Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:12 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Its the pound that's weak more than the AUD thats strong (although it is also), any number of reasons all of which are bad for the pound, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Currently at 1.64093 and almost 61 p to the Dollar ( XE Com ).

The balance of trade figures for January have just been announced and show an Eight Billion GBP deficit, the worst figures for eighteen months.

With a rudderless government and an election coming the only way for the Pound is down.

I've been checking house prices in the West Country and when you do the conversion to A$, they are getting more and more reasonable.

Maybe time to buy a nice little holiday home in Cornwall, somewhere to escape the harsh Aussie winter
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hino
Currently at 1.64093 and almost 61 p to the Dollar ( XE Com ).

The balance of trade figures for January have just been announced and show an Eight Billion GBP deficit, the worst figures for eighteen months.

With a rudderless government and an election coming the only way for the Pound is down.

I've been checking house prices in the West Country and when you do the conversion to A$, they are getting more and more reasonable.

Maybe time to buy a nice little holiday home in Cornwall, somewhere to escape the harsh Aussie winter
BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!
I'd be a mug not to really. Yesterday I found this little cottage in Polperro for GBP 150,000 ( A$ 246,000 ).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...%26index%3D220

Last week, in this area, I attended the auction of an ex housing commission dump that needed at least 30K spending on it.

In this area, these places usually go for about 170K. When I left the auction the bid was at 208K and still going up in 1K increments.

Living the good life in a quaint cottage on the harbour side in beautiful Cornwall, or living a life of constant agrevation and worry in a crime and drug infested ghetto in NSW for the same price.

Hmmm........ let me think ?

Last edited by Hino; Mar 9th 2010 at 9:00 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Last week, in this area, I attended the auction of an ex housing commission dump that needed at least 30K spending on it.

In this area, these places usually go for about 170K. When I left the auction the bid was at 208K and still going up in 1K increments.
Happened to go past an auction in Sydney the other week - yes it was in Sydney, but it was in Redfern. The place was a 2 bed mid-terrace single level dump!
Wet carpets, unidentified black liquid running down the yellowed walls, holes in the floor & ceiling, OUTSIDE toilet & bathroom...land size 114 sqm. Sold for $690k (GBP420k).
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
Happened to go past an auction in Sydney the other week - yes it was in Sydney, but it was in Redfern. The place was a 2 bed mid-terrace single level dump!
Wet carpets, unidentified black liquid running down the yellowed walls, holes in the floor & ceiling, OUTSIDE toilet & bathroom...land size 114 sqm. Sold for $690k (GBP420k).
in Cheshire where I live now you're talking 5-6 bedrooms in a country village, pool and tennis courts!!??

something's gotta give in Oz with house price bubble!?

Happened in states then UK & europe!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney and melbourne prices seem to have gone completely mental

Brisbane seems really cheap now, given its the next big city you have to wonder if the flow on will come here. However according to rels in syd and melb its all 'asian money' pushing the prices up down there, probably just a racist comment though given the OZ rels
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:02 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

It's a massive pricing discrepancy.... not all properties across Aus are overvalued, but lots are... and some of them are vastly overpriced.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
It's a massive pricing discrepancy.... not all properties across Aus are overvalued, but lots are... and some of them are vastly overpriced.

Trouble is, in OZ despite all the ahumm 'space' everybody wants to live in few choice areas and cities. More and more people choose to cram into the same bits, most of OZ simply has no appeal to anyone.

I am sure someone will find me the stats but I bet over half of oz's population is jammed in around melb sydney and brisbane. Most of the rest live very close to the coastline near these cities.

Its right overcrowded here really. Seriously has anyone driven in syd melb or bris lately, its a bloody nightmare
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sydney and melbourne prices seem to have gone completely mental
The Melbourne market is certainly too hot in my opinion.

Also a couple of months ago a place near me went up for auction. 2 bed end of terrace traditional style weatherboard. No off street parking, sitting facing down one road of a t-juntion.

This one was certainly liveable, but they'd done a very cheap & nasty reno on it which removed all the character of the place. Similar land size to the Sydney one.

The auction was funny cos the main road nearby was closed that day so the traffic was horrendous around the place. Then halfway through the auction a couple of the colourful St Kilda locals came swanning past swigging their super strength brew...added in their thoughts on proceedings!

Sold for $783k (GBP477k).
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:12 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Sold for $783k (GBP477k).
1 minute later = GBP 478k.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by asprilla
1 minute later = GBP 478k.
I cannae keep up!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously has anyone driven in syd melb or bris lately, its a bloody nightmare
A couple of Monday's ago we had to get to Docklands (Mellie) and took over 2 hours from Mornington and an hour of that was from St Kilda! Not far away for non-Mellie folks.

After living in Mellie for 3 years I now loath traffic lights and junctions!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by koalakim
A couple of Monday's ago we had to get to Docklands (Mellie) and took over 2 hours from Mornington and an hour of that was from St Kilda! Not far away for non-Mellie folks.

After living in Mellie for 3 years I now loath traffic lights and junctions!
I honestly don't find Melbourne traffic that bad...Brisbane was far, far worse.

If I drive from St Kilda to my office in South Melbourne (about 4kms away) it generally takes about 10 minutes. I can imagine it getting a bit hairy between there and Docklands though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.