Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Originally Posted by JR230898
Can you buy barramundi in the UK?
Looks like you can: http://www.fusionmarine.co.uk/news_barramundi.html
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Excellent.

Barramundi, especially natural salt-water barramundi, is one of the best tasting fish...and, it is also 'flaky' when it is a larger fish.

Cod?...yaaaawn.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:16 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

So, Rossie where are you?

Have you just taken over the shop or have you been running it for a while and thinking of extras you could offer?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

I think the OP should good business sense to ask on a website of expats if they were interested and thought it was a good idea.

Fact is, he probably got his answer, there is not enough interest to justify it given the quality is generally better here but fair play he actually threw it out there.

I often wondered, given there are over a million brits in OZ now, and a fair chunk of them in Melbourne whether a good business case to open a traditional British Pub with real ales, beer garden, good british food including the best Sunday Roasts in melbourne and plughmans lunches lol would work....

Obviously the Elephant and Wheelbarrows and usual crap irish pubs are a novelty and nothing like the real thing when done well, like some of the lovely country pubs.

How far can you take it...i dont see there is anything wrong with pining for the things you liked back home.. Decent curry house, British boozers, what ever floats your boat.

I guess opening the 'White Hart" in one of the suburbs is a bigger risk than ordering a tray of North Atlantic Cod..
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
From what I can tell online, they went bust in 2008.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont they sell the old London Favourite Skate ? You can get that here, but it doesnt taste the same.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I'd rather live in Spain than Gib. As soon as you cross the border the prices halve.
Indeed. Used to stay in La Linea and walk across to Gib in a few minutes.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
If it were available in Perth I'd buy it. I miss cod. I like the big flakes.

Snapper OK, not as good though and you need to be a millionaire to eat dhufish and baldchin groper.
Agree there, if the price was right. Used to buy cod and chips at my local Bayswater(London) chippie last year for GBP 4.50 and very nice it was to.

At The Magpie, in Whitby(Yorks) paid GBP 9.50,in the internationally famous resturant for a ,massive plate of place and chips with sauce. Utterly suburb.

Here in Perth at my local chippies I pay over $16 for schnapper and chips on the odd occassion I purchase it.
Seems rather expensive for the amount. Prefer British fish and chips myself,although found a great one in Bunbury(WA)in the late 90s that no longer exists.

In a pub or resturant these days the price tends to be $30 + way overpriced to my reckoning.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Agree there, if the price was right. Used to buy cod and chips at my local Bayswater(London) chippie last year for GBP 4.50 and very nice it was to.

At The Magpie, in Whitby(Yorks) paid GBP 9.50,in the internationally famous resturant for a ,massive plate of place and chips with sauce. Utterly suburb.

Here in Perth at my local chippies I pay over $16 for schnapper and chips on the odd occassion I purchase it.
Seems rather expensive for the amount. Prefer British fish and chips myself,although found a great one in Bunbury(WA)in the late 90s that no longer exists.

In a pub or resturant these days the price tends to be $30 + way overpriced to my reckoning.

Last time I was in UK I ate at harry ramsdens - to those who wish to point out how common this is.

6GBP for cod or haddock and chips and peas. The meal was so huge I couldnt even begin to eat the lot.

It was at kings cross station. I love those mushy peas. Kids thought it looked like evil green bile. They dont know what they are missing.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sherro
I think the OP should good business sense to ask on a website of expats if they were interested and thought it was a good idea.

Fact is, he probably got his answer, there is not enough interest to justify it given the quality is generally better here but fair play he actually threw it out there.

I often wondered, given there are over a million brits in OZ now, and a fair chunk of them in Melbourne whether a good business case to open a traditional British Pub with real ales, beer garden, good british food including the best Sunday Roasts in melbourne and plughmans lunches lol would work....

Obviously the Elephant and Wheelbarrows and usual crap irish pubs are a novelty and nothing like the real thing when done well, like some of the lovely country pubs.

How far can you take it...i dont see there is anything wrong with pining for the things you liked back home.. Decent curry house, British boozers, what ever floats your boat.

I guess opening the 'White Hart" in one of the suburbs is a bigger risk than ordering a tray of North Atlantic Cod..
I would think that there would be a business for something done properly and here in Perth such go down a treat.

Such places are sadly lacking.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:07 am
Just Joined

rossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the roughrossibennett is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rambi
So, Rossie where are you?

Have you just taken over the shop or have you been running it for a while and thinking of extras you could offer?
Hi there i took over just befor summer i am in main st mornington. As i used to run a shop in the uk i am trying to run this one the same way which means selling chips the only way i no how to which is making your own. I sell curry sauce and mushy peas because they sell really well. When people come in and see the way i do things and certain things on the menu like chip buttys they always ask if i do cod or haddock. Im not looking to take flake off the menu im just trying to work out wether it would be worth my while importing some so that when someone asks if iv got it i can say yes. 75% of my customers are english so I think it would go down well but thought i would put the feelers out there. Someone said to post a comment on here and see what comes back but wish i hadnt bothered now. There are a lot of muppets here aint there. Even if people treat themselfs to cod once a month at least they no its here if they want it. Also I think i would be able to beat a price of $15!!!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:23 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossibennett
Hi there i took over just befor summer i am in main st mornington. As i used to run a shop in the uk i am trying to run this one the same way which means selling chips the only way i no how to which is making your own. I sell curry sauce and mushy peas because they sell really well. When people come in and see the way i do things and certain things on the menu like chip buttys they always ask if i do cod or haddock. Im not looking to take flake off the menu im just trying to work out wether it would be worth my while importing some so that when someone asks if iv got it i can say yes. 75% of my customers are english so I think it would go down well but thought i would put the feelers out there. Someone said to post a comment on here and see what comes back but wish i hadnt bothered now. There are a lot of muppets here aint there. Even if people treat themselfs to cod once a month at least they no its here if they want it. Also I think i would be able to beat a price of $15!!!
Welcome back. You do have to have a thick skin on here sometimes.

I don't go to Mornington that often (I think I've been twice in the last year and one of those was ANZAC day). I love curry sauce and mushy peas on my chips. I like beans (Heinz English recipe) as well so I'll definitely pop in if I'm there around lunch time. I did check on street view so I know where the shop is. Is it still Peninsula Fish and Chips or have you changed the frontage?

There are a lot of Brits in Mornington so if you establish a reputation you should do well. Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed. Used to stay in La Linea and walk across to Gib in a few minutes.
La Linea is dirt cheap in comparison to Gibraltar.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossibennett
There are a lot of muppets here aint there.
You did ask for peoples' opinions... You got what you asked for and because their opinion doesn't line up with yours they are "muppets"?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambi
Welcome back. You do have to have a thick skin on here sometimes.

I don't go to Mornington that often (I think I've been twice in the last year and one of those was ANZAC day). I love curry sauce and mushy peas on my chips. I like beans (Heinz English recipe) as well so I'll definitely pop in if I'm there around lunch time. I did check on street view so I know where the shop is. Is it still Peninsula Fish and Chips or have you changed the frontage?

There are a lot of Brits in Mornington so if you establish a reputation you should do well. Good luck.
Looks like the veiled advertisement is working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.