Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

As long as you don't plan on driving anywhere, you may be ok with £500. If you do plan on driving, just budget in that it costs approx. £25 in petrol to drive 100 miles over here.

I'm not so sure that it has bottomed out yet. I still think 1.50 is a strong possibility. And that's from someone in the UK wanting it to shoot back up so I can change my £ to $.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The Australian economy is heavily dependant on exporting raw materials to China, any trouble with the Chinese economy will have a big impact on Australias, and on the AUD.

There are several reasons to beleive trouble may be brewing in China

1) Possible trade war with the USA

2) Massive Chinese property bubble, and general inflation concerns

3) Pressure on China to revalue its currency

4) Possible "double dip" recession in the west (USA and Eurozone) which will hurt Chinese exports

5) Misreporting of Chinese financial statistics, alleged systemic corruption

Then just yesterday China daily reports China is likeley to run a trade deficit in March

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_9619515.htm

Of course none of the above may actually happen, but I take the forecasts of straight line economic growth for the next 10 years in Australia with a pinch of salt, and note with interest the fact that Australia has among the highest level of personal debt in the developed world.

Last edited by freebo; Mar 23rd 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:52 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie
i also think that you are right £500 won't last you long, it is not as cheap as you might think, i do giggle when people talk about chocolate at $2.50 and then $.99 cents in woolies, to buy uk £0.60p to£0.65p getting pricey here now, about a 1$ but that can change by the hour.
Never mind chocolate - its the price of beer that matters! £3.50 a pint in my local - no bloody recession in the SW!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Funnily enough so did I this week, I reckon its run its course. £500 won;t last you long though!
Sure, GBP500 is just for when it's not convenient/easy to use a credit card.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:11 am
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Never mind chocolate - its the price of beer that matters! £3.50 a pint in my local - no bloody recession in the SW!
hehehehehehehe
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
ie, the pub.

As that's about the only place in the UK where I don't use my cards. I even used my card for buying a 12p onion in Somerfields the other day. Cash is so last year. Unfortunately, the pub is the only place that won't accept cards, unless spending over £10.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
ie, the pub.

As that's about the only place in the UK where I don't use my cards. I even used my card for buying a 12p onion in Somerfields the other day. Cash is so last year. Unfortunately, the pub is the only place that won't accept cards, unless spending over £10.
set a tab up then.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eugene43
set a tab up then.
Now that would just encourage me to have more than one!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Now that would just encourage me to have more than one!
And the downsuide to that?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
set a tab up then.
I always put my card behind the bar. It helps me to think of drinking for the sake of my airmiles.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, but what if the rate slides back up nearer to 2:1 in the next few months?

I still have UK accounts so just transfer money in there and just use that.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Freebo's analysis is right on the ball[corrupt stats' etc]--the question is what will cause the downturn-China or the wests economic woes??
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilf70
Freebo's analysis is right on the ball[corrupt stats' etc]--the question is what will cause the downturn-China or the wests economic woes??
Funnily enough, I'm just reading about that right now. Its a 12 page report but for those interested its a must read.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28824145/G...te-Paper-China
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

freebo--thanks for above article;just off to read and consider it.Thanks;the whole economic scene at the moment really worries me;I see a new 1930's hovering just off stage
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Freebo;thanks for pointer to article;very prescient--the question is;when will the manure hit the fan,rather than if it will.All the optimists[re this housing boom is different and we are in Australia away from your problems]should be forced to read this an then try to write an essay in refutation.Frankly I find our collective economic futures one of stark terror--which may[and I hope I'm wrong]be worse than the thirties and we have to go back much longer to get some 'feel' for the depths of the economic woes we are about to suffer[Germany under the Weimer??]Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.