Reload this Page >

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: anyone up for english cod in melbourne

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
This place in Melbourne does one of the best curries around and a take away main is about $16. They've been around for well over 20 years and the repeat business speaks for itself. It blows away anything I've had in the UK (and I've had a lot in the UK!).

www.khazana.com.au/
Any other recommendations (particularly Bayside)? In the year I've been here (and probably 5 curry places - I'm not so prolific over here, in Yorkshire it was a weekly thing.....), I've not found one that's as good as a whole heap in Bradford, but I'm still on the hunt with an open mind....

Cheers!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:29 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossibennett
Hi there i took over just befor summer i am in main st mornington. As i used to run a shop in the uk i am trying to run this one the same way which means selling chips the only way i no how to which is making your own. I sell curry sauce and mushy peas because they sell really well. When people come in and see the way i do things and certain things on the menu like chip buttys they always ask if i do cod or haddock. Im not looking to take flake off the menu im just trying to work out wether it would be worth my while importing some so that when someone asks if iv got it i can say yes. 75% of my customers are english so I think it would go down well but thought i would put the feelers out there. Someone said to post a comment on here and see what comes back but wish i hadnt bothered now. There are a lot of muppets here aint there. Even if people treat themselfs to cod once a month at least they no its here if they want it. Also I think i would be able to beat a price of $15!!!
Hi rossibennett - yes there are plenty of muppets here. I am one of them, and now you are too. I hope you stick around.

Here's my advice, for what it's worth. If you notice that you get frequent requests from your customers for cod, then import the cod and sell it. If your customers don't ask you for it, you can try it out by all means, but don't expect to set the world on fire.

There is a fish & chip shop at peregian beach, I'm not sure if it still being run by the same scottish lady that it was back in late 2007. Perhaps it is. It sold British style fish and chips, but at a regular price. It was extremely popular. I couldn't see any imported fish on the menu.

There is a fish & chip shop at sunshine beach at Duke street. It is very popular. Prices are cheap/reasonable....not expensive. It is run by a former chef. The calamari is delicious. The portions are generous. Whatever fish I've purchased from there, has been delicious. The owner has diversified a little and sells frozen thai curries too, for cooking at home. Business is booming for this owner.

Again - I didn't notice any imported fish on the menu.

Now this chippy at sunshine beach, is in the same location as two previously failed fish and chip shops. The customers were always there, but the businesses failed.

I reckon you should focus on providing top quality fish & chips at a reasonable price, and you'll do well.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumble69
Any other recommendations (particularly Bayside)? In the year I've been here (and probably 5 curry places - I'm not so prolific over here, in Yorkshire it was a weekly thing.....), I've not found one that's as good as a whole heap in Bradford, but I'm still on the hunt with an open mind....

Cheers!
Can't help you around Mordialloc way. Haven't been around that way for years. Bengal Tiger in South Melbourne is not bad. Haven't had anything in Oz better than Khazana and people drive from all over Melbourne to eat there (well the ones that know about it do).
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Fair enough, I'll add it to the list, cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:30 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Why not gild the lily and have Only Fools and Horses playing on a screen behind the counter, like the tosspot english breakfast places in Spain?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Why not gild the lily and have Only Fools and Horses playing on a screen behind the counter, like the tosspot english breakfast places in Spain?
Egg and chips and pint of Watney's Red Barrel for brekkie?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

This place in Melbourne does one of the best curries around and a take away main is about $16. They've been around for well over 20 years and the repeat business speaks for itself. It blows away anything I've had in the UK (and I've had a lot in the UK!).

www.khazana.com.au/
So you have found 1 good Indian in Melbourne. wow that just proves that it is really not typical to find a good one. In the UK there are many poor and average Indian restaurants but every area will also have its share of excellent ones. I often call in at the Indian cafe/supermarket next to the temple south of Dandenong, about as authentic as you will get in Melbourne and still not a patch on the Punjabi restaurants of Southhall.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
So you have found 1 good Indian in Melbourne. wow that just proves that it is really not typical to find a good one.
No, that's just one particular one that I recommend. Do you honestly think I am going to write about every Indian restaurant I frequent? What do you think I am, a restaurant critic?

In the UK there are many poor and average Indian restaurants but every area will also have its share of excellent ones. I often call in at the Indian cafe/supermarket next to the temple south of Dandenong, about as authentic as you will get in Melbourne and still not a patch on the Punjabi restaurants of Southhall.
There is no decent Indian in Dandenong, if there was I would know about it. In fact there is nothing decent in Dandenong. It's a shithole from hell. You need to get to know Melbourne a bit more.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's just one particular one that I recommend. Do you honestly think I am going to write about every Indian restaurant I frequent? What do you think I am, a restaurant critic?

There is no decent Indian in Dandenong, if there was I would know about it. In fact there is nothing decent in Dandenong. It's a shithole from hell. You need to get to know Melbourne a bit more.
So let me get this right, the restaurant next to a large hindu temple catering nearly exclusively to Indians is a shithole with crap indian food? strange. Dandenong with one of the largest indian communities doesn't have any decent Indian food? strange. Sounds like it is after all quite difficult to get decent Indian food.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:58 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
So let me get this right, the restaurant next to a large hindu temple catering nearly exclusively to Indians is a shithole with crap indian food? strange. Dandenong with one of the largest indian communities doesn't have any decent Indian food? strange. Sounds like it is after all quite difficult to get decent Indian food.

So let me get this right, Deancm_MKII isn't the font of all wisdom? Strange.

Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
So let me get this right, Deancm_MKII isn't the font of all wisdom? Strange.

No, that would be me.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:57 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No, that would be me.
hmm. So where is the best Indian restaurant in Dandenong then, moneypenny?!

FWIW, the best Indian meals I've had in this area, have been from Bombay bliss (chermside). Tried all of the ones in the city/valley/new farm, but haven't been too impressed. Haven't tried any on the southside or gold coast yet.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the best Indian meals I've had in this area, have been from Bombay bliss (chermside). Tried all of the ones in the city/valley/new farm, but haven't been too impressed. Haven't tried any on the southside or gold coast yet.
Sorry, font just dried up. Only one I've been to in Brissie is the Bayside one and I have to say I was very unimpressed after hearing the place being praised to the skies by bods on here. Been to quite a few here and have found a few that we really like, however as with anything it's a personal thing and what's good for one is shite for another and visa versa.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:38 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
he is right there is a lot of muppets on here. i call them the self opinionated soap box mob.lol
been a member of this site for all most 8 years now seen it all.
Whose soapbox did you borrow for this little rant? Loving the irony

Originally Posted by robert cowan
you must like frozen chips then. all most all takeaway food on the "peninsula" is over priced crap.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:41 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Only been to a cafe there (which was good) but I would try one in Little India near the station if I was in Dandenong in the evening (which is unlikely )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.