay over the top for english custard/bisto etc either.

We have a chippie here run by poms and one by aussies, The aussies give us more and nicer chips for the buck so we go there. As they often change owners we switch our custom accordingly - price and quality. To be honest in the current aussie economic climate if fish and chips for the family was going to cost me $80 I would just laugh and walk out I pay up to $8 for aussie snapper which I would pick over cod anyday and cod is $5.

Think the bottom line is people in OZ no longer have excess cash to splash.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people move to the other side of the world only to take the UK with them?

As much as I love proper English fish & chips, English fish & chips should stay in England.

Besides, frozen cod shipped half way around the world will never be as good as fresh fish caught locally.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
The mushy peas, curry sauce and gravy are the go (also English recipe beans). I wouldn't pay for the cod unless it was the same price as the other fish and even then I would probably go blue grenadier. Proper chips is also a good idea but then I've not found that to be a problem on the peninsula.
Harry Ramsden's had a English fish & chip shop in Melbourne once. It didn't last very long. There wasn't a great deal of demand.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Wow, cant believe anybody still eats cod. I did not even eat it in the UK, was trying to do my bit against over fishing. Sadly there will be none of them left for my kids to taste.

Rather try to make the best, fresh, local fish and hand cut chips. Then all kinds of people will be interested in it. Dont go with the imported cod gimmick.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Harry Ramsden's had a English fish & chip shop in Melbourne once. It didn't last very long. There wasn't a great deal of demand.
Similar story with Harry Ramsden's in Singapore. Even though the locals like anything foreign and the "British Chippy" still seems to be going strong after a few years, it sells scary shite like deep-fried sausages. Although I hear there is a new "proper" chippy now, not sure how long it will last before it goes the way of all the other fads like bubble tea and donuts.

(I used to live quite near the original Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley. I didn't rate it there, either.)
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:25 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I can see that. They were expensive in the UK.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:29 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Seasider
Similar story with Harry Ramsden's in Singapore. Even though the locals like anything foreign and the "British Chippy" still seems to be going strong after a few years, it sells scary shite like deep-fried sausages. Although I hear there is a new "proper" chippy now, not sure how long it will last before it goes the way of all the other fads like bubble tea and donuts.

(I used to live quite near the original Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley. I didn't rate it there, either.)
I went to the one in Guiseley back in the 80s. Just seemed expensive and the chips were not that good. Locals used to rave about it. I wondered if Yorkies just had a different taste for chips.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I went to the one in Guiseley back in the 80s. Just seemed expensive and the chips were not that good. Locals used to rave about it. I wondered if Yorkies just had a different taste for chips.
Yeah, I agree. I didn't think Harry Ramsden's was that crash hot in the UK either.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:39 am
Auntie Fa

No, we just didn't fall for they hype (Bryans of Headingley - now yer talking.)

The pub we go to for our Friday afternoon "offsite meeting" serves, according to many of my colleagues - a high proportion of whom are Brits - the best chips in Sydney. They do a mean roastie too. I upset the many veggies the other week by pointing out that they taste so good because they're obviously cooked in beef dripping. (The taste and smell don't lie.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.