Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old May 20th 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

johnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

May explain whats going on,

Dated 20.5.2010

SPOOKED foreign investors are hurling the Australia dollar over a cliff as they search for a safer nation to park their cash.

In one of the biggest five-day slides in its history, the dollar fell almost 8 per cent to US83c and is now a staggering 12 per cent off its April highs, causing headaches for importers and travellers heading overseas.

For consumers, the drop will push up the prices of imported electrical goods and cars.

The Aussie dollar is considered by the global investment community as a risky option in times of economic uncertainty due to the nation's leverage to the commodity prices and and concerns about the mining super profits tax.

It is even falling in value this week against the troubled euro, which is itself under severe pressure courtesy of the European sovereign debt crisis.

A cocktail of international and local events had fuelled the fall and it was likely to remain under pressure for some time.

"There definitely has been a tremendous amount of offshore focus on the potential impact of the resource super tax by some longer term investors in the Australian dollar and we are seeing some signs of softening in China," Westpac chief currency strategist Robert Rennie said.

"I think those factors, on top of the ongoing concerns about capital flight from Asia that's beginning to show up, and the potential impact of Greece and Europe funding, all collided."

Other analysts said investors, who previously bought the dollar because it delivered a higher interest rate yield compared with other currencies, had deserted the currency.

Commsec economist Savanth Sebastian said: "Global fund managers are exiting in a big way the carry trades that they took up mid-way through last year."

Moves by Germany's regulator to ban naked short selling has kept European share markets in a state of panic, although in early trade last night they had edged into positive territory.

From an exchange rate point of view it sounds good for us

From an Australian economy view, not so good

Still, long may it continue!!!
Old May 20th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Again for purely selfish reasons ive been watching the pound slide for a while now and am delighted with the weeks events especially as we prepare for the big cash conversion.....

What goes around comes around in most things in life i guess

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

1.76's now - seems unrelentless!

so nice to see it going other way as drastically as it sank!

To all those predicting Aussie parity with the US$ and £1.50 to the £

We're coming home, we're coming home, we're coming, pommy pounds are coming home!

Shame for all those greedy people holding dollars waiting to get 1.50 rate.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomerz
Again for purely selfish reasons ive been watching the pound slide for a while now and am delighted with the weeks events especially as we prepare for the big cash conversion.....

What goes around comes around in most things in life i guess

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Please do not run your own business because if you think you are been selfish your wrong its called opportunity but now it is a gamble to when you cash that opportunity in ? It could mean morgage free or not I know the figure I am looking for & it is not there yet.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnandjoanne
The resources sector will be making even more money therefore driving further investment - despite mining tax - and the overall economy. How is that a bad thing?
Old May 20th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Double fanastic for me as I transfer currency pegged to the USD. Had this horrible feelling it would be back up 90 US cents when I woke this morning, recent 90 cents has been killing me. Well this has put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

Hope it last until at least I have transfered my next mega Tafe bill in June.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by johnandjoanne

Still, long may it continue!!!
Excellent news for Australia.
Tourism has hits its lowest levels for 34 years due to the value of the A$ having risen so high. The hope in many quarters is that the A$ returns to more normal levels, and the tourism economy returns back to normal.

Old May 20th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The resources sector will be making even more money therefore driving further investment - despite mining tax - and the overall economy. How is that a bad thing?
I agree, it's the over strong AUD that was going to do the damage to export industry, and that's not just mining.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I've now covered all my short term AUD needs, hoping for further AUD weakness so I can move my real savings, but not so much I loose my job (with an investment bank )
Old May 20th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

We moved 3 weeks ago and at all times transferred the bare minimum. Transferred £3000 last week. Could have got about $200 extra if we'd have done it now. Ah well.

Total idiots that thought it was just going to keep going down. Often seemed to be the same people that hate Australia and want to leave. Negative fix in mind set maybe. Nothing continually goes down forever.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

We had just transferred the proceeds off our UK house sale a few days ago.

Pleased to see the rate is improving but a bit late for me!

Charlie
Old May 20th 2010, 11:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I am beyond excited!!!
Old May 20th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Get your trades in before the Euro mess is sorted out, as soon as that's over the dollar will climb again
Old May 20th 2010, 11:48 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Absolutely, great news for Aussie exporters. Great news for me too as my trading account in in USD and I've just made a load of money for doing nothing.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Absolutely, great news for Aussie exporters. Great news for me too as my trading account in in USD and I've just made a load of money for doing nothing.
The value of our UK cash (in relation to the AUD) has just jumped a lot and I've already bought our GBP and Euro holiday money.

Great stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.