Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
These are interesting times.

How often do these opportunities arise in life?
Probably not often

Am considering tranfering a chunk of OZ money to UK, even if we never buy a house there, its my guess the exchange rate wont stay like this and a lot of money will be made when the assie dollar drops again.

Been typing some figures into the oz forex site but havent been game to hit the send button

Of course there is a catch once you transfer money to UK it no longer earns the 6% intrest it does in oz.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Probably not often

Am considering tranfering a chunk of OZ money to UK, even if we never buy a house there, its my guess the exchange rate wont stay like this and a lot of money will be made when the assie dollar drops again.

Been typing some figures into the oz forex site but havent been game to hit the send button

Of course there is a catch once you transfer money to UK it no longer earns the 6% intrest it does in oz.
In your shoes I think I would only send money to the UK if it was to buy a property. There's talk of more properties going on the market lately and the likelyhood that prices will drop a bit soon.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...age_id=57&ct=5.

I've noticed in our local papers that the pendulum seems to be swinging back towards a higher proportion of properties for sale against the number of those to let.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:23 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by koalakim
What and spend even more time in the Monash car park getting to the toll section?!
It's got a lot better recently.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
1 minute later = GBP 478k.
A few hours later GBP480k. ($1.6299)
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
I'm not sure I agree with this. Today against the AU$ the pound slid a massive 1.12%. Yet against the Euro and US$ it only went down 0.18-0.35%. I would argue that it is the strength of the AU$ that is particularly killing the £/AU$ exchange rate at the moment. There has been suggestion of an October recovery for the £ but we're looking at at least 6 - 12 months I reckon.
Depends on the timeframe I suppose, YTD GBP/AUD is down about 9% and GBP/USD down 7.2% the Euro has problems too (the PIGS) yet we're performing even worse than them (about 2%). If you really want an extreme example GBP/JPY is down 10.2%.

I fully agree the Australian economy is heading in the opposite direction to the UK one, and doesn't look like changing soon. The only threats I see are a downturn in China (more possible than it first seems, boy do they have a property bubble), or raising interest rates too fast, killing the consumer who's already very heavily debt burdened.

Maybe fairest to say the £ is weak across the board but especially against the AUD and JPY.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:17 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
A few hours later GBP480k. ($1.6299)

beat ya
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks liek UK buget is being announced today - Labour want to keep spendin to safeguard the "recovery" (what recovery), Tories want to start spening cuts immediately to balance the budget.

If you want a stronger (less weak) pound vote Conservative IMHO.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

These are interesting times.

Selling my house here in Perth now would realise a lot of GBP in hand (no mortgage)@1.63. Doing some sums, I could buy a nice house with half and have enough left over to sem-retire - in my mid-40's.

How often do these opportunities arise in life?

Very interesting times indeed.
Yes, but you'd have to live in the UK. Considering the prospect of spiralling government debt over there, you can bet taxes are going to go up and public services and infrastructure will be in decline. Meanwhile, if Australia plays it cards right, it could be another Norway.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Yes, but you'd have to live in the UK. Considering the prospect of spiralling government debt over there, you can bet taxes are going to go up and public services and infrastructure will be in decline. Meanwhile, if Australia plays it cards right, it could be another Norway.
True, I have no great desire to live in the UK but if I could semi-retire I could live in France, Belgium, Spain etc and work 3-4 months of the year in the UK or Australia.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Meanwhile, if Australia plays it cards right, it could be another Norway.
Full of men with pointy horns stuck on their hats?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

True, I have no great desire to live in the UK but if I could semi-retire I could live in France, Belgium, Spain etc and work 3-4 months of the year in the UK or Australia.
Plenty of cheap houses going in Spain, and 20% unemployment, and one of the next to suffer riots & national strikes when their govt announces "austerity measures". Same issues as the UK (but sunnier and with a huge, popped real estate bubble), anyones guess who'll end up worse!

Last edited by freebo; Mar 10th 2010 at 10:20 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich;8409044]Probably not often

QUOTE]

I'm not so sure Sterling will rebound anytime soon after reading this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...boost-exports/

I found the following comment posted by a reader quite interesting:

"A low Sterling would only boost exports if there was anything in Britain that was been made for the expport markets. If low currencies were a requirement for increasing exports, then Zimbabwe would be an economic powerhouse. The erosion of Britain’s skill base can not be overcome with by a low pound."
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Budawang;8409512]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Probably not often

QUOTE]

I'm not so sure Sterling will rebound anytime soon after reading this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...boost-exports/

I found the following comment posted by a reader quite interesting:

"A low Sterling would only boost exports if there was anything in Britain that was been made for the expport markets. If low currencies were a requirement for increasing exports, then Zimbabwe would be an economic powerhouse. The erosion of Britain’s skill base can not be overcome with by a low pound."
Fair enough but my understanding of this is that there is a lag effect of the benefit of weaker currency on exports. I reckon in a year's time it will be a different story.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Amazulu;8409600]

Fair enough but my understanding of this is that there is a lag effect of the benefit of weaker currency on exports. I reckon in a year's time it will be a different story.
Maybe, but the UK exports very little in terms of goods and most are made of imported raw materials, which get corresponingly more expensive when £ is weak.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Amazulu;8409600]

Sure, there may be a lag. However, cheap labour brought about by a devalued currency will only help so much. There are many other factors to consider such as economic and political stability and a good vocational education system. As others have pointed out, a falling currency also adds cost by way of more expensive imported inputs.

Britain has to rebuild its manufacturing base and turn from being a country of shopkeepers and bankers to one that makes things. This will require Britain becoming attractive to foreign investors. Rebuilding confidence in Britain will require stabilising the currency and getting government debt under control. There's a long, hard road ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.